What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Airbnb
Official Account

What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Homemade muffins, eggs, coffee and tea—we love that hosts go the extra mile to welcome guests. So many Airbnb hosts enhance their stays by offering breakfast items, ranging from grab-and-go cereal bars, to continental breakfast, to homemade buffets with local ingredients. It’s not required, of course; but, adding breakfast details to your amenities and listing description can help show off your hosting style, improve the guest experience, and make your property stand out in search.

Starting this week, adding breakfast details will be even more important because Airbnb has new criteria for classifying property types such as bed and breakfasts. Many hosts have asked us to help them distinguish their listings from professional listings such as hotels and traditional B&Bs—as those businesses require specific licenses and have different tax implications, depending on where you live—and we’re responding. If you’re a host who has selected “Bed & Breakfast” as your property type, we’re asking you to confirm your business license or adjust your listing in the next 30 days to help us clearly separate your listing and set expectations for guests.

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to adjust your listing and make the most of Airbnb’s breakfast amenity, as well as some tips from hosts like you.

3 easy steps to add breakfast details

1. Update your listing

Go to Airbnb.com, and click on your listing. Next to “Rooms & guests,” click “Edit.” If you have a licensed hospitality business, you’ll see a notification to review your listing and enter your business information. If you don’t have a license, change your property type from “Bed and breakfast” to “Apartment,”“House,” or another category listed in the drop down menu. 

1. Add breakfast as an amenity

Under “Amenities,” next to “Additional,” click “Edit.” Then check “Breakfast” if you offer it. Breakfast isn’t a requirement, but some hosts find it can go a long way to help guests feel at home:

• I check off breakfast because I stock the kitchen with breakfast staples, including coffee (French press), tea, hot chocolate, organic oatmeal packets, cold cereal, an assortment of yogurts, a dozen eggs, and fresh fruit. I let guests know in my welcome message that this will be provided and also ask them to tell me which kind of milk (whole, almond, etc.) they prefer so I can stick it in the fridge for them. But the most popular thing is the homemade muffins I bake for all guests.

—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A

• We don't have breakfast checked, but we do have ground coffee, tea, hot chocolate and instant oatmeal in the pantry.—Mark, Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.A.

1. Share details

Next to “Title and description,” click “Edit” to add any information or photos of what guests can expect. When writing about what you offer, use it as an opportunity to showcase your hosting personality, tell guests what’s on the menu, specify what time breakfast is available, or, if you don’t offer breakfast, let guests know there are grocery stores or cafes nearby. These hosts offer up some great examples**:

• I provide breakfast of tea/coffee with fruit juice, cereal, fruit, toast or freshly baked croissants (from our wonderful local bakery) in the large, bright kitchen diner which opens out onto the garden, or at the table in the garden on warm days. Breakfast is available between 7.00am and 9.30am, although I can provide it a little earlier if you have a plane or train to catch, or work commitments. I can provide a gluten free breakfast plus nut or soy milk if required. Please mention any dietary requirements when booking.—Rachel, London, United Kingdom
    • We provide a 24 hour "Refill Station" in the dining room where guests can get coffee, hot chocolate, tea and light snacks 24/7. In addition, we serve a "Light Continental Breakfast" of various cereals, yogurt, toast, fruit and baked goods along with beverages.—Francesca + Dave, East Burke, Vermont, U.S.A.
    • Breakfast with coffee, juice, toasted bread, etc. A good start to the day!

—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain

• Our legendary breakfasts, with homegrown and homemade preserves***, are served from 6 to 9 a.m. in our dining room or on the veranda in summer

—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa

When you’re ready, click “Publish.”

With the updates to property-type classifications, hosts have an opportunity to set expectations and stand out to potential guests by confirming or adjusting their listings. Plus, adding breakfast details can also help foster personal connections with guests and set the table—pun intended!—for a five-star stay.

Just take it from host Alan, of Angaston, Australia: “It’s rare to find accommodations [in the Barossa Valley in South Australia] that doesn’t supply cooked breakfast provisions. A little extra work for the host makes a happy guest—the smile on their face says it all!”

*Listing photos courtesy of hosts.

