Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your June 2018 Global Host Q&A

HostQ&A-CommunityCenterGraphic-C.png

----------This message was last updated September, 3rd 2018----------

Update: We’ve gathered the questions and summaries of answers that were covered in the live Q&A. There’s lots more detail in the recording you won’t want to miss! To watch the entire answer to a particular question, just click “watch the full answer” after the question and we’ll take you just the right spot in the recording. Thanks for your feedback and for tuning in!

Why did you add new basic amenities requirements?

Our goal in requiring essential amenities was to meet guest expectations, as these are the items guest tell us they look for. But we’ve changed our approach and are now leaving it to hosts to choose whether or not to include essential amenities. For listings that don’t include essential amenities, we’re exploring ways to let guests know what to expect. Watch the full answer

Why did you change the cancellation policy, making it easier for guests to cancel at no cost?

We added a grace period to the Strict cancellation policy to encourage guests to book with confidence, and to make a way for them to resolve booking mistakes right after booking (as long as the trip is at least 14 days away and they cancel within 48 hours of booking). We have measures in place to make sure guests don’t misuse the grace period by booking more than one listing at a time or cancelling more than three times in a year penalty-free.

Your needs are top of mind as well. When you need to cancel due to an unforeseen situation, you’re covered under our Extenuating Circumstances policy to ensure that unexpected maintenance issues, sudden emergencies, and other covered instances do not impact your record or put an additional burden on you to bear the cost of cancellation penalties or guest rebooking. Watch the full answer

Can you request that guests have a profile picture? Can you share more info about guests upfront?

We’re committed to helping both hosts and guests feel comfortable hosting and traveling on Airbnb. And we understand that you may prefer guest profile photos so you can recognize and welcome guests when they arrive, but we’ve also heard stories of guests being denied acceptance based on their race or appearance. We’ve considered the solutions to the community’s needs carefully and are announcing new profile photo tools that we hope will address those needs equitably. Soon, hosts will be able to require guests to provide a photo before arrival. If you require profile photos, the small percentage of guests without them will not be able to request to book your listing until they upload one. If a host requires a photo, guests will be able to choose whether their photo is shown to the host before or after booking. We feel this is a fair way to address both host and guests preferences. Watch the full answer

You're constantly pushing me to lower my price, why? Who are you comparing me to?

Our tools help you set a competitive price and get more bookings when demand is low, which can mean suggestions to lower your price. But we’re launching improvements that better consider your market during periods of high demand. Soon we’re going to equip you with more data, not just pricing suggestions, to help you set your price.

As for comparisons, we look at successfully booked listings in your area with similar numbers of guests and amenities (listings you won’t see if you’re searching dates they’ve booked). We also look at what guests click before and after visiting your listing. Watch the full answer

What's the short-term rental legislation in my region? Where can I find info about it and ensure I'm compliant?

Understanding the legislation around short-term rentals is one of the first steps in becoming a host. Head over to airbnb.com/responsible-hosting for information about what rules apply to hosting in certain areas. It’s our plan to continue to provide all hosts with more detailed information about how local policies impact their ability to hosts, but in the meantime, we encourage hosts to learn the rules that apply to them before they welcome their first guests. Watch the full answer

Can you add an option to add extra fees for offering extra services?

We’re exploring ways for you to offer and manage these fees through the platform. The types of fees you’ve asked for fall into these categories: standard fees charged to every guest (like resort or linen fees, and local taxes) and optional fees charged for specific services guests could add (like breakfast or airport pickup). Stay tuned for updates! Watch the full answer

The review system can feel unfair sometimes. What are you planning to do to improve it?

We’re going to look into how one-off ratings affect your overall rating and impact your status in programs like Superhost. But it’s important for Airbnb to be a neutral platform for both guests and hosts, so we won’t remove reviews unless they violate our Content Policy. We want to give guests the chance to share their feedback— and for you to respond, too. You can always publicly respond to reviews.

Regarding reviews of your location, we understand that your location isn’t something you can change. But it is something that helps guests decide if it’s the right spot for them to book. Guests are asked to rate how convenient they think the location is, and that’s subjective, since preferences vary. This rating doesn’t say anything about the quality of your hosting or your listing and it does not affect your search ranking, overall experience rating, or eligibility for special programs like Superhost or Plus.

Correction: Previously we stated that guests who cancel before check-in, without seeing or visiting the space, shouldn't be able to leave a review, and that if hosts contacted us, we would remove reviews left by these guests. But it’s not always that simple. We only remove reviews which violate our content guidelines. We apologize for any confusion we may have caused in the Host Q&A. We take this seriously, and moving forward, we’re committed to being more clear.

When do you plan to expand Experiences to my city?

Since they began two years ago, Experiences on Airbnb have grown from 500 offerings in 12 cities to 12,000 Experiences in 180 cities, with more regions and countries soon to come. You can apply to host your own Experience at airbnb.com/host/experiences. Watch the full answer

Additional updates!

We couldn’t end the Host Q&A without sharing some exciting things we’ve been working on for you. We’re improving the reservation page so you can print, sort, and filter—and so the page is quicker to load. Your calendar will load faster now too, and we’ve made design changes so it’s larger, easier to identify blocked days, and so you can scroll to future months with ease. Finally, we’re working on photo services and tips to help your listing stand out in search like never before. Watch the full recording

We can’t wait to keep the conversation going here in the Community Center and in the next global Host Q&A.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

133 Replies 133

I just start hosting in June ..and waiting for guests ..the information Airbnb given is really good !!

