What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Airbnb
Official Account

What’s for breakfast? Hosts share tips, plus an important update from Airbnb

Homemade muffins, eggs, coffee and tea—we love that hosts go the extra mile to welcome guests. So many Airbnb hosts enhance their stays by offering breakfast items, ranging from grab-and-go cereal bars, to continental breakfast, to homemade buffets with local ingredients. It’s not required, of course; but, adding breakfast details to your amenities and listing description can help show off your hosting style, improve the guest experience, and make your property stand out in search.

Starting this week, adding breakfast details will be even more important because Airbnb has new criteria for classifying property types such as bed and breakfasts. Many hosts have asked us to help them distinguish their listings from professional listings such as hotels and traditional B&Bs—as those businesses require specific licenses and have different tax implications, depending on where you live—and we’re responding. If you’re a host who has selected “Bed & Breakfast” as your property type, we’re asking you to confirm your business license or adjust your listing in the next 30 days to help us clearly separate your listing and set expectations for guests.

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to adjust your listing and make the most of Airbnb’s breakfast amenity, as well as some tips from hosts like you.

3 easy steps to add breakfast details

1. Update your listing

Go to Airbnb.com, and click on your listing. Next to “Rooms & guests,” click “Edit.” If you have a licensed hospitality business, you’ll see a notification to review your listing and enter your business information. If you don’t have a license, change your property type from “Bed and breakfast” to “Apartment,”“House,” or another category listed in the drop down menu. 

1. Add breakfast as an amenity

Under “Amenities,” next to “Additional,” click “Edit.” Then check “Breakfast” if you offer it. Breakfast isn’t a requirement, but some hosts find it can go a long way to help guests feel at home:

• I check off breakfast because I stock the kitchen with breakfast staples, including coffee (French press), tea, hot chocolate, organic oatmeal packets, cold cereal, an assortment of yogurts, a dozen eggs, and fresh fruit. I let guests know in my welcome message that this will be provided and also ask them to tell me which kind of milk (whole, almond, etc.) they prefer so I can stick it in the fridge for them. But the most popular thing is the homemade muffins I bake for all guests.

—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A—Susan, Groton, Connecticut, U.S.A

• We don't have breakfast checked, but we do have ground coffee, tea, hot chocolate and instant oatmeal in the pantry.—Mark, Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.A.

1. Share details

Next to “Title and description,” click “Edit” to add any information or photos of what guests can expect. When writing about what you offer, use it as an opportunity to showcase your hosting personality, tell guests what’s on the menu, specify what time breakfast is available, or, if you don’t offer breakfast, let guests know there are grocery stores or cafes nearby. These hosts offer up some great examples**:

• I provide breakfast of tea/coffee with fruit juice, cereal, fruit, toast or freshly baked croissants (from our wonderful local bakery) in the large, bright kitchen diner which opens out onto the garden, or at the table in the garden on warm days. Breakfast is available between 7.00am and 9.30am, although I can provide it a little earlier if you have a plane or train to catch, or work commitments. I can provide a gluten free breakfast plus nut or soy milk if required. Please mention any dietary requirements when booking.—Rachel, London, United Kingdom
    • We provide a 24 hour "Refill Station" in the dining room where guests can get coffee, hot chocolate, tea and light snacks 24/7. In addition, we serve a "Light Continental Breakfast" of various cereals, yogurt, toast, fruit and baked goods along with beverages.—Francesca + Dave, East Burke, Vermont, U.S.A.
    • Breakfast with coffee, juice, toasted bread, etc. A good start to the day!

—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain—Yuliana, Madrid, Spain

• Our legendary breakfasts, with homegrown and homemade preserves***, are served from 6 to 9 a.m. in our dining room or on the veranda in summer

—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa—Mary + Buster, Sandton, South Africa

When you’re ready, click “Publish.”

With the updates to property-type classifications, hosts have an opportunity to set expectations and stand out to potential guests by confirming or adjusting their listings. Plus, adding breakfast details can also help foster personal connections with guests and set the table—pun intended!—for a five-star stay.

Just take it from host Alan, of Angaston, Australia: “It’s rare to find accommodations [in the Barossa Valley in South Australia] that doesn’t supply cooked breakfast provisions. A little extra work for the host makes a happy guest—the smile on their face says it all!”

*Listing photos courtesy of hosts.

**Host tips have been edited for length and clarity.

***If you are preparing homemade food for your guests, consult your local rules around food service and safety.

90 Replies 90
Sandra369
Level 2
Athy, IE

What is your average nightly rate as Airbnb in the last year have forced our rate down and mass availability in our metro Atlanta area has forced me to stop breakfast. I have a vast selection of imported European teas and coffees but that's it. It's not financially viable anymore. 

Eileen132
Level 1
Horrabridge, United Kingdom

I avoid waste by asking guests to say what they'd like me to get in for them to prepare themselves.  This way guests can cook, when and how they like.  It seems to work really well.  Some guests only want fresh fruit instead of eggs, sausages etc.

Terry226
Level 1
Mechanicsville, VA

Ok. I have gone to my listings and there is no “additional” to click under amenities.

