Airbnb Answers: Early Host payouts

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Early Host payouts

You asked: Can Airbnb allow hosts to receive an early payout at the time of booking?

This is a great question, and one you’ve been asking for a while. We’re developing the best approach for early payout arrangements, starting with a small pilot program in the U.S. 

How the upcoming U.S. pilot will work:

A limited number of hosts will be invited to opt-in to the early payout pilot. For those hosts who opt-in, we’ll send 50% of your payout 3 days after a guest books and the rest 1 day after guest check in, for a 1% early payout fee on the booking subtotal. For reservations booked within a 14-day window, you’ll still get the early payout, but you won’t have to pay the early payout fee.

Long-term reservations (28 nights or longer) are not eligible for early payouts. For reservations booked more than 4 months in advance, we’ll release the 50% early payout when the check-in date is 120 days away.

If a host or guest cancels a booking after an early payout has been made, that amount will be deducted from your next payout(s).

We’re excited to see how this program goes, and would love to hear your thoughts on the concept. We’ll keep you posted on future opportunities to get your payouts early!

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address,  we’ve introduced the Airbnb Answers series. Want to ask more? We’ll invite hosts to ask their questions before the next Host Q&A event!

60 Replies 60
Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

Once you have hosted a property for x period of time and built up reviews showing that you even exist, payments should be released (at least 50%) at the time of booking or thereabouts. A lot of guests take advantage of booking early (like 12 months !) to ensure they get the best deal. If you up the rate there booking remains at the same rate. Therefore Hosts should be entitled to get the fee ahead.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Daljit0,

It's great to hear your thoughts on this. So based on your comments here, I take it you would be keen adopt this feature in the future? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Yes, I wish this feature would stay in effect until  at least the end of 2019 otherwise it is going to cause a financial hardship for most of us I would imagine. I know it will for he and the guests will be out in the cold as well.  Please re think this one Airbnb!!!!??? 

I’m glad you’ve highlighted this issue Loralyn....stopping the program is causing my business huge stress. Using the extra cash flow to grow my properties was easily worth the 1% fee. However, having to now use credit to support the next 4 months of reduced cash and no opportunity to create cash except with new ‘current’ month bookings is proving a lot more expensive. Coupled with an increased number of cancellations (4x higher than my usual cancellations), having to refund the 50% early payout  it’s crippling. Do you know if Is there any word of re starting the program in the near future?

i can’t fathom why this was piloted for anything less than 12 months....

I agree. 100%!!

Daljit0
Level 5
Windsor, United Kingdom

I dont like the 1% charge. But if I'm to understand correctly 50% gets released if booking is over  120 days from the point of booking without a surcharge. A host should be given the option of either of them or both. I my case I'll have 50% for bookings long in advance without any surcharge. The advantage to AirBnb is you know I'll still be hosting in the future as there's a financial committment to do so. Holding onto money for long lengths of time isnt fair.

Elizabeth884
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

I am having a difficult time finding out just "which hosts"  or Who were the hosts that were invited to opt-in ahead of the rest of us who feel like they would qualify. For 26 years both payments foer both my direct bookings and then those  through VRBO?Homeaway were set up on a payout of 50% at booking and then 50% on arrival. It would great for cash flow...

I feel like I qualify---but cannot find out out from any of the representatives as to when the program might be offered"to the rest of US??? or if there is a way to be able to call in/ be evaluated and then allowed to join now.

Elizabeth

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Elizabeth884. As far as I'm aware the pilot is upcoming so it might be that the team are still working on specific details around this, including who is invited to take part. I will certainly pass on your note here though.

It is great that you are interested in knowing more about this and you are keen for this to be introduced. Based on the overview above on the way it intends to be tested out (timeframe/payment percentage etc.) what are you initial thoughts? Any suggestions?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lizzie what a scam! Airbnb is holding guests' payments for months, passing on any of the huge amount of interest it can thereby garner to neither guest nor host, and now offering to transfer it to hosts for a fee???  This is right up there with imposing a host cancellation penalty and keeping it instead of passing it on the guest.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lisa723,

Thanks for sharing your comment here on this. 

If you were to offer early payments, how would you like it to work?

--------------------

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I haven't been on the forum for a while but this is great news to return to. As a host who does Airbnb to supplement my income (and meet people from all over!) the upfront money can help me improve the listing or offer freebies I usually couldn't do before the guest arrives. I'd enjoy offering a special treat for a birthday girl or anniversary couple like wine but not if it has to come out of my grocery budget. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Michelle13, this is really great to hear. 

What are your thoughts on the overview above of how the feature might work? 

--------------------

M46
Level 2
United States

I receive an early payout with VRBO.

It works great!

Dr. Mia

Aurora52
Level 4
Miami, FL

Airbnb is charging big money from us the hosts and the guest also and now they charge 1% if you want your money in advance?  Airbnb is holding our money for months in most cases 1 year in advance

I’m not happy .Im just saying