Wisdom at Work: An interview with Chip Conley

Airbnb
Official Account

Wisdom at Work: An interview with Chip Conley

Interview with Chip Conley.jpg

We’re thrilled to welcome Chip Conley to the Community Center to share his reflections on the relationship between wisdom and work and how the Airbnb host community has helped shape his career. A longtime hospitality entrepreneur, Airbnb strategic advisor, author, and host champion, Chip’s investment in this host community has deep roots and a lasting legacy. His new book, Wisdom@Work: The Making of a Modern Elder, promises to reframe the idea of growing older as an opportunity to share knowledge and become a student again, as well. His book will be available in English September 18th with additional languages to come in the following months.

Q: You’ve been invested in hospitality and in the Airbnb host community for many years. How did that work inspire the wisdom you share in your new book?

A: First of all, I miss our host community. During my four years in a leadership role in the company, I loved traveling around the world while learning from our hosts. There’s an old saying, “Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens,” and I found our host community to be skillful listeners, but also remarkable contributors to the community as a whole. The “wisdom of the crowd” (our global host community) educated me quite a bit and I hope they’ll see some of their point of view represented in my new book which chronicles why the world needs to value wisdom in a world that is increasingly dominated by technology.

Q: What can hosts learn from your approach to wisdom in their own hosting journeys?

A: It’s been fascinating to be twice the age of the average employee at Airbnb during my five and a half years in the company (the last year and a half as a consultant). I’ve done my best to be a champion for our host community and, especially, those who are a little older. Brian and his co-founders really appreciate that hosts 50 and older receive the highest Airbnb guest satisfaction scores of any demographic. There may be a few reasons for this: more time to focus on their hosting skills, growing emotional intelligence (a key feature of great hosts) as we age, and maybe a longer-term commitment to hosting as a means of creating retirement income. I don’t think any age group holds a monopoly on wisdom, but it is a quality that one can cultivate and harvest over time.

Q: How has the concept of hospitality changed, or not, for you from your 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond?

A: When I started Joie de Vivre Hospitality in my mid-20s (1987), the company was one of the first boutique hotel companies in the U.S. We were proving that a growing number of travelers were looking for more of a personalized, localized hotel experience. Interestingly, we changed the title for our front desk agents from “clerks” to “hosts,” so the idea of hosting has been in my blood for 32 years. Over the 24 years I was CEO of that company, we created 52 boutique hotels, and it become clear that the big global chains wanted to start looking more like boutique hotels (more attention to design, better restaurants and bars, more focus on local experiences). When I joined Airbnb as the Head of Global Hospitality and Strategy, I saw this new home-sharing wave as being the boutique hotel innovation writ large as technology allowed Airbnb to take this localized hospitality focus and make it global. When Brian Chesky approached me to join the company five and a half years ago, he asked, “How would you like to democratize hospitality?” And, I think that’s what Airbnb and our amazing host community have done.

Q: What’s one piece of advice you would give a new host as they start out?

A: The common quality of our best hosts around the world is a combination of being very organized and very welcoming and empathetic. Those are different qualities, and some hosts may be better at one than the other, but those who can master both (sometimes it’s a couple who combine those qualities) will be very successful.

Q: What’s next for you, Chip? What do you want this next season to hold for you?

A: I continue to be a Strategic Advisor to Brian and his senior team. My process of writing Wisdom@Work helped me to see how many people in middle age and beyond desire to rethink their life and career but how few resources we have to support people in midlife awakenings. Thus, I’ve created the world’s first midlife wisdom school, the Modern Elder Academy, dedicated to providing the place and the tools to start reframing a student’s lifetime of experience. It’s a beachfront campus one-hour north of Cabo San Lucas in southern Baja, Mexico, so I’m back in the hospitality business again. We have people coming to join us from all over the world.

To read more about Chip’s book and the Modern Elder Academy, visit his website.

40 Replies 40
Chanden0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I have recently joined the ABNB community and love it. Been busy during the summer months. I agree with the article that seniors do have more time to welcome the guest and attention to details is also very important. I have had wonderful reviews from all my guests and my experience has been very positive. 

Relax by the pool, Brampton,ON Canada

Janice163
Level 2
Berwick, Canada

Some wise words! “Organized, welcoming and empathetic...” I totally agree! 

Lisa202
Level 2
Springville, PA

Death brought me here as a Widow ...

Chip? He thrills Airbnb executives ...$$$

Lisa202
Level 2
Springville, PA

I find as a host, I can't afford to book an Airbnb rental myself .. even with my 100 dollar certificate over the past 4 years ..

Let's hope ABnb will be affordable to the average or less than average person(s) in the future . I must be an anomaly on this site

Naomi15
Level 2
Aberdeen, SD

In people’s replies, there is a level given under their names. What is this?

Nina393
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

I joined Airbnb few years ago but now I host my spare room and my first experience I had  was great !  I believe to be a good host number one is  having your place clean  fresh and exactly how you  described it  ,I think your guest will appreciate that a lot , then if course welcoming , Also being helpful specially  if someone is new to the area  i’m sure they will appreciate it if you tell them about places to visit and to go eat and tour  overall try to make the experience worth it for them  and not stressful that way you will have good reviews and you  Will make new friends  and have more guests at your place,    And this  is not just about meeting people its about also making a living , good luck to you all !  I love Hosting ❤️!

Anna1645
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

I am very satisfied with the service of the site and carefully. From me a very positive attitude towards the Airbnb. I am grateful for this site.

Zoleka1
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Iam host for FJs Place B&B in Durban, South Africa. Thank you so much for the interview it was very informative, I love hospitality therefore I all give my best to my guests.

Regards 

Zo 

Maria2606
Level 2
Hudson, NY

I love this interview and it validates my feelings about being an air b n b host. I just turned 70 and in my past career I was a Director of Admissions at a local community college.  Being organized, having empathy and welcoming is a valuable attribute in fields where you meet people to help better serve them. I truly enjoy the air b n b experience and having these skills has only proven that your guests will truly feel welcomed and satisfied. 

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello Chip,

Great interview and some excellent advice again. Thanks for that.  I still remember the advice you gave at one of the Airbnb Opens about always telling potential hosts about 3 things that you can't offer. I still put it into practice.

Great job you are doing at the moment.

Fondly

Dieneke 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely to see you here @Dieneke0, I hope you are keeping well. 

It is wonderful to see you comment here, I am sure Chip will be chuffed to hear from you. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Anna24
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

this is a puff piece with no substance

Autumn4
Level 2
San José del Cabo, Mexico

Hi Chip,

I am a Airbnb host in San Jose del Cabo. I just watched the video on your website. I LOVE it...You have a beautiful place and have captured the true essence and vibe of the Baja. I have lived here for over 25 years and know many friends that would probably love to expirience your school.

Here is the link to my profile if you want to checkout our place, it is a perfect stopover between the airport and your place.. https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/5164967

Thank you for your awesome work, your students look so happy.

Fay46
Level 2
Negril, Jamaica

Thanks well appreciated i enjoy been a host on Airbnb and nice interview

Rachel477
Level 3
Cottage Grove, OR

Thanks for offering your perspective Chip!  I'm glad to hear I am part of that demographic (50+ years) that is very satisfied with the Airbnb experience.  My guests complete that partnership as they have been wonderful!  Please keep your sights on supporting hosts that are working on being "Green". 

Rachel Kyle

Mt. David Home & Guest 

Cottage Grove, OR