Your Next Global Host Q&A

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your Next Global Host Q&A

Host Q&A.jpg

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who submitted and upvoted questions for the Host Q&A. The full video of the event is now available to watch, plus if you are short of time, you can also read a summary of the answers. Take a look here

This thread is your space to discuss all things Host Q&A related—your favorite moments, thoughts on the format, and feedback on the answers. Past Q&A’s have inspired important discussion and direction, so keep your ideas and thoughts coming below.

Thanks,

Lizzie

Last updated October 9th, 2018

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

7 Replies 7
Idan11
Level 1
Israel

Can a guest whom I did not pre-approve of automatically book a reservation?

This is what the suggested article says about pre-approval:
"A pre-approval is a way for host to let guests know that their listing is available when asked about a potential reservation. Once pre-approved, the guest can automatically confirm a booking for the specific dates provided."

So, what should we assume about a guest that I did NOT pre-approve? That they can't automatically confirm a booking!

Yet, I did not pre-approve this reservation, and somehow they were automatically booked!

Please, help me resolve this issue and tell me why did I receive a cancellation penalty, when I never approved of this reservation in the first place.

Thanks,
Idan

Hi, I may have missed any response to the biggest question as to why Location is part of a rating criteria. My Villa is in a secure golf estate and therefore when booking the guests know exactly where they booking and even have a map of the estate to show where the villa is on the estate. Yet I have 5 star ratings (20 so far) for all other ratings besides location. So if the villa is not on the golf course or across the road from the beach (250 m away) they not happy with the location. Recent guest comments ‘great value for money and great location for golfers’ rating 4 for location🙈

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Bravo Airbnb!!!  The Host Q&A batted a thousand in my book~ touching upon all the important issues which needed fixing and they got fixed.  Overall, I viewed the entire session as acknowledgement that Airbnb needed to get back to its roots and serve its original purpose~ with renewed vigor and lessons learned going forward.  

Susan
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan990,

It is lovely to meet you. Thank you so much for your amazing feedback here.

It means so much to hear you positive observations and that you feel we are moving in the right direction. Community feedback has been envaluable to highlighting the important issues your want to hear about and enables us to learn more about/address the things that are key to you as hosts.

We work to continually improve and support our community, so I thank you again for your comments here. 

I hope to speak with you more around the Community Center.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jia-Hui0
Level 2
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Hi Airbnb, I think [Location] of Ratings should abolish because the guests're already know the approximate location of the home before the guests makes a reservation. As for whether or not the location is near to the city, it is already the guests's own decision and the final conclusion is that the reservation should not be made. The guests already knows that the location of the home may deviate from the city, but still give the low rating in [Location], which will pull the overall rating of the host, and unfair to the hosts. I hope that Airbnb can consider this problem.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Lizzie I just have a question about the guests name being fully disclosed after booking.   Even after booking and actually staying here I still  can’t see the guests full name. Just Jane D (example) . So are there exceptions to the rule. Jane was easily googled so I was not bothered by it . But I am curious. Cheers 

Hi there! We are fairly new to hosting (on-site hosts) and would love to see a feature added to match "non-smoking" guests with "non-smoking" hosts. We keep getting requests from smokers to host even though our listing shows in several locations that we do NOT host smokers. We are afraid that declining their requests will adversely affect our "acceptance" rating 🙂 Thank you! Rachelle & David, Tulsa OK