Your top questions about Host Guarantee

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your top questions about Host Guarantee

1513332473.png

Hello again, Hosts!

Your ideas and questions about the Host Guarantee have sparked some important conversation at Airbnb headquarters. As with our recent Q&A posts on Smart Pricing, Search, and Instant Book, we collected lots of questions from you here in the Community Center—this time on the Host Guarantee. We’ve got insights for you from the Host Guarantee team, and we hope these are helpful. Keep the ideas and questions coming—you’re inspiring us to consider changes and improvements we can make to this program in 2018.

Cheers,

Lizzie

On security deposits and the Host Guarantee

1. What’s the difference between a guest’s security deposit and the Host Guarantee?

Read more

A guest security deposit is something you can choose to require of your guests. The security deposit is an acknowledgement by the guest that they may be charged up to the full amount should they cause damage to your listing. If you choose to require a security deposit from your guests, they don’t actually pay the deposit when they make the reservation. Instead, they’re charged only if you make a claim through the Resolution Center on that deposit and it’s accepted by the guest or granted through mediation by Airbnb.

The Host Guarantee  provides up to $1,000,000 in protection from Airbnb for instances when guests damage a host’s property. In order to process a request, you would use the Resolution Center to upload documentation of the damages (such as photos or receipts), and first request payment from your guest to cover those damages. You and your guests can work out the details on your own, or you can choose to involve Airbnb directly in the Resolution Center. The best way to ensure a smooth process with your guest or with Airbnb is to submit your report of the damage, along with support documentation as soon as you identify the damage.

2. What benefit does the Host Guarantee provide if I can just make a claim against a guest’s security deposit?

Read more
Hosts have the option to ask guests for a security deposit of between $100 and $5,000. In addition to the financial protection this provides, some hosts feel that asking for a security deposit reminds guests to be extra careful while staying in your space. The Host Guarantee comes from Airbnb and also can provide payment to a host for damages that a guest causes to your listing, up to $1,000,000. We’re currently looking at data to see if implementing a guest deposit changes travelers’ booking behavior.

3. If the security deposit cannot be collected from the guests, or doesn’t cover the damages, does the Host Guarantee still kick in?

Read more
If the damages caused by a guest during a reservation exceed the agreed upon security deposit, or if there is no security deposit for the listing in question, the Host Guarantee program is intended to provide support.

4. Do I have to pay anything for the Host Guarantee?

Read more
No, the Host Guarantee program is provided at no additional cost to hosts.

5. Can I require a security deposit for any length stay or just for longer stays?

Read more
You can require a deposit for any length stay. Security deposits can range from $100 - $5000 and we encourage hosts to pick a value that suits their most common circumstances. Currently we don’t offer the ability to adjust the security deposit for different stays.

On Host Guarantee’s scope of protection

6. In what specific situations does the Host Guarantee kick in (theft, damage, excessive cleaning costs etc.)?

Read more

The Host Guarantee provides payment for theft or physical damage to your listing caused by the responsible guest, or the guest’s invitee(s), during their stay. For complete details, you can review the full terms. Items such as routine cleaning costs (including excessive linen costs or floor cleaning) or additional guests fees are not provided under the Host Guarantee program.

You have the option of including a cleaning fee in your pricing. You may also send an alteration request or a request through the Resolution Center if fees are sought for additional guests not included in the original booking.

7. If the Host Guarantee is applied to my situation, will I get the full value I paid for an item or its present value?

Read more
The Host Guarantee program provides payment either for the repair or replacement cost of the damaged item. What we call the “actual cash value” (the amount we reimburse) is the amount it would cost to repair or replace damaged or destroyed covered property as a result of a covered loss. These amounts are based on accepted industry standards as well as the recommendation of an independent third party claims administrator. To determine the reimbursement amount, we’ll compare the current price of the item (or items of similar type and quality when yours is no longer available), and will include a reasonable deduction that accounts for the age and condition your item was in at the time the damage occurred.

8. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee cover antiques?

Read more
Fine arts and collectibles are often tricky to evaluate. In regard to the Host Guarantee, antiques are covered if they can be replaced with something of similar quality or can be repaired or retouched. If you have an item that is high-value or near irreplaceable, it may be advisable to consult with an insurance professional on how best to protect this type of property.

9. Does the Host Guarantee apply for extenuating circumstances during a booking (e.g. burst water pipe, fire)?

Read more
If your future bookings are impacted by an event subject to the Host Guarantee, the program will also reimburse your income loss for reservations that were booked through the Airbnb platform and must be cancelled due to the mishap. For instance, a guest causes a minor fire, but the repair will take three weeks and the affected host has an upcoming two week reservation. Airbnb customer support would assist in rebooking that guest and through the Host Guarantee, the host would be eligible for the payout despite the reservation being cancelled due to the fire.

10. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee apply when a guest cancels due to extenuating circumstances?

Read more
We’re currently in the early stages of exploring broader offerings for hosts and guests in regard to trip cancellations or other interruptions to you getting bookings.

11. I’ve heard that if I have a key lockbox outside my home the Host Guarantee does not cover me anymore. Is that true?

Read more
That’s not true based on the terms of the program. If there was a lockbox across town that was damaged by the guest, the damage to the lockbox itself may not be covered, but damage to the listing still would.

On claims and payments

12. How can I prepare in case I need to use the Host Guarantee?

Read more
You should reach out to the responsible guest immediately when you discover something has gone wrong—specifically you need to contact them either 14 days after checkout or before your next guest checks in, whichever comes earlier. When submitting your request using the Resolution Center please include a description of the damages, photos of the damage, support for the amount claimed and where applicable, the age of the damaged item. The clarity of your request and the support of that request will greatly improve the odds of resolving the situation with your guest using the Resolution Center. If the guest is not agreeable to your request, proper documentation will streamline the process Airbnb uses to review and make a decision.

13. What if I can’t get any documentation/quotes needed by the request deadline?

Read more
It’s best to report issues as soon as they happen. This allows for a timely guest response and a comprehensive review of the scenario. When damages are reported weeks or months after the occurrence, it’s often difficult to get in touch with the guest and the documentation is no longer fresh or actionable. Airbnb can send a third party claims administrator to help evaluate the damages. If it’s a busy season for you, we recommend at least letting your Airbnb Resolution Center representative know that.

14. To make a claim for the Host Guarantee I have to do it within 14 days after the date of guests departure, but I don’t have the time and money to replace what the previous guest damaged before my next guest arrives. What should I do?

Read more
In this scenario, please report the occurrence as soon as possible either through the Resolution Center or through contacting Airbnb directly. Airbnb support staff can assist in rebooking the guest as necessary, review damages, and consider if you’re experiencing booking income loss as a result of the occurrence.

15. How do I get money back from the Security Deposit for damage?

Read more
You must first contact the guest through the Resolution Center. Once your request is posted, the guest can accept the request, offer an alternate amount, or decline the request. If the guest agrees to your request through the Resolution Center, the amount requested will automatically be remitted to you within 24 hours. If the guest does not accept the request, you or your guest may ask that Airbnb mediate a resolution 72 hours after the request has been published. An Airbnb representative will review the claim and make a determination. In cases where a security deposit award is made, they’ll communicate the amount to be paid and will process a payment to your preferred payout method on file.

16. What’s the point in having a security deposit if we can’t use it? Why do we need the approval of the guest for it to be paid out?

Read more
This community is based on trust and good faith between hosts and guests. We want hosts and guests to be protected from misuse (of property and also of claims). The intent is that Airbnb will mediate in the resolution of claims if an agreement cannot be met within the Resolution Center. This is intended to ensure a fair resolution for both parties.

