Your top questions about Host Guarantee

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Your top questions about Host Guarantee

1513332473.png

Hello again, Hosts!

Your ideas and questions about the Host Guarantee have sparked some important conversation at Airbnb headquarters. As with our recent Q&A posts on Smart Pricing, Search, and Instant Book, we collected lots of questions from you here in the Community Center—this time on the Host Guarantee. We’ve got insights for you from the Host Guarantee team, and we hope these are helpful. Keep the ideas and questions coming—you’re inspiring us to consider changes and improvements we can make to this program in 2018.

Cheers,

Lizzie

On security deposits and the Host Guarantee

1. What’s the difference between a guest’s security deposit and the Host Guarantee?

Read more

A guest security deposit is something you can choose to require of your guests. The security deposit is an acknowledgement by the guest that they may be charged up to the full amount should they cause damage to your listing. If you choose to require a security deposit from your guests, they don’t actually pay the deposit when they make the reservation. Instead, they’re charged only if you make a claim through the Resolution Center on that deposit and it’s accepted by the guest or granted through mediation by Airbnb.

The Host Guarantee  provides up to $1,000,000 in protection from Airbnb for instances when guests damage a host’s property. In order to process a request, you would use the Resolution Center to upload documentation of the damages (such as photos or receipts), and first request payment from your guest to cover those damages. You and your guests can work out the details on your own, or you can choose to involve Airbnb directly in the Resolution Center. The best way to ensure a smooth process with your guest or with Airbnb is to submit your report of the damage, along with support documentation as soon as you identify the damage.

2. What benefit does the Host Guarantee provide if I can just make a claim against a guest’s security deposit?

Read more
Hosts have the option to ask guests for a security deposit of between $100 and $5,000. In addition to the financial protection this provides, some hosts feel that asking for a security deposit reminds guests to be extra careful while staying in your space. The Host Guarantee comes from Airbnb and also can provide payment to a host for damages that a guest causes to your listing, up to $1,000,000. We’re currently looking at data to see if implementing a guest deposit changes travelers’ booking behavior.

3. If the security deposit cannot be collected from the guests, or doesn’t cover the damages, does the Host Guarantee still kick in?

Read more
If the damages caused by a guest during a reservation exceed the agreed upon security deposit, or if there is no security deposit for the listing in question, the Host Guarantee program is intended to provide support.

4. Do I have to pay anything for the Host Guarantee?

Read more
No, the Host Guarantee program is provided at no additional cost to hosts.

5. Can I require a security deposit for any length stay or just for longer stays?

Read more
You can require a deposit for any length stay. Security deposits can range from $100 - $5000 and we encourage hosts to pick a value that suits their most common circumstances. Currently we don’t offer the ability to adjust the security deposit for different stays.

On Host Guarantee’s scope of protection

6. In what specific situations does the Host Guarantee kick in (theft, damage, excessive cleaning costs etc.)?

Read more

The Host Guarantee provides payment for theft or physical damage to your listing caused by the responsible guest, or the guest’s invitee(s), during their stay. For complete details, you can review the full terms. Items such as routine cleaning costs (including excessive linen costs or floor cleaning) or additional guests fees are not provided under the Host Guarantee program.

You have the option of including a cleaning fee in your pricing. You may also send an alteration request or a request through the Resolution Center if fees are sought for additional guests not included in the original booking.

7. If the Host Guarantee is applied to my situation, will I get the full value I paid for an item or its present value?

Read more
The Host Guarantee program provides payment either for the repair or replacement cost of the damaged item. What we call the “actual cash value” (the amount we reimburse) is the amount it would cost to repair or replace damaged or destroyed covered property as a result of a covered loss. These amounts are based on accepted industry standards as well as the recommendation of an independent third party claims administrator. To determine the reimbursement amount, we’ll compare the current price of the item (or items of similar type and quality when yours is no longer available), and will include a reasonable deduction that accounts for the age and condition your item was in at the time the damage occurred.

8. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee cover antiques?

Read more
Fine arts and collectibles are often tricky to evaluate. In regard to the Host Guarantee, antiques are covered if they can be replaced with something of similar quality or can be repaired or retouched. If you have an item that is high-value or near irreplaceable, it may be advisable to consult with an insurance professional on how best to protect this type of property.

9. Does the Host Guarantee apply for extenuating circumstances during a booking (e.g. burst water pipe, fire)?

Read more
If your future bookings are impacted by an event subject to the Host Guarantee, the program will also reimburse your income loss for reservations that were booked through the Airbnb platform and must be cancelled due to the mishap. For instance, a guest causes a minor fire, but the repair will take three weeks and the affected host has an upcoming two week reservation. Airbnb customer support would assist in rebooking that guest and through the Host Guarantee, the host would be eligible for the payout despite the reservation being cancelled due to the fire.