**Host tips have been edited for length and clarity.

***If you are preparing homemade food for your guests, consult your local rules around food service and safety.

90 Replies 90
Glen-and-Julia0
Level 2
Frederick, MD

In our area, as for some of the others who have commented, serving food we prepare requires a license and health department inspections.  We can (and do) provide packaged breakfast cookies, individual oatmeal servings, tea, coffee, etc.) that we buy from a store without such a license. 

Leslie423
Level 2
Buckeye Lake, OH

What about pre pre packaged items or yogurt in the fridge.  I currently leave water, coffee, tea & pop corn in the movie room. What would be the diffrence?  

David3294
Level 1
San Ramon, CA

Thanks everyone for sharing these great ideas and suggestions.

We are empty nesters nearing retirement age.  So, far Hosting has been a fun, positive experience for us.  And, we’d love to make the experience even better for our Guests.

Hi, we Airbnb our Minty Caravan out here in the country-side of the top of New Zealand. So we stock the caravan fridge with fresh from the cow (via a vending machine) milk, a loaf of an iconic New Zealand bread (sprouted wheat), local preserves, local honey, free range eggs (2 per person, per night) NZ butter & a chunk of nice cheddar cheese. Also, Geoff roasts our own coffee (with a popcorn popper), which we grind fresh daily & have some luscious loose leaf organic tea, or just the black gum boot tea, with all the necessary equipment already in the caravan. Guests often skip the whole deal... go out to breaky? or they make toast or take cheese sammies with them...? If they are here more than a few nights, we add a box of cereal or just top-up as needed. They can have their meal anytime, anywhere (outside in the garden etc.), as we leave it all up to them to prepare and ask them to leave the dishes for us to wash daily. That way we know they are clean & put away properly and it gives (mum) a break from the daily grind while on holiday. It works great with minimal effort. Sorry no special diets, but there is usually some nice fruit on the trees that they are welcome to pick & eat.

Georgia103
Level 3
Columbus, OH

I just had my latest guests post me a private message about my listing saying breakfast was included. I explained to them that when I 1st started hosting, Airbnb said if you provided coffee to mark it. I did not feel comfortable with this so I put in simple things like bagel or English muffins with cream cheeses and preserves. NOBODY ate them so I stopped putting them in the house. I have a whole house and am not there to cook for them and could not presume to know their preferences or allergies. I do ask on booking if there is anything they would like me to put in if they are late arriving. I am glad Airbnb has separated coffee from breakfast, as I had responded to them, that these needed separation. Imagine my astonishment when less than an hour after my response, this email came to me. Thank you Airbnb. Whole houses are a different accommodation to rooms in a private home (room sharing) which would truly be a bed and breakfast type listing. I love my Airbnb house and I love my guests. I will now modify my listing so guests won't be mislead.

@Georgia103 Yes, you have indicated breakfast in your amenities list and modifying your listing is a Great Idea, as a guest I would have been mislead.

Even if you have a Whole House listing and you choose this Amenity, per Airbnb,  you must supply a prepared breakfast  Your latest guest was very tactful on their part by sharing privately with you. I would let them know you appreciated their private comment. 

Best regards,

Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne191. Been there and done that. As I explained in my comment, that is past. Will be changing it shortly. Fortunately, I have not had any other feedback from the issue. And yes it was tactful of them but I would have expected that. We had a very good rapport, and, they are experienced guests so it was constructive criticism which I ask all my guests for. I can't always be assured of that even though I have been fortunate wth the type and quality of guests so far. Trying not to focus on "when the shoe might drop" with an overly picky booking. I will not be offering any type of breakfast. If there happens to be any type of edible breakfast items in the pantry, it will be a bonus and mentioned in their welcome letter when they check in.

Helen849
Level 1
Bristol, ME

We are not interested in getting a commercial kitchen license yet, however, we want to support other local businesses and farms. We have a refrigerator in the garage where guests have easy access to it and will be offering a breakfast package at an extra charge.

Local bacon/sausage, eggs from our farm, local butter and milk can be purchased as a package in a portion size for two. They can cook for themselves in the apartment and we can arrange to get local pastries or breads for them. The local food businesses need the business and can promote our apartment as well.

