Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms

Airbnb began as an affordable way for travelers to stay in someone else’s home. With the pandemic behind us, more people are looking for opportunities to spend time with their Hosts and explore new places like a local.

That’s why we’re introducing Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on private rooms. The upgrades include: 

• A Host Passport, so guests can get to know you before they book 
  • A new Rooms Category and redesigned search filters that make it easier for guests to discover private rooms 
  • New privacy-related details for everyone’s comfort

Airbnb Rooms—and 25 upgrades for Hosts—begin rolling out this week as part of the Airbnb 2023 Summer Release. Get more details on the Resource Center.

Are you a private room Host, or have you considered becoming one? Do these upgrades make you want to try it out?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

29 Replies 29
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

@Mariann4 wrote:

-Where is the guest passport? I would also like to get to know the guest before allowing them into my home.

I understand that the Host Passport is for Homesharing Hosts exclusively. The intention behind is that guests get more trust again in this classic kind of accommodation and booking of Private Rooms is encouraged. 

We have many guests to whom the homesharing idea is still new. And communication helps to overcome shyness.

If you need more info from your guests you can either communicate after booking, or disable IB so guests must communicate with you before booking.

Communication is the key!

My IB is off @Till-and-Jutta0 . I tried it once. Ended up having an IB from a person with two big dogs. I don't allow pets... Was a nightmare fixing an issue not made by me with all the threats of sanctions and punishments.

I have no problems understanding that guests would like to trust their host. But my risk as a homeowner is higher. Both financial, physical and emotional. So this passport should go both ways if they want it. Also, a passport is meant to give entry. So posting it on hosts who are the ones who grant entry can only be an idea from someone who doesn't know what a passport is.

Also, the ton of information they ask for is a huge invasion of privacy to be left on open profiles. They already have pictures of my home for everyone to see.

Of course we communicate. I couldn't be homesharing the way I do if I didn't. And I don't like asking potential guests questions like I'm interogating them. That will put them off. I have to keep my trust in people to keep hosting. 

Kevin129
Level 6
Hove, United Kingdom

When my listings come up in searches it says my profession but I see in other listings information like how long someone has been hosting for and verified fast wifi. As my listings have 1Gb ethernet ports and verified fast wifi and as I've been hosting for 8 years these would be good to have mentioned instead of job. Does anyone know how this little bit of text is controlled? 

Many thanks

Kevin

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Great question @Kevin129 ! I'll check and let you know as soon as I have an answer. 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Patrick1224
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Without using any search criteria or filters of any kind, why does some random picture (in this case, of a desk) now appear in search results instead of the photo I selected as the cover photo (which is of the bed)?  Has AirBnb analytics determined that guests are more attracted to a picture of the desk in a corner than a picture of the room with the bed and thinks that is better suited for search results?  Prior to this change, the Cover photo was the one that appeared in search results.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Patrick1224,

Thank you for sharing this with us, I wanted to inform you that I have forwarded your situation to the appropriate team. I will keep you updated as soon as I receive more information.

I'd recommend also to send this feedback to Airbnb directly as well. You can do this for all Airbnb 2023 Summer Release features by going to Early Access in your Hosting menu.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

I am having this issue too!  😞 

My rooms picture (which is now the default picture) is of a sofa. Not the room or the house.  Please help! 

Thanks!

You need to delete the photo you want as your cover photo from your pictures on your listing profile @Stephan-And-Skye0 . Then upload it again and put it as number one.

I had the same, Airbnb thought it was a good idea to promote me through a picture of my sofa. Stupid AI.

Jesse192
Level 6
Boulder, CO

I'm experiencing the same issue described by Patrick1224.  Why is the photo I selected as my Cover Photo no longer displayed in search results?  Prior to this change, the Cover Photo was the one that appeared in search results.

David-and-Frank0
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

Hello

I have a listing that qualifies as a private room and shows up in a general search. However, when a search filter is turned on for private bathroom (en-suite) my property is dropped from the search results.   My listing settings properly indicate that the room has a private en-suite. 

This issue must be addressed immediately. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @David-and-Frank0 ! When I search for a weekend in Valencia and add private attached bathroom as filter, using the Rooms category, your listing shows up for me. Have you perhaps added other filters?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Dan18198
Level 2
Shreveport, LA

My listing doesn't show up in room category no matter what I do, contacted customer support and they confirmed everything was correct in my listing. Now since update zero bookings. Airbnb has very sad Customer Support, and sad search feature for listings. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Dan18198,

It looks like there is something unusual going on in your situation. Even though you have already been in touch with the Customer Support team, I have taken the initiative to forward your issue to the appropriate team that can provide assistance. Hopefully, they will be able to respond to you promptly.

Please keep us updated.

Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Xiu30
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

It will be great if there is option in the filter so guest can see which room have private/Dedicated/share bathroom.

My room has dedicated bathroom, but the price is higher than other rooms that has share washroom. This makes my room looks expensive.

So good to see Airbnb going back to its roots. Kansas City just passed an ordinance restricting new short term rentals in residential areas to owner occupied homes.

Eventually I would love to see another category which is host managed properties. Here there are several companies that "manage" multiple units for other people. And a lot of absentee investor units which may be going off line. But the personal touches happen when the owner is actively managing their own properties (mostly second homes or carriage houses on-site). Hands-on hosts are the next best asset for Airbnb 🙂