10. Why doesn’t the Host Guarantee apply when a guest cancels due to extenuating circumstances?

Read more
We’re currently in the early stages of exploring broader offerings for hosts and guests in regard to trip cancellations or other interruptions to you getting bookings.

11. I’ve heard that if I have a key lockbox outside my home the Host Guarantee does not cover me anymore. Is that true?

Read more
That’s not true based on the terms of the program. If there was a lockbox across town that was damaged by the guest, the damage to the lockbox itself may not be covered, but damage to the listing still would.

On claims and payments

12. How can I prepare in case I need to use the Host Guarantee?

Read more
You should reach out to the responsible guest immediately when you discover something has gone wrong—specifically you need to contact them either 14 days after checkout or before your next guest checks in, whichever comes earlier. When submitting your request using the Resolution Center please include a description of the damages, photos of the damage, support for the amount claimed and where applicable, the age of the damaged item. The clarity of your request and the support of that request will greatly improve the odds of resolving the situation with your guest using the Resolution Center. If the guest is not agreeable to your request, proper documentation will streamline the process Airbnb uses to review and make a decision.

13. What if I can’t get any documentation/quotes needed by the request deadline?

Read more
It’s best to report issues as soon as they happen. This allows for a timely guest response and a comprehensive review of the scenario. When damages are reported weeks or months after the occurrence, it’s often difficult to get in touch with the guest and the documentation is no longer fresh or actionable. Airbnb can send a third party claims administrator to help evaluate the damages. If it’s a busy season for you, we recommend at least letting your Airbnb Resolution Center representative know that.

14. To make a claim for the Host Guarantee I have to do it within 14 days after the date of guests departure, but I don’t have the time and money to replace what the previous guest damaged before my next guest arrives. What should I do?

Read more
In this scenario, please report the occurrence as soon as possible either through the Resolution Center or through contacting Airbnb directly. Airbnb support staff can assist in rebooking the guest as necessary, review damages, and consider if you’re experiencing booking income loss as a result of the occurrence.

15. How do I get money back from the Security Deposit for damage?

Read more
You must first contact the guest through the Resolution Center. Once your request is posted, the guest can accept the request, offer an alternate amount, or decline the request. If the guest agrees to your request through the Resolution Center, the amount requested will automatically be remitted to you within 24 hours. If the guest does not accept the request, you or your guest may ask that Airbnb mediate a resolution 72 hours after the request has been published. An Airbnb representative will review the claim and make a determination. In cases where a security deposit award is made, they’ll communicate the amount to be paid and will process a payment to your preferred payout method on file.

16. What’s the point in having a security deposit if we can’t use it? Why do we need the approval of the guest for it to be paid out?

Read more
This community is based on trust and good faith between hosts and guests. We want hosts and guests to be protected from misuse (of property and also of claims). The intent is that Airbnb will mediate in the resolution of claims if an agreement cannot be met within the Resolution Center. This is intended to ensure a fair resolution for both parties.

Thanks again to all the hosts who shared questions about the Host Guarantee. Please keep your ideas and feedback coming in the Community Center.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

101 Replies 101

I agreed. The same with me!

Likewise I’ve had guests use a full tank of propane by leaving the BBQ on.  Airbnb and guest declined to reimburse.  We’re talking $15 but Airbnb should step up if guest won’t.  I work hard to have a Super Host 5.0 rating — thus improving Airbnb brand — but they are cheap and tony went to assist financially even on small things and the Deposit is a joke.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michael-and-Dru0,

Thanks for your additional question around documentation here. I wanted to come back to you on your question here.

No, video surveillance of the responsible guest is not a requirement and is not encourgaged. In most cases the circumstancial evidence, the correspondence with the guest through the message thread or resolution center, and/or a police report are sufficient to suggest the guest's responsibility.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank you @Lizzie for the reply.  I've always had apprehension about using video surveilance for privacy reasons.  

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

no guest should not be charged for heating, i tell my guest if it gets to hot just closed the  heating system or open the windows, some of my guest come from cold climate come on now ,but i have to understand we are not all the same

Greg184
Level 1
Hobart, Australia

Does Host Guarantee cover any 3rd Party Liability e.g. a guest falling down my stairs and the guest sues me for negligence and medical care for hurting themselves.   Or if a guest has a visitor who hurts themselves in my house.  Could you clarify?  Thanks!

There is some Liability Insurance but certainly not a replacement for your own cover, there is a synopsis of the cover provided on the ABB site.

