Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

I've been hosting almost 10 years, an lost my job overnight with no explaination. 

How about this: revert the update or else your company is going to go out of business.

That is my feedback.

@Kimberly718  You clearly have some experience in web developing and project planning like me!

Cannot understand why there was not some kind of rollout on parallel platform?
Or beta testing like they do for any new kind of cancellation policy?
Were any hosts involved in the user testing?
Did anyone think to even message hosts first, or separately, upon rolling out?

I don't get it.

This is the first major rollout since the IPO.  My trust is completely shaken.  

Dear Kimberly, after all these months, has all your listing ever showed up in the correct category eventually? One moderator in one of these forums says that the category filters get populated with new listings every 2 weeks, so did your property really show up in the right category after 2 weeks? I'd very much like to know how long it took you to get picked up, if you ever did, your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million for letting me know. 

Kimberly718
Level 10
North Stonington, CT

Sybe, 

The worst part is they are messing with our business which for many of us is our livelihood. When Covid hit, so many people stepped up and offered their places for workers and did their part to give back. In the midst of what was happening around the world, Airbnb rose to meteoric success with a product in the right place at the right time, but they didn't do it alone; it was on the backs of hard-working hosts like myself.

My business pre covid was running a design and marketing firm, and my primary clientele were 5-star resorts; Four Seasons, Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, etc. As you know, the travel industry was decimated, but people picked up and did what they had to to survive. For us, that was sinking everything we had to create a special place on an old farm and run it like I'd seen for 25 years among my core clientele in the travel industry. Airbnb was different; they gave "Small" a chance to compete with "Big." We hosts were doing what we loved, we had hit our stride, and we were not just surviving but thriving, enjoying what we were doing and meeting wonderful guests along the way. We were stylists, photographers, marketers, and creative experience curators. Then Airbnb gets "Big," really big, and so it decides to feed that big ego, and like the hotel valet that parks the most expensive and sexiest sports car in the front of the hotel, Airbnb parked the best, sexiest of all listings front and center and we "Small" independent, hard-working hosts now relegated to the mire of stuff that was deemed not so special were floating around somewhere else, considered too dumb to be able to properly tag our listings with accurate locations or descriptions. Our hearts were broken because we foolishly thought Airbnb was different from Amazon, Facebook, and Google. We thought Airbnb saw us as people that couldn't be replaced by Ai and that they knew that without us, they'd have nothing; nothing that they actually created, crafted, curated, not a single calloused hand. 0 product, 0 experiences, 0 heart, 0 loyalty. Just 0.

You forgot to mention the part where Airbnb refunded guests with hosts money, without even taken a token cancellation fee, while keeping their own commissions, during the first part of the pandemic.

Things were going great so I was ready to pass over that.  But now I remember!

I have hosted for 9 years and Airbnb has just destroyed me without notice. This should be criminal

Same here, I can't get bookings any more. I purchased a boat, I'm not getting enough bookings because my competitors are showing up in the boats category when I'm not. I'm a superhost who's earned the badge 15 times in a row with more than 370 great reviews. My listing is complete, I have no idea why my boat is not included in the boats category. I keep getting non-answers from support techs. 

People have spoken - it's a major flop:

Aj119_1-1654017123978.png

It doesn’t work categories 

for 3 months CS told me my apartments are under CONDO category… I requested a list of categories… and guess what … it DOESN’T  EXIST!!

worse joke ever

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mark-and-Gabriela0 Could you send me a Message here confirming which categories you've asked which of your listings to be under please? I understand you've already talked to Customer Support about this and I'd like to nudge it along for you. 

To send me a Message, you can simply click on my username and "Send a Message".

Thanks and speak soon!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Airbnb @Emilie 

could you please send us ALL THE CATEGORIES and where HOSTS can see in which category we are instead of calling Airbnb every 2 weeks to give us back the wrong information.

Why the mystery of us (hosts) don’t be able to choose the categories of our properties, why the silence about it? Waiting for statistics of complains?? We see the issue, may be not all see it, but fix it.

as I said before, for two months a CS representative have been telling me I was under CONDO category… I couldn’t find it, when she finally send me list … IT DIDN’T EXIST. Is it a translation issue by your side? Are there 56 categories?

Why don’t you DELETE CATEGORIES, it’s a mess, tons of business going to bankruptcy 

it has been 5 months, I’m lucky because I saw the issue from the beginning. Still CS representative keeps lying to hosts or Property managers about the real issue

the level of ABB representatives are the lowest ever.

as I said before SITEL  is hiring people in Portugal at 700 euros full time job for 160 hours a month.

i know personally people almost uneducated working there.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mark-and-Gabriela0 I saw you send me a message with more details on your listings, thank you very much! I've replied so we can follow-up on this together. 🙂

Regarding the Categories, you can see them at the top of the Airbnb homepage. I appreciate your feedback on this feature as well as your experience with the Support team, both of which I've relayed.

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Airbnb @Emilie 

please share with all of us  openly all the categories and allow us to choose where to put our properties… or delete this mess.