Thanks again to all the hosts who shared questions about the Host Guarantee. Please keep your ideas and feedback coming in the Community Center.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

101 Replies 101

@Helga0 We have some art work from Great-Uncle on the wall which is somewhat pricey and personel.  In the years we have been hosting, we've never had anything stolen either.  I'm of the mind, though, that if it's really important to you and you any fear over it disappearing, don't put it in your listing.  We keep the place painted every 6 months so things stay nice and neat.  I think people appreciate that and they respect the place.

Pierre273
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Good luck if something happen 

cheating airbnb system never pay 

just create troubles in order to pay 

u r right. keep it simple. 🙂

good on you until some one delibrately trashes your lovely treasures.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My top question is why is the Security Deposit called a Security Deposit when it isn't?

The Host Guarantee as written and the Host Guarantee as implemented seem to be somewhat diffferent, but that is more an observation. Should be mention of the Arbitration Clause.

David

@David126 I agree.  Again I think the answer is to have a 3rd party manage claims and have a physical inspection if requested by host or needed by Airbnb.  My trust in Airbnb to manage this process fairlybis zero based upon my experience.  It felt like I was dealing with a government bureaucracy which just wanted to find a way to make me go away.  It’s too bad because all my other experiences dealing with Airbnb customer support have been outstanding!! Only when it comes to paying out they have a whole different personality!

@William84

People seem to think it is Insurance, it is not, if it was there is no way they would be able to handle issues like this, the Regulators would close them down.

My caveat is that I have no inside knowledge about how AirBnB works, but there is enough evidence here and elsewhere to be reasonably certain there is a common issue.

David

Hi, I have had two separate previous guest flush excess amounts of paper and/ or other items down the toilet. In which I had to have a plumber snake the toilet and or remove the items. Is this something that the Host Guarantee would cover if it happens in the future? Thanks!

Unfortunately there are too many hosts out there who have not been looked after by the Host Guarantee, myself included so it's the luck of the draw if you unwittingly welcome aweful guests into your home who damage it then don't do the adult thing and pay for the damages. Airbnb wont help either. Check out their own Facebook page and community forum on this site....

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helga0@David126@Edwin57@Michael-and-Dru0@Linda108

Fantastic to hear from you, I hope you are all good.

Thanks so much for your comments here, I am really pleased to see that several of you have found this information helpful.

You have all raised some useful points and it is great that we can discuss this here. I am also passing you feedback and additional questions back to the team, so I hope we can continue to discuss this further. 

It is also great to hear a couple of ideas on how you would like to see Host Guarantee improved, if anyone else has any ideas or thoughts on ideas already mentioned please do share them here. We really value your input. 

Thanks again and speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie don't you realize that all this comments mean that Airbnb don't want to pay and permit all dishonest guest to continue to use Airbnb platform while the honest hosts are leaving Airbnb platform?

@Lizzie @David126 @Helga0 Is it necessary to have video documentation of the guest entering the listing in order to use the Host Gaurantee?  What onerous is placed on the host to verify to Airbnb that the guest herself or himself actually committed the damage?  Does there need to be some kind of time/date stamp?

We recently had a guest who left the door to the apartment open.  The door opens out into the back yard.  It's been below freezing and snowing where we are and the apartment lost all of its heat.  Luckily, the cleaner came within a few hours of the guest checking out and took care of closing the door.  Should this guest be charged for heating fees?

Really you need an admission by the Guest on the AirBnB system.

Video of the Guest doing the damage might help.

I had something similar, 1am and left the door wide open, -10F outside, dog thought it would a good opportunity to go for a walk, took me over an hour to get him back.

How would you calculate the heating cost?

David
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

you calculate the heating cost from the last bill you  recive you will know the different belive me you will, My Dad and I keep a  spreadsheet in case / of any changes of bills to correct any problems when they do Happen you know what i mean 

Hahahaha 

good luck 

i had much more than that with police complain all photos quotations invoices policies signed 

airbnb never pay 

cheating way always