A new system to hold guests accountable

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

A new system to hold guests accountable

guest-accountability-XL copia.png

When you welcome guests to stay in your space, it’s essential that they respect your home, follow your house rules, communicate promptly if issues arise, and avoid creating a mess. So, we’re introducing ground rules for guests – a new set of enforceable standards that all guests must follow.

If a guest breaks ground rules, they get a warning the first time. If the issues persist, they'll be suspended and, if necessary, permanently removed from Airbnb.

You’ll still be able to write any additional house rules for guests to follow. And if a guest violates any of your house rules, we’ll support you if you need to cancel the reservation early. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

101 Replies 101

High five, great post and could not agree more. 

Vanessa Mullings

@Bubba-Lee0  What's that noise I hear? Ah, yes! Crickets! 

In other words, they're not going to do a bloody thing!

@Catherine-Powell  What say you? Care to opine?

Brenda424
Level 2
Falmouth, ME

I have read all of these replies and have to say I agree with or have experienced nearly all of these issues with guests from one degree to another.  I think part of the problem is that the hosts rely on the reviews of the potential guest to determine whether they will rent to them and time after time I see 5* reviews, yet it's not my experience.  I rarely see a lengthy review and believe the problem is that hosts are very hesitant to post a negative review because Air BnB does not allow the host to see the guest review until they have first posted one themselves.  Feels a bit extorted to me.  I think hosts need to be more honest with their reviews as a starter.  Secondly, if there is an issue, there needs to be the ability to have a phone conversation with an agent at AirBnB in order to clear things up more expeditiously for all.  

Repeatedly, I have guests who do not follow the house rules yet have rarely submitted for damages until this year when one guest obliterated my kitchen.  The additional cleaning and linen expense topped over 700 euros and yet air BnB did not feel i was entitled to reparation despite the fact the guest had agreed to an additional cleaning expense IN WRITING prior to my acceptance of the reservation.  It was, in fact, a condition of the reservation because it was for greater than one week.  When the guest was questioned by AirBnB, they came up with a laundry list of complaints they had not once posed to me.  (silly things like slow wifi - in rural France, btw....imagine that!)  Air BnB offered me 45 euros.  I strongly protested and got a bit more but it took 6 weeks of my determination to get more.  At that point it had become more out of principal than expense for me. 

Air BnB will ask you for an extensive list of documentation - photo's, invoices, etc. (not always easy to negotiate when working with a foreign country) but even then the people who review seem to act as though their review and findings are God-like and not subject to rebuttal or response from the host.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Brenda424 ,

I read your post and hoped if you know about the current update on how to dispute a review? You can request removal of any retaliatory review now. You’ll be able to flag reviews from guests who:

• Commit a serious policy violation, like damaging your property or overstaying their reservation
  • Violate your house rules—for example, by having an unauthorized party or event at your place

You can read more about it in the following threads: 
Updated Review System 
Process to dispute reviews 

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Amazing! We have experienced a lot of house rules breaking! How can we set the ground rules!?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @CryptoCasa0 ,

Hope you find these new updates useful. You can set the ground rules for your listing by following this process. You can check out more information about the ground-rules in the following articles :

👉About Update : Ground rules for guests 

👉 How to set helpful house rules 

👉 More Information about Ground Rules

-----

@CryptoCasa0  Did you think there was something new? the "ground rules" is just a new term for the House Rules you already have. I don't believe there is a new dedicated button for guests stating they promise they have read the rules and will agree, there is something like that when you sign up. 

As every host as different house rules it would seem vital that a guest sees the page of house rules and agrees at the bottom. I have an easter egg in my house rules and generally <50% of guests read it, and lately it's been 0% of guests responding with my requested phrase. 

100% agree with this opinion. This new update does little more than pay lip service. There needs to be a pop-up that appears right before guests clicks “pay” that has all the hosts house rules. They have to scroll through all of it before confirming—much like Terms of Agreements when signing up for a new service. If an Airbnb moderator is reading this, please suggest to dev team. Thanks.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Ari46834 ! As I mentioned in my reply on the other thread (here) guests will be shown your ground rules on the confirmation screen as they book your space, which I think is similar to what you suggest here. 😃

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sybe  do you have a screen shot of that? Would actually be helpful to include it in the listing, to remind them. I already do this actually, so just looking to update it. 

I should be using abb in a few weeks so i'll get to experience it first hand, and I can do a screenshot and probably mock up something with my own house rules in it. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Gillian166 I unfortunately don't. If you want to share what it looks like when you'll be booking your own stay please do feel free to share but as you mentioned make it a mock up for the privacy of your Host, and make sure to have lots of fun on your trip! 😉

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Sybe  we are travelling cross country with a puppy and 2 cats and a grumpy teen......... overnighting in a cheap but cheerful home that allows pets, hopefully the shower is strong. I will try to have fun 🤪 

and yes, of course I will remove the important identifying stuff, as I always do, will share if I remember to do the screenshot!

Great! I love all the new updates from the recent winter release 

Hello @Amber-And-Mario0 ,

So glad that you found the latest upgrades beneficial. Let us know more about your experiences, would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Gerben2
Level 2
Hilversum, Netherlands

Nice that they will be banned for further bookings, but doesn't solve any problem when they break the rules DURING THEIR STAY.  As a host you don't get any help from Airbnb other than: did you try to solve it.....

And when you ask your 'guests' to leave Airbnb supports them instead the host by giving them a refund...... and no money for the host.....