Your top 10 stories of 2018

Airbnb
Official Account

Your top 10 stories of 2018

369432_GettyImages-1026458356-foryou.jpg

From safety tips to product updates, the most popular stories from the past year continue to be helpful today. Check out all 10 articles. 

1. Meet Els, an Open Homes host in Rome

Els, of Belgium, wanted to pay forward the hospitality she received when she moved to Rome, so she signed up for the Open Homes program on Airbnb. When she welcomed Fode, the experience transformed both of their lives.

1. Home improvements with hosting in mind

Paint, personalize, and plenty of other home improvements—it’s time to get inspired. We gathered tips from hosts like yourself about how to upgrade a space without tearing up the house.

1. Easy access to customer service

At the Global Host Q&A, an important concern came through loud and clear: hosts need easy access to support and quick solutions. We’ve created a new way for hosts to contact Airbnb Customer Service—exactly when they need it.

1. Handle peak season like a pro

More bookings mean more check-ins and tighter cleaning schedules. Successful hosts share how they stay organized and efficient during the busiest times of year.

1. Safe hosting tips

Here are ways to help ensure your hosting experience and make your guests feel welcome at the same time.

1. We heard you: Update on essential amenities

Setting expectations and being accurate are keys to successful listings. Hosts told us Airbnb’s requirement to provide guests with amenities such as soap, towels, and other essentials was impacting success. So we answered: hosts can choose, but we strongly encourage hosts to include them.

1. The lowdown on pricing

You asked: You’re constantly pushing me to lower my price—why? Well, part of it is demand.
As for the other reasons, we address those in our improvements to Smart Pricing tools.

1. Decoding response and acceptance rates

What’s the difference between my response rate and acceptance rate? And how do these numbers affect me as a host? We have these answers, as well as advice on how to keep these rates high.

1. Meet the new reservations page

We asked hosts how we could improve the Reservations List. Then we redesigned the page from the ground up, incorporating host feedback to make it easier to find, to improve calendar syncing, and more.

1. Want more flexible pricing settings?

You’re in luck. The top story of 2018 shows you how to set different prices for stays longer than a week or month, and customize weekday vs. weekend pricing. We also have tips on how to apply fees for cleaning and additional guests.

32 Replies 32
Gertraut0
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I was a super host for over 2 years but the evaluation system was changed. Apparently I am close to it but still not a super host.

i think superhost stasus should be strict . I think a person needs to really work at this as a business and be rewarded . I take this very seriously .

I agree to a point...I also take this very seriously BUT it is also very important to keep remembering that this is someone elses holiday that they may have saved  along time for and we have opened our homes to them,therefore I personally have made it my job to make the Golden Bay New Zealand part of their holiday the very best that I possibly can.The money does matter to a degree(my accountant says this is so) but to be a superhost is more than that.Its about people ,memories and smiles and making someones holiday very special.I could keep going on because there is so much more to being a superhost than being within strict guidelines.

Ellen300
Level 4
Taos, NM

Here’s my secret to being an AirBnb Superhost since 2014: I tell everyone (family, friends, guests, anyone who will listen) that only fabulous people are attracted to my vacation rental business. It’s totally true! And I created that.

Here's how: there’s a universal law called the Law of Attraction that says that you attract into your life whatever you focus on. If you stay focused on the good and positive things in your life, like how wonderful your guests always are and how blessed you are to have people who take good care of your house and bring even more joy into it, you automatically attract more good and positive guests. On other hand, if you focus on imagined problems strangers might bring to your house, then problems are what are attracted into your vacation rental business.

All my life I’ve searched and studied and applied the ancient secrets for creating the life I want. Why not, I realized, use that same wisdom to create a vacation rental business that attracts only outstanding guests. I did and it works. I am so blessed!

Ellen wht jkt laughing close up (2).jpg

Ed160
Level 1
North Ridgeville, OH

So,  I guess the sayings, "You reap whay you sow!" or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." are true! Thank you for your affirmation. 

So true!!! That means what you’ve reaped is what you’ve sown too :0 🙂

Yes, we both agree 100%

Sure.... Happy go lucky work! Don’t bother screening guests. You’ll be fine

Haaaaaaaaaaa

Sophie844
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I agree with this 100% and also live by this. Positivity attracts positivity. Well said Ellen. Change the frequency of your thoughts and amazing things will happen. 

That’s EXACTLY what I do and how I think and my guests have consistently been amazing. It was awesome to read your post and see That someone else thinks like I do in regard to their beautiful rental property and they guests they attract.

Thank you Ellen for keeping me focused. I need to change the negitive energy I inadvertantly direct to my guests and embrace the Law of Attraction!

Hi Ellen I share the same sentiments. Wow I am really happy for you having  joined Airbnb in 2014 I wish I have  known about it then my house was always vacant I could have put it in good use. Thanks to my son Mthunzi who advised me and signed up on Airbnb.

Thank you for your post.I agree whole heartedly !

What you put out there you will get back and treat everybody the way you wuld like to be treated.

God Bless!