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

As far as i know, Airbnb is not saying that breakfast can be opted in of or out off.  This option would make bettter sense to be honest.

IF a person is interested in opting in for a breakfast there is a charge of course, however, what you can do is start a diaglog about any diet restrictions they may have so you can cater to them specifically.  

I do not believe in waste and just to have stuff there that goes unused and wil need to be tossed makes no sense to me.  

Opt IN or Opt OUT - now that makes sense

However, the guests that don't want to go out for breakfast to start their day bring their own food, park it in fridge and make their breakfast because its what they have decided they wanted.  I always have things here and tell them they're welcome (without charge.)   IF things change on Airbnb then I will start charging if people Opt In

@Andrea1063  If you choose breakfast as an amenity you have already opted in.

I don't do special request as you can have a request for apples at $5 .00 per apple!!!  etc...   I don't  want to waste food either.

Dairy, bread, fruit and juice are calculated per person(s)  and  # of days in stay.   

I find it easier to have all supplies on hand and indicate guests do the preparations, clean up and wash & dry the dishes. I send a message 5 days prior to arrival to let them know what choices they have and that there is one choice per group, not individual. ( Cuts down on waste and Cost) I also inquire if there are any food allergies. As I don't prepare, cook any items, serve or clean up I'm not required to have Municipal or Health licenses and don't fall into a more expensive Income  tax bracket.

Host have to study their options and make the best decision for themselves. 

Best wishes,

Yvonne

Jeff-And-Shannon1
Level 1
Spring Green, WI

Are there plans to add Tourist Rooming House as an option? We do not have a certified kitchen, but are licensed with our health department  asa Tourist Rooming House because we serve only prepackaged shelf stable good items.

Jeffery6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

At Aunt Sally's Vacation Home & Breakfast we provide a custom shopping service for breakfast groceries based upon the guests' actual request.  In other words, guests tell us what breakfast items they would like to have during their stay and we perform a personalized shopping trip to purchase exactly those items so that they are freshly stocked just prior to their arrival.  We ask that they are very specific and avoid generic terms like bread, milk, fruit, cereal, etc and instead list something like Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat bread, Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk, organic bananas, green seedless grapes & strawberries and General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios.  With so many dietary restrictions and food allergies you really can't assume that guests will or can eat random breakfast items despite how delicious they may be.  And our custom shopping service is unique (haven't seen it anywhere on Airbnb) because it is INCLUDED with your reservation!  It took many years of trial and error but we worked very hard to come up with an economical and cost effective formula (our comapny secret LOL) to offer this service and now we really enjoy providing it!  And Aunt Sally's Vacation Home & Breakfast has been providing this custom shopping service since we opened for business in June 2013!!!  As a result we have received EXCEPTIONAL reviews because of this very innovative idea!  Take a look at our reviews!!!  Safe travels everyone!!!

Vivian62
Level 2
Goodlettsville, TN

A great tip I have learned over the past couple of months is to buy bagels and have them sliced like bread. 4 bagels of different types with cream cheese will provide something for everyone with my large selection of coffee and teas, drinks and water. Since I’m from the south, I also provide sweetened tea! 

Zephyr0
Level 6
Monterey, CA

Since my guests stay in a separate house, I don't want to make breakfast every day. So I make 2 scones and put them on a plate with some raspberries and blueberries. I cover the plate with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator with a couple of Naked Juice smoothies. My guest house has a full kitchen. So I assume that they can make their own breakfast during the rest of their stay. The scones are from a Trader Joes mix and people seem to love them(I smother them with butter as soon as they come out of the over.

I also stock the kitchen with coffee, tea and honey.

Rona7
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I provide a ‘help yourself’ breakfast laid out in the kitchen which guests can eat at the dining table. A selection of cereals, porridge and muesli.  Tomatoes, yoghurt, cheese and salami in the fridge. Eggs they can cook in the egg boiler. Bread and jams. 

I look on it as an investment in my business. Not everyone eats breakfast, sometimes they just have coffee and toast but they usually appreciate the fact it’s there.