Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

HostQ&A-CommunityCenterGraphic-C.png

----------This message was last updated September, 3rd 2018----------

Update: We’ve gathered the questions and summaries of answers that were covered in the live Q&A. There’s lots more detail in the recording you won’t want to miss! To watch the entire answer to a particular question, just click “watch the full answer” after the question and we’ll take you just the right spot in the recording. Thanks for your feedback and for tuning in!

Why did you add new basic amenities requirements?

Our goal in requiring essential amenities was to meet guest expectations, as these are the items guest tell us they look for. But we’ve changed our approach and are now leaving it to hosts to choose whether or not to include essential amenities. For listings that don’t include essential amenities, we’re exploring ways to let guests know what to expect. Watch the full answer

Why did you change the cancellation policy, making it easier for guests to cancel at no cost?

We added a grace period to the Strict cancellation policy to encourage guests to book with confidence, and to make a way for them to resolve booking mistakes right after booking (as long as the trip is at least 14 days away and they cancel within 48 hours of booking). We have measures in place to make sure guests don’t misuse the grace period by booking more than one listing at a time or cancelling more than three times in a year penalty-free.

Your needs are top of mind as well. When you need to cancel due to an unforeseen situation, you’re covered under our Extenuating Circumstances policy to ensure that unexpected maintenance issues, sudden emergencies, and other covered instances do not impact your record or put an additional burden on you to bear the cost of cancellation penalties or guest rebooking. Watch the full answer

Can you request that guests have a profile picture? Can you share more info about guests upfront?

We’re committed to helping both hosts and guests feel comfortable hosting and traveling on Airbnb. And we understand that you may prefer guest profile photos so you can recognize and welcome guests when they arrive, but we’ve also heard stories of guests being denied acceptance based on their race or appearance. We’ve considered the solutions to the community’s needs carefully and are announcing new profile photo tools that we hope will address those needs equitably. Soon, hosts will be able to require guests to provide a photo before arrival. If you require profile photos, the small percentage of guests without them will not be able to request to book your listing until they upload one. If a host requires a photo, guests will be able to choose whether their photo is shown to the host before or after booking. We feel this is a fair way to address both host and guests preferences. Watch the full answer

You're constantly pushing me to lower my price, why? Who are you comparing me to?

Our tools help you set a competitive price and get more bookings when demand is low, which can mean suggestions to lower your price. But we’re launching improvements that better consider your market during periods of high demand. Soon we’re going to equip you with more data, not just pricing suggestions, to help you set your price.

As for comparisons, we look at successfully booked listings in your area with similar numbers of guests and amenities (listings you won’t see if you’re searching dates they’ve booked). We also look at what guests click before and after visiting your listing. Watch the full answer

What's the short-term rental legislation in my region? Where can I find info about it and ensure I'm compliant?

Understanding the legislation around short-term rentals is one of the first steps in becoming a host. Head over to airbnb.com/responsible-hosting for information about what rules apply to hosting in certain areas. It’s our plan to continue to provide all hosts with more detailed information about how local policies impact their ability to hosts, but in the meantime, we encourage hosts to learn the rules that apply to them before they welcome their first guests. Watch the full answer

Can you add an option to add extra fees for offering extra services?

We’re exploring ways for you to offer and manage these fees through the platform. The types of fees you’ve asked for fall into these categories: standard fees charged to every guest (like resort or linen fees, and local taxes) and optional fees charged for specific services guests could add (like breakfast or airport pickup). Stay tuned for updates! Watch the full answer

The review system can feel unfair sometimes. What are you planning to do to improve it?

We’re going to look into how one-off ratings affect your overall rating and impact your status in programs like Superhost. But it’s important for Airbnb to be a neutral platform for both guests and hosts, so we won’t remove reviews unless they violate our Content Policy. We want to give guests the chance to share their feedback— and for you to respond, too. You can always publicly respond to reviews.

Regarding reviews of your location, we understand that your location isn’t something you can change. But it is something that helps guests decide if it’s the right spot for them to book. Guests are asked to rate how convenient they think the location is, and that’s subjective, since preferences vary. This rating doesn’t say anything about the quality of your hosting or your listing and it does not affect your search ranking, overall experience rating, or eligibility for special programs like Superhost or Plus.

Correction: Previously we stated that guests who cancel before check-in, without seeing or visiting the space, shouldn't be able to leave a review, and that if hosts contacted us, we would remove reviews left by these guests. But it’s not always that simple. We only remove reviews which violate our content guidelines. We apologize for any confusion we may have caused in the Host Q&A. We take this seriously, and moving forward, we’re committed to being more clear.

When do you plan to expand Experiences to my city?

Since they began two years ago, Experiences on Airbnb have grown from 500 offerings in 12 cities to 12,000 Experiences in 180 cities, with more regions and countries soon to come. You can apply to host your own Experience at airbnb.com/host/experiences. Watch the full answer

Additional updates!

We couldn’t end the Host Q&A without sharing some exciting things we’ve been working on for you. We’re improving the reservation page so you can print, sort, and filter—and so the page is quicker to load. Your calendar will load faster now too, and we’ve made design changes so it’s larger, easier to identify blocked days, and so you can scroll to future months with ease. Finally, we’re working on photo services and tips to help your listing stand out in search like never before. Watch the full recording

We can’t wait to keep the conversation going here in the Community Center and in the next global Host Q&A.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

133 Replies 133
Pippa6
Level 3
Penarth, United Kingdom

Well, I have tried at least 10 times to post a question and I keep gettign the message that I can only use 300 characters. I have counted them in my question and there are 280. Why is the system not, therefre, allowing me to post as I am invited to do so????

