Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

Honest opinion: It' buggy, you've ruined good hosts, no one wanted this.

"We hope the Categories will help surface some listings that might otherwise be missed by an old-fashioned location search. "

"WE" are WRONG (for the hosts that is)

Hellos upper class!  Lol, when he said "of course Sophie will go" on his trip to France.  Don't all hosts and guests take their dogs when they go to France.

haha, cheeky but on point@Emilia42 ,  have to say I did think it smacked of elitism: single wealthy male goes on vacation with his dog to some stunning giant designer homes in remote locations...... totes normal!  Perhaps it was meant to be aspirational, but even that is a bit of an insult. It's hard to please everyone I suppose. It was beautifully filmed and put together, curious to see what the reaction from guests will be.  

Enri1804
Level 10
Yulee, FL

@Stephanie , My listing title is “Brim Breachfront”, my amenities include beach essentials, beachfront, ocean view, sea view, etc. If that is too confusing for AirBnB machine than Let’s go back to letting hosts select amenities and filters not AI. Again AirBnB showing disrespect to host “partners”. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Enri1804 ,

You are absolutely at liberty to pick what amenities you have in your listing - Categories doesn't change that. Could you let me know what "filters" you are struggling to apply?

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie I’m only struggling with your new UPDATE / Categories.I inferred from your last message to me that my amenities, photos, keywords in title DID affect category, and that I had no control. Please let hosts add the Category. If guests want a beach rental, yesterday they could find me. I have changed nothing. After your update, now if guests search beach listings mine does Not show up. What do I do? If you are saying now that Incan add the category as a filter please instruct. All these articles and videos are not “how to’s” and answer no questions from a hosts perspective. I thought this category idea would help me and it looks like it’s not designed properly or only for a few. I updated my app yesterday so is there some other info/instruct missing?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Enri1804 ,

Yes by that I mean what amenities you have, your pictures and your description informs what Category your listing may be placed. You can read more details here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/resources/hosting-homes/a/new-ways-for-guests-to-discover-your-listing-522

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I'm curious why @Stephanie isn't answering the question.

you cannot add your property to a Category, it is chosen by AI which relies upon keywords and photos and other data. 

I thought the categories were only highlighting "amazing" properties, not all properties?

Thanks @Gillian166 🙏🏻 For the clarity of your answer 

@Stephanie you have a tough job, I know!!

You are ask by @Airbnb to answer you the host question with a link to this ‘article’ with the sub-title ‘Learn what the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade means for Hosts’

and I’m sure you know the article does provide any tangible answer, neither specific information.

and I know you are trying your best to answer with the info you have

my question is ‘does AirBNB did a pilot on this massive feature’ as it is clear that is does not work for the host.

Annie

I get the feeling Airbnb will be consuming our abilities completely. 

@Airbnb @@@Stephanie 

i’ve NEVER had the level of frustation with ABB and mostly CUSTOMER SERVICE than now.

I’ve been dealing with Kristine that now calls herself marady the most useless person ever!!!

my apartments are not showing since MAY and now she says the address is wrong… NEVER had issues with the address and then INCORRECTLY gave the wrong address of one of my apartments….!!!!! WTH 🤦🏻‍♀️ 
the address is right 

really? She is totally useless 

Jennifer2672
Level 10
Sioux Falls, SD

The new format removes the number of reviews when you search by date. We've worked hard to maintain our 5 stars for a year and a half. It's pretty meaningless to compare 5 5-star reviews with a host who has 70 or 300. In a my market we've had a huge number of brand new hosts. I look no different than them in the new browse view. That's disappointing.

Absolutely same, I feel like an idiot for wearing myself out to get 200 five star reviews, now there are listings with 7 reviews in towns 20km away being proposed top of list, even if guest chooses my neighborhood for their search.

Same in our area. Looking in our college town and the algorithm favors remarkably average properties two towns over. This upgrade is actively and aggressively anti-host oriented.