Airbnb & Minut: Noise prevention support for Hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb & Minut: Noise prevention support for Hosts

B27C0C75-894F-4DE5-95F5-93F9B0EB5DE3.png

Over the past few years, we have launched a series of measures to promote responsible travel on Airbnb and enforce our anti-party stance. We are committed to being good partners to the communities Hosts call home and to supporting efforts to cultivate responsible travel in their neighborhoods while deterring unwanted behavior.

As part of our continuing efforts, Airbnb and property tech company Minut are collaborating to offer Hosts in over 60 countries and regions a free noise sensor and three-month subscription to Minut’s noise and occupancy monitoring service, and to integrate Minut noise alerts into Airbnb’s messaging tool.

Visit the Minut store to get the noise sensor and subscription offer, and find out more about the technology and integration in Minut’s Help Center.

You can read more about this initiative here. Do you already use a noise sensor, or are you planning on getting one?

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Strange that no one has commented on this post. We wouldn't find it necessary as we live next door (attached) to our listings but for others it looks like a good deal. Unless, of course, the monthly subscription to the service is greater than the benefit gained from a free device.

Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

I think this will shoot down one argument that cities use in an effort to ban short term rentals. 

Personally,  we don't have that issue as we live on the same lot as our listing  but I've heard the arguments from city staff (parties, noise levels..etc..) as one of the reasons to ban STR. 

Joy193
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I've just purchased.  More to be proactive and to be able to defend any false neighbour complaints

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Joy193 I'd love to hear how you find it once you start using it! 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi  Emilie & @Airbnb 

Can you take a look at the horrible experience I’ve had regarding my minut device and a slanderous review. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Minut-Noise-Monitoring-and-a-Negative-Review/m-p/171...

I also posted a warning to hosts in this comment section about my experience. 

Airbnb shouldn’t be promoting these devices if they don’t support hosts that use them. 

As an superhost of many years with 37 properties and thousands of reviews this one takes the cake.

Thanks,

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Yuki-and-Charlie0

I'm really sorry to hear you've ran into some challenges recently!

I'm not part of Customer Support nor have access to your account to see exactly what happened, however I've raise the issue you've shared with us here on my end so someone can look into it further. If I get any more information, I'll let you know 🙂

Thanks,

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hmmm, little ole New Zealand isn't even in Minut's World Map on their website!
Maybe they could be so kind to include us as a courtesy @Airbnb .

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 I'm not sure which map that is, but I've checked and I can confirm Minut does ship to New Zealand, if that helps! 🙂

-----

Joy193
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We need to learn to co-exist within communities like we do in every day life.   This needs to be done in a supportive, transparent way and people should be allowed to make mistakes, apologise, resolve and move on.   

Life is full of misunderstandings and issues and we need to learn how to resolve them with all parties winning...............    Triumph over tragedy and let's use tech and empathy to help us.

Interesting. Here AirBNB is promoting the use of a noise monitoring device, ostensibly so hosts can monitor their properties in case a party is brewing.  Yet you can go to any social media platform that has a forum to discuss AirBNB issues and multiple times on any given day you will read about a host being suspended for reporting a party. Nothing like a healthy dose of negative reinforcement to discourage hosts from reporting guests.  Perhaps that is the point since AirBNB certainly seems to have a strong track record showing favor towards bad guests vs supporting their hosts?

What about live in hosts that are noisy, especially when they know you work nights and need to sleep??

Robin1118
Level 1
State College, PA

My guests stay in the house with me. I have 3 Airbnb rooms I rent out with single occupancy. I have Nest cams in various common areas, which I inform the guest who stays here.  However, I would like to branch out someday to a second property, which will be a whole house rental except for one room for the "maintenance guy." He will be living there rent-free to monitor guests and discourage out-of-control parties. He would share the kitchen only as a common space. I have been renting my current rooms for over ten years before Airbnb, and people take a "little" better care of your property if someone outside their group is there.

Yuki-and-Charlie0
Level 3
Canmore, Canada

I would caution all Superhosts & Hosts before getting a noise detection device like Minut. Airbnb is not supportive of hosts that have devices like this. We have a Minut device that we purchased and signed up for a year ourselves at one of our larger properties to keep the peace and be respectful neighbours.

Airbnb will hang you out to dry when it comes to a guest slandering you on a review over it and I assure you this will happen to you. Regardless of how in your face you are about it upfront with your guests. 

Having it listed in your health and safety devices on your listing where it needs to be disclosed to guests doesn’t matter. Guests are fully allowed to slander you in a review about it. This is directly from a Superhost ambassador. 

This will severely impact trust in the platform and forever negatively affect us. Follow the rules… Identify it correctly as per Airbnb and yet… It doesn’t matter. 

Think twice before using one of these devices especially if you follow everything to a T.

Read about our horror story below. We will be ripping it out of our property after this nightmare. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Minut-Noise-Monitoring-and-a-Negative-Review/m-p/171...

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Yuki-and-Charlie0 I've mentioned it somewhere else but popping it here as well just in case - I've raised this for you on my end as I understand you've not received the help and support you needed so far!

Emilie

-----