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Pippa6,

Lovely to meet you. Sorry to hear you are having difficulties posting your question for the Host Q&A. 

I've just had a little look and it looks like it only goes up to 278 characters, so I have fed this back to our Tech Team as it would be nice to round it up a little! 🙂 In the mean time if you are eager to post, if you could perhaps find two characters you can lose from your question I am confident it will all work perfectly.

I am sorry about this and thanks so much for highlighting it. I look forward to seeing your question.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Pippa6
Level 3
Penarth, United Kingdom

Many thanks for getting back to me so promptly, Lizzie - and thanks for the advice duly followed. My post is now up - but it is misleading when the instructions online are that there is a max. no of 300 characters allowed when in fact, as you suggest, it is 275!!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

I tried to submit a 253 character question several times but it didn't work.

The software kept saying: "Message cannot exeed 300 characters".

The problem was, that I copy and pasted it in.

Then I typed the question in manually and it worked.

So others who would like to  ask a question may have to do the same.

Will the "glitch" we are experiencing on the CC where we cannot tag other hosts or upload pics be fixed any time soon?!?!?!?!? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

please. someone ask how airbnb came to the idea that 4.6 is at risk of  being delisted, 4.7 is the minimum target and 4.8 is a superhost....that 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 miniscule differences are treated as huge.  

James951
Level 2
Lancaster, CA

You need a procedure for none registered guests or registered guests to contact the host for questions when they can not have internet communications.

Frédéric80
Level 3
Kloten, Switzerland

Salve everybody

On the app the pre-recorded response layout has been reversed during an update; the edit response display corresponds to selecting a response. If you go to the website the display is correct.
It's just painful to have to scroll long to choose a message, when these are long 😉

Frédéric80
Level 3
Kloten, Switzerland

some useful suggestions:

1. on the app I can't reply to a comment like it's possible on the website.
  2. The profile photo should be mandatory.
  3. For Asian visitors, it would be useful if their first name was displayed in Western alphabet or better to include a new field for them "international first name".

@Lizzie I would really appreciate a thorough unraveling and explanation of the new SuperHost rules being implemented by Airbnb.  I know there is a very long thread in the community forum dedicated to this topic and overall hosts seem pretty hot under the collar about it.  Thanks!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michael-and-Dru0,

Thanks for mentioning me here. Recently we shared some more details here in the Community Center regarding the the changes to the Superhost criteria, I'm not sure if you have seen this, as this might help.

I also hope you will be able to join us for the livestreamed Host Q&A later today as Brian and the team will be answering some of the most asked host questions. 

It would be great to hear your thoughts. 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Ricardo309
Level 6
La Chapelle-des-Pots, France

Sounds like the same my query wasn't receive for being to talkative... I was proposing to argument any stars evaluation taken by our guests so it may help us to improve their stay more efficiently. Having an "old" house I can't change the whole plumbery so far... but I may change decoration for example...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just to highlight the next Host Q&A will be taking place today (June 27th, 6pm – San Francisco time) and the livestreamed event will be available to watch here in the Community Center. 

CEO and Head of Community, Brian Chesky and team, will be answering some of your top voted questions. 

We have some great topic being discussed, so I hope you enjoy. 🙂

Feel free to share your thoughts here in this thread.

Enjoy. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Hi @Lizzie Thank you for getting back to us so quickly!  We have seen the page you referrenced regarding clarity for airbnb hosts.  For the most part, it is spot on.  I think the rub that we, and many other folks, are having is what was so aptly described by Ute, from Germany (first response under the above referenced article).  She writes:

"Old requirements:.......... 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+1+1............... Average = 4,2................... Superhost ok.

Under the new terms You need a minimum of 10 reviews and an average of 4.8. That means: A single 2 star rating along with nine 5 star ratings will bring Your average down to 4.7 and You've lost Your Superhost status.

New requirements:............5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+2 .......... Average = 4,7.........Good bye Superhost

If You have 18 five star reviews and get a single 1 star review You have also lost Your superhost status.

New requirements:............5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5...........Average = 4,79........Good bye Superhost

...........................................5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+1

You have hosted 18 (eighteen) guests in a row that were 100% happy with their stay and You are fired from being a superhost. One single retaliatory review out of 19 reviews will kill You."

This is a very valid and important point.  Sometimes you get a guest who you simply can't please.  As superhosts we've had so many wonderful guests who left us 5 star reviews consistently.  Then, occassionally, there is a guest who you bend over backwards for, but you just can't make them happy.  They in turn leave you a poor star rating and that's it.  Under the new rules, the superhost status is gone.

In addition, I think there is a cultural element that is being ignored:  Europeans and the European education system never allow for a perfect score.  It simply doesn't happen.  You can never get a perfect score on an exam; professors allows say there is something that you can improve upon.  This makes it really difficult with the airbnb star system when hosting folks who have grown up in this system.

Also, I read a comment in a thread recently by a teacher who said: " I never give a 5 star review!  I work under the understanding that there is ALWAYS room to get better."  She went on to say that after a host explained the star rating system of airbnb to her, she knew what she had been doing wrong.  

Thanks for listening to these comments and yes, we will try and join this evening.

Best,

Michael & Dru