Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Airbnb
Official Account

Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Untitled.jpg

As our partners on Airbnb, Hosts do an incredible job of honoring reservations and going above and beyond to support guests every day. That’s why guests from around the world trust complete strangers with some of the most important days of their lives—from summer vacations and staycations to honeymoons and anniversary celebrations. 

But when Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons—like accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead—guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this impacts all Hosts and hurts our entire community. 

Starting August 22, 2022, we’re updating our Host Cancellation Policy. The existing policy has been in place for many years and included small fees if you had to cancel a reservation. 

Get the full details on the Resource Center.

188 Replies 188
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

We're passing along any feedback and questions, so although you've said the above isn't overly relevant, I've asked for clarification as I think this could come in useful for others.

Thanks for giving us your input.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Jenny,

completely understand the change of policy for “frivolous” Host cancellations, but Airbnb seems to move