As a traveler, I don’t  want or expect breakfast from any host. A well-stocked coffee bar with snacks is more than adequate. If there is a local deli that dishes out a really great croissant or muffin, that would actually be nice

HOWEVER, if you are traveling through temote areas, and in the middle *nowhere* like we were a few summers ago when we were traveling through Alaska, that’s different.

That host recognized the dilimma and came through in a BIG way, serving a full breakfast to every guest, and it was really appreciated. 

As a traveler, I never want or expect breakfast. A well-stocked coffee station and some snacks are always appreciated however.

HOWEVER..,a few summers ago we were were traveling through some remote areas in Alaska...in the middle of NOWHERE..,and the host we stayed with included breakfast.  

That was amazing. 

I suppose if there was a local bakery that had great croissants, that would be nice... but I would draw the line where any actual cooking was done by a stranger who had questionable culinary talents or sanitation.

Claudia1387
Level 2
Gulfport, MS

Yes but many of my guests are flying in and Ubering to the house after a late night flight without even an extra bottle of water. I've arrived, exhausted at an Airbnb at 11pm with not a bite to eat and nothing but coffee (which I don't drink)  and had to go back out, catch a bus and go get groceries. It's was disheartening.

Robyn17
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Because of city codes, we aren't allowed to serve food, but we have an ample mini fridge for people to store a few cold items. We provide tea and coffee (with sweeteners and creamers) so they can make it whenever they want.  We have a microwave but no toaster (too messy) or toaster oven (I'm afraid it will be left on and cause a fire).  The coffee maker turns itself off as does the tea kettle.  We're also only a block or so away from very good restaurants & a coffee stand, so we encourage guests to enjoy the neighborhood fare.

Barbara1615
Level 2
Burien, WA

I don't say that I provide breakfast but there is coffee, tea, hot chocolate, apple cider, oatmeal, granola bars and half and half for coffee or tea. If I have baked good, I will put out one serving for each guest. In addition, I have assorted snacks and soup for late night arrivals. There is also a small container of hard candies.

Wendy425
Level 2
Marlborough, New Zealand

My breakfasts are one of my biggest points of difference and they are so successful even if I wanted to stop them I couldn't. I live on a farm which helps in that we have the freshest produce - eggs, fruit, nuts etc. which I turn into granola, jams, jellies, breads, poached fruit. Home made is such an entirely different exerience. Having a good breakfast is one of holidays joys. I've developed recipes that make it all easy and I've recruited help for when I can't do it. It has been life changing for all of us.

L51
Level 2
Marietta, GA

I recall that a guest blatantly told me she had expected the use of entire house; however she would not share my kitchen. Such irony!

Sandi14
Level 5
Surf City, NC

We do not offer breakfast specifically, but I also stock the cabinets with coffee, tea, sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, olive oil, condiments, and other assorted spices - especially those used for our fresh local seafood. I list this info in my description. 

I also place a bottle of wine and a handwritten card in the fridge - these items get frequent mentions in our reviews. 

Plus, if previous guests leave behind items like oatmeal, or granola bars, I leave those in a basket for future guests.

What I'd like to see is a way to catagorize my listing as Oceanfront, and let people search for it this way, this is a huge deal in our beach town and would improve our listing.

Yvonne-and-Tony0
Level 2
Long Branch, NJ

We provide homemade yogurt, homemade granola and the milk of their choice along with organic fresh ground coffee and several tea options, homemade iced tea, filtered water and seltzer water (it's an East Coast thing).  I also have Dove chocolate in the bedroom along with homemade Kahlua and two fancy glasses. 
On weekends, I offer to make crepes or pancakes.  They know this before they come so I can plan.

On other things that I make sure of is that there is stuff to do.  So things in the night stand drawers are...
1. Playing cards

2. Adult coloring books and markers and pencils

3. An old set of novels from early 1900

4. Some great coffee table books

5. And of course, the Airbnb magazine

Marta794
Level 6
Portland, OR

We provide all the basics and let guests determine if and when they want to eat: tea, coffee (pot/french press), fresh fruit, pastries, muffins, yogurt, regular milk/soy/almond, hot cereal, granola, breakfast bars, eggs, various snacks plus more.

As an added perk we provide a complimentary bottle of red wine and a bottle of white, and a bottle of local craft beer. It's all up to them especially if cooking is necessary. With a full kitchen in an attached self-contained ADU, it's all gone quite well and we've received numerous compliments about the setup. As always mileage will vary with each Airbnb listing.

Cheers,

Marta and Steve

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

WP_20190923_001.jpgWP_20190923_002.jpgWP_20190923_003.jpgWP_20190923_004.jpgWP_20190923_006.jpgWP_20190923_007.jpgWP_20190923_008.jpgWP_20190923_009.jpgWP_20190923_010.jpg

A small selection of Breakfast cereals from my local supermarket, how does your supermarket or pantry compare?

My friend once came looking for me and said she checked to see if I was at my office (library) or pantry (supermarket) or home ...

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Here’s an idea. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Gl1V-Dfs2GY