Do you take a deposit from the renter so that if they pull out at last minute I do not lose 

what is the position re any damage to my property ? Normally I take a security deposit to cover this eventually and it is returned when Cottage is cleaned and checked over

Would like to address on the issue of cancellation & penalty. In regards of host being charged of penalty fee, I believe whichever cancellation option the host offers on his property (eg. Flexible, Moderate or Strict) should also be likewise applied for the host on his cancellation/penalty charge so its fair for both host & guests. So if host A offers Flexible cancellation policy for his guest (full refund 1 day prior arrival) likewise host A is entitled to the same policy of being able to cancel guest 1 day prior arrival without the penalty fee. If host B offers Strict policy (No refund within 7 days of check in) so host B must not cancel guest within 7 days of check in otherwise there will be penalty fee. Its like reciprocal relationship between what the host offers and host's penalty, and same applies to guests. Since cancellation policy of host is always shown for guests to check on anyway. 

Hey @Lizzie, thanks for sharing this. Could you pass some feedback to the team that conducts this on my behalf is possible?

1. 6000+ questions were asked and they utilized an hour to only answer 6-8. This is letting the hosts down. They could've really used the time much better and answered atleast Top 15.

2. I timeline of the questions would really help so that we can skip to the relevant parts of the video. The first 23 mintues weren't valuable to me and I'd have saved that time had I known when the Q&A starts.

Hope you've been well 🙂

Take care!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Just a couple of observations that I would like to comment on: 

Guest Profile Photo:  The response by Mr. Greeley was somewhat unclear.  It sounded like the host will be able to require a profile photo before booking, but in the same sentence he said that guests would be required to provide a phote prior to checking in.  Which is it?

Pricing suggestions:  The point about doing a search for similar listings not being a valid comparison is well taken since they are not booked if they appear in search.  My question, though, is when Airbnb does a comparison of listings successfully booked is the comparision based on the number of guests a listing can accommodate or is there a comparison of the actual accommodation.  For example, a listing can say that they accommodate 4 guests but that is because the couch folds out to be a bed.  I have a two bedroom, two bath house.  Are you comparing me to the listing with the fold out bed?

Location Star Ratings:. Yes, this is a hot-button issue.  Sadly a guest will give a low rating, but not say anything in their review which a host can't respond to.  It just shows up in a host's overall stats viewable by guests.  The problem is that guests don't know why a previous guest left a low rating and takes it as a red flag.  I really don't see the value of this rating, but if Airbnb want to see it, fine, but don't make it public. 

All in all, I thought the Q&A was very good and informative and I look forward to seeing more. 

Thanks!

Clare

Roman93
Level 2
Houston, TX

Just watched the Q&A. I must say, I didn't like the answer/explanation for the ratings system where only the overall rating is taken into account (the Location, for example, is pretty much ignored.) I've read other hosts' comments that I agree with stating that when you have a modest place (as we do), guests may only give you 4 stars, since you don't have an overly impressive or grandiose palace. We've had this happen a few times. The subcategories all have 5 stars. The overall, only 4. That will kill your superhost status.

I would like to see Airbnb develop an algorithm that takes ALL of the guest feedback into account. Otherwise, why even pose those questions?

Linda-And-Marc0
Level 4
San Jose, CA

Just trying to get a recap!

Christopher237
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi there.  If I save money while traveling but at the same time play a role in the “draining of the housing supply” which results in my rent being 2x-3x the amount it would be without the existence of airbnb and other vacation rental sites, am I am not really saving when I travel but only transferring expenses from one area of my life to another?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/airbnb-draining-rental-housing-supply-in-canada-s-three-biggest-cities-study-1...

Christopher237
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi there. If I save money by using Airbnb while traveling but at the same time play a role in the “draining of the housing supply” which results in my rent back home being 2x-3x the amount it would be without the existence of airbnb and other vacation rental sites, am I am not really saving when I travel but only transferring expenses from one area of my life to another?
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/airbnb-draining-rental-housing-supply-in-canada-s-three-biggest-cities-study-1...

Ed128
Level 2
Arroyo Grande, CA

We left B&B.com & Booking.con after 13 years with them, because we needed AirB&B Insurance; however, we have only had one client schedule since 3/1/18.  With the other two we were full every week end from May to September.  We reduced the price as AirB&B suggested but still no clients.  Every thing is the same except we are now with you with no clients.  Not interested in excuses, figure out whats wrong on your part.  It is not us we were very successful.

Ayelet2
Level 2
Leonia, NJ

Can you add culture or religious charecrers to airbnb ? For example we are looking for a kosher accomodation..

Thanks  [Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

After being bombarded by Airbnb to try “instant book”.. I allowed access to this facility.

My first experience was positive .  My next experience makes me question that Airbnb has

hosts interests one of their priority’s. I cancelled a booking half an hour after it was booked because I was unable to return home due to weather conditions and cancelled flights. I rang airbnb as soon as I cancelled. Basically the response received was bad luck..we will fine you $100

and remove your superhost status...it has left me feeling much less supportive of AirBnB...

my previous good record was wiped away as Airbnb posted “Cancelled one day before

guest arrived” on their site. 

Joanna230
Level 1
Wedmore, United Kingdom

I have been trying so hard to become a super host with my 3 listings and so nearly there but it seems to me that you only need one person every so often who will give you 4 stars instead of 5 for everything and can never quite get there. Many people will give 4 stars even if everything is excellent as they believe this is very good . They have no complaints at all.  So annoying

Why are you stopping the option for co-host to receive their share of the earnings coming from the Airbnb payment system 

this will make co-hosting impossible  

in my case co hosting is just not going to be an option anymore and it is very disappointing g this is going to affect many people and is very unfair to stop this option now that people have using this as an established form of payment 

what is the reason behind it?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rosabel1,

Lovely to meet you. Just to let you know, we have just shared some more background around the recent update regarding Co-hosting payments. To read more, take a look here.

I hope this helps.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.