How you can help refugees fleeing Ukraine

How you can help refugees fleeing Ukraine

CatherinePowell_0-1646072771460.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

I’m Catherine, Airbnb’s Global Head of Hosting. Over the past week, so many lives have been devastated by the unfolding scenes of violence in Ukraine. In this moment of global crisis, we’re turning our attention to how we can help. 

We want to let you know that Airbnb.org has committed to offering free, short-term housing for up to 100,000 refugees fleeing Ukraine. Airbnb.org will provide funding and support for nonprofit partners on the ground who will directly facilitate temporary stays for refugees.

We have heard from Hosts who have been directly affected by the violence or are worried for family and friends in the region. And I’ve been heartened to hear from so many of you who want to get involved and help, and in the coming days, we’ll have more details about how you can do so. 

In the meantime, you can sign up to provide emergency housing in your area or make a donation to Airbnb.org’s Refugee Fund. To learn more about Airbnb.org and the effort to temporarily house refugees fleeing Ukraine, head to the Resource Center

We’ll be in touch with more very soon. If you have questions or suggestions, you can always tag me directly on the Community Center: @Catherine-Powell 

Until then, take good care of yourselves and each other. 

Catherine

135 Replies 135
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Supporting initiatives for housing for refugees is obviously a role Airbnb should be playing.

But it is not enough.  Airbnb, as a social media hub and market leader in worldwide lodging, must do their part to combat the misinformation campaigns which are essential to the perpetrators of this violence.

Your carefully worded initiative mentions "violence" and "situation".    Please call it what it really is, I would really like to see a statement from you denouncing what is happening.

It is important that your hosts and guests all over the world, see the true and correct narrative of what is happening, from all of their international contacts and sources, including from Airbnb.

If even  Switzerland has decided that to remain silent was to collaborate with the aggressor, then surely you can do your part too.

Brad769
Level 1
Westminster, CO

Hello,

I'm a Superhost in Colorado. I'm able to host up to 6 refugees at no cost.

Let me know how I can help.

Brad

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brad769 you will need to sign up with airbnb.org.

Another way of helping is to use your super host token to book an Airbnb in Ukraine. Just explain to the host you won't actually be turning up.

Maybe better not to in case locals want to book them! Just a thought. I know some people who have fled to an airbnb in Poland.

@Susie0 The idea is to book a place in say Kyiv. Based on all the news reports it is highly unlikely that anyone intending to stay is booking in Kyiv. Also, if you explain what you are doing to the host they are able to take someone in locally if they need to.

I urge Airbnb to announce boycott against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine! Similar to many international organisations that have pulled out of Russia in solidarity with Ukraine, I ask Airbnb to oppose this unacceptable situation and block Russian users from its services until the war is over.

Yesterday they blocked new bookings in Russia and Belorus. 

I just created a listing but I’m not sure if it is active. I’ve never used this before. 
I want to open up two bedrooms in my home to refugees. I have made the listing and I’ll be ready to host in a week. What else do I need to do?

We’ve just listed our room as well. I believe as long as the listing is live, then we can be contacted at any time. Though I keep getting notifications to fill out tax information but we aren’t getting payment for refugees that stay. I do wish it was a little bit clear on what to expect if you’re trying to host through airbnb.org.

Ann32432
Level 1
Gilroy, CA

I've just booked a room in Kiev.  I'm not traveling there but just hoping the income will help those placed under such horrible conditions. Here's my question:  How do we go about asking Airbnb to not take their usual fees for the places booked in Ukraine?  It would be gratifying to see all of the money going to the hosts during this awful time. I have no idea how to broach this idea to airbnb but any advice appreciated.

@Ann32432 When you booked you should have seen a zero service fee. This is certainly the case for UK hosts booking in Ukraine.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ann32432 As @Mike-And-Jane0 mentioned, and as I explained here earlier, I can confirm that Airbnb is temporarily waiving guest and Host fees on bookings in Ukraine at this time.

Thanks for your generosity, it's wonderful to see all this support!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

They have now waived all booking fees in Ukraine.

Shinichiro1
Level 2
Takatsu Ward, Japan

I think We must protect the children in Ukrine.I asept from refugee of Ukline.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Shinichiro1 It's really heartwarming to hear you'd like to help! You can find more information on how to offer your listing to refugees and register to host via Airbnb.org here🙂

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines