Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048
Santi11
Level 2
Clarens, South Africa

I am so glad to see that I am not the only fool whose bookings suddenly dropped to zilch. I tried updating the photos, rewriting the listing (using key phrases that came out of the traveller surveys done by booking.com), offering ridiculous discounts, all to no avail. And I agree with all the complaints on this forum - using AI to run the ABB platform works with everyday admin tasks, not with determining what humans like or don't like. And how much punch does an Online Community Manager actually have in the company? I would guess not much - so thanks to Emilie for raising our concerns on her end but she can stand on her head, changes won't be made because hosts complain on this forum. Such a pity. This used to be my favourite online booking partner - not any more. 

It seems we never get to 1,000 messages.

any of you can see the CONDO category?? For the last 3 months CS keeps telling my apartments are in CONDO Category, I NEVER could it find me.

CS sent me a list with ALL CATEGORIES, asking where I want my places and where I don’t want them.

I went through  the whole list, never finding CONDO, I told Kristine (CS) such category doesn’t exist.

I sent the ones I think my places should be under (only 4) and which ones not (more than 40)

now she says  … it doesn’t guarantee that my places will show in any the categories I put them in REALYY???

Update:

CUSTOMER SERVICE CLOSED MY CASE WITHOUT RESPONDING!!!

The new interface is so confusing for people looking for places....I have tried to look for a place a couple of times and always giving up and going to booking...

Peggy137
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Can anyone provide a list of all vacation rental companies? 
I have gone from 100% booked to at best 40% (and many of those from Vrbo) in the high season, with my rates slashed, in a highly desirable location in Sedona, AZ. I just don't show up on the Airbnb site. So frustrating. 

I have had 0% bookings in 2 months. I used to be fully booked. I am attributing it to the many new listings in my area. I only have two more customers from earlier reservations. I am at 0% for two months. Offering rock bottom pricing but still no interest. Waiting to see what happens over the holidays.

The new Category set up, don’t show all the listings

Gigi169
Level 6
Hawaii, United States

@Peggy137 

girl I feel your pain!!  We were always fully booked just with Airbnb so just took down my listings from other sites. Then after the new rollout I’m not coming up in searches still. The highest season we’ve ever had up here and  it was tumbleweeds for my cottage. So frustrating.  I have several friends up here with vacation rentals that use other platforms and they are fully booked still so I know it’s not that my area is bad. And they have raised their rates. I dropped mine to rock bottom just to see and still no bookings. My listing just no longer shows in searches. 
beyond frustrating. 4.99 stars, Superhost and over 140 5 star reviews… doesn’t add up… 

So sorry you’re struggling too. 

thanks - sounds like what is happening to me

Try Plum Guide

thanks, applying to them

Here shows ABB silence

C59DAC3E-5659-4347-9557-893C2CE559C3.png

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm bumping this to see if anyone or how many hosts have seen their views recover.  We haven't.  Although Airbnb 'kindly' changed the way the chart displays so instead of going up to 30 views, now it only goes up to 10 so if we get 3 or 4 views it looks like a huge increase.  Note to Airbnb:  we're not stupid and that chart isn't fooling us.  So far we have around 200 views for the last month, down more than 80% from before the new OMG awesome potato tree house release.  Our permit renewal comes up this month and I guess we will renew, but since I don't have any sense Airbnb even cares about this, I presume they're still getting bookings off categories or whatever listings they show [not mine], but we can't continue if we're only getting a couple of bookings a month or none.

How is everyone else doing?

@Mark116 - like everyone else the Summer Release has been a disaster to our bookings/views. We did however experience a decent amount of new bookings in August for the upcoming months (October, November and December) and even have had some for February 2023. However, it is still low compared to previous years performance.  September has been crickets so far…the any week feature just isn’t working for us. Rarely do we get anyone staying for a week. Our average stay is 3-4 days as many of our visitors come to visit Disneyland. We still have days available throughout the coming months but with the any week feature our listing doesn’t show any availability until next year.  When reviewing “listings similar to yours,” I find that the similar listings are “shared rooms.” Our listing is not a shared room but a guesthouse/suite. It does not share walls with the main house and has its separate entrance etc… I do hope that our listing is not under the “shared rooms” category.  I just don’t understand why Airbnb would show shared rooms as similar listings to our listing. 

Best—