Airbnb.org Hosts house 50,000 refugees of the Ukraine crisis

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb.org Hosts house 50,000 refugees of the Ukraine crisis

image.png

On June 20, World Refugee Day, Airbnb.org announced that more than 50,000 people fleeing Ukraine have found temporary housing, many through our generous Host community. You can learn more about this important work, and watch a video featuring Airbnb.org Hosts, right here

But the hard work must go on. Airbnb.org continues to work with more than 40 supporting organizations to provide stays for refugees of the Ukraine crisis and other asylum-seekers around the world. As the conflict in Ukraine continues, Airbnb.org is now expanding its partnerships to include nonprofits in the U.S. and Canada, and is seeking Hosts in these countries to provide temporary stays for newcomers arriving from Ukraine.

Have you opened your home to a person or family in need of emergency housing? 

Please tell us about it and help inspire more Hosts to get involved—we’d love for you to share your stories.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

I have not yet opened my home to refugees from Ukraine, but I did sign up to airbnb.org back in early April. Around mid-May, I got a general message thanking me and telling me what to expect, but have not been contacted since.

I am guessing it's because, back in early April, I had quite a few bookings coming up and I still do for the summer. Still, because I host long stays, I often have gaps of 1-2.5 weeks in between them. Perhaps these could be of use? I don't know.

Anyway, I am glad that refugees have been able to find housing in part due to the effort of Airbnb hosts. 

Hello @Huma0 

I would like to know if your home is still open and available this summer? From the 27th of this month till the end of August.

I am a Ukrainian student and I’m looking for an accommodation for this period of time. Thank you

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Angel6262 

No, I'm afraid it's not as I already have guests booked for those dates. The first availability I have is early September.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Signing up to Airbnb.org is easy for a host (just a few mouseclicks...).

But i never received such a reservation or even inquiry.

I learned it is too complicated because only selected organisations can make a booking for there "members in need" (so individuals in need can not book themself). Those organisations seem not to be active in my country. So signing up to Airbnb.org does not make much difference in such countries.

But i also learned people in need sometimes book an Airbnb accommodation on the "normal" website (at the moment one of my guests is a refugee from Ukraine, she could have booked  via Airbnb.org, but did not even know it excists )

So IMHO Airbnb.org need to be more visible or offer a lower treshold to book for people in need .

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephanie 

So the main question from my previous post is:

How can a Ukranian refugee book an accommodation on Airbnb.org in my country (or other western European countries  ?)

The help-files do not give a clear answer, just looking for the "book now" button !

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1950

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2591