David
MariaChiara1
Level 5
Rome, Italy

I have had an awful experience in august. I host for a month a guest and I have had 200 euros for the deposit. As soon as the guest leaved my apartment I estimate all the damages he did: 594 euros! I ask for the refund ( he give me back 40 euros). I open the case with the host guarantee presenting all invoices and estimates. I discover that:

1. The deposit it's not a deposit but it's just money that the guest could give you if he wants.

2. That altough I present all the invoices and estimates, (for example I had to throw away sheets and towels because despite I  washed them, but they cannot be became clean anymore), the host guarantee doesn't recognize it and they offer me 128 euros for all damages.

3. I discover that Airbnb protect the guests but not the hosts!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @MariaChiara1 and @Pierre273

Lovely to meet you both and welcome to the Community Center.

I am sorry to hear your disappointment in Host Guarantee here. 

To provide a little more background, I created this discussion to help provide a little more information to frequently asked questions here in the Community Center and so I do hope some of the information I have shared has been helpful. 

As I mentioned in my opening post, we would love to hear your ideas on how to make changes and improvements to this process in 2018 and as you have experience of the process, I am sure you have some great ideas. If you have any you would like to share here, please do share them. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Hi Lizzie, 

I don't know about Pierre, but about my case there is no excuse, it's just that the Host Guarantee doesn't work as wrote in terms and conditions. I gave them all the receive and the exitmate costs and Airbnb refused to pay me in particular what I really spent (receipts). Perhaps Airbnb prefer to lose host and find new hosts. It doesn't believe in custumer retention strategies and in any case prefer to protect more guest then host. 

Suggestions for 2018....? Do something in 2017 and you will not loose hosts!

Another suggestion is not to call deposit what it isn't really a deposit!!!!!

I've read this thread and think you only providing lip-service to issues of hosts doubting the validity of the host guarantee. If you want to improve this service, I think you should address the complaints of how claims are handled currrently. Then hosts can provide input for improvement.

Kristen

Perhaps I don't understand your reply. My problem happened at the end of august and I open my case from september till october with a lot of mails,  attaching all receipts, photos and exitimates. The result it's the Airbnb host guarantee doesn't refund what I had to throw away e.g. sheets and towels because despite I  washed them, but they cannot be became clean anymore and I bought new ones.

What do you suggest to do to improve the host guarantee in a way that protect hosts too?

Thanks for your reply.

Lizzie, I have a suggestion. I've had to use Airbnb to resolve damages twice and both times it was a nightmare. The department that does that won't take your phone call and communciating with them through email was so frustrating because they don't seem to answer specific questions, just re-sent the same pat answers that were not helpful. Please let them speak to both parties by phone.

In one situation I was told by an employee that I had a certain amount of time to submit a request. Since I was going on vacation I decided to submit the request when I returned. The request was turned down because I waited too long. I had written down the name of the employee and requested that I talk to him again. I was told that since the case had been turned over to the other department that I couldn't talk to the previous employee. I also couldn't talk to anyone in the new deparmtent because they don't take phone calls and they didn't seem to care that I had been advised by an employee about the time frame and cut me off from emails. I wasn't reimbursed for that issue and it was very frustrating.

Another time there was water damage because my guest didn't use the shower curtain. He admitted this to me in Airbnb's own message thread. Yet the claims department kept sending back my contractor's invoice for some reason. He re-wrote it twice for me and then sent one directly to them, which they rejected. And when I asked specifics about why the invoice was being turned down I just got the same form letter which I didn't understand. "We don't accept invoices in Word." What if that's the program my contractor uses? Anyway, since the guest admitted on your own site that he didn't use the shower curtain I feel that Airbnb should have taken my contractor's estimate even if it was scrawled out on a napkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it took over 20 emails to get me reimbursed. A horrible waste of my time. Surely you can come up with a better system to serve your renters.

Hi Brenda, I can solve the Word riddle for you: a Word file is a file, that can be altered and it needs a Word program to open it. Depending on version on settings of the two programs, creator of the file and viewing program, the layout can vary a lot and even some letters - too bad in an invoice, if the currency settings are variables. 

To avoid this problem, pdf was created, a file format, that does not change from one computer to the next. Your contractor could choose to “print as a pdf file” or register in pdf format. He should do that anyway, as otherwise his clients can alter their invoices and he would be liable for the tax on an increased amount. 

Another alternative is an image. You could open the document on a screen or print it and take a picture with your phone. Image files are accepted. 

I hope you gave no more reason to use the claims procedure, but if you do, send images not text files. 

It's the cost of doing business.  We just have to eat it. Standards are different with all people and this is why I don't offer a budget space.  My guests are so wonderful and take us to 5 star dinners and buy us gifts to show gratitude and appreciation.  I'll take quality bookings over quantity any day as we only hurt ourselves when we price less that the corporate hotels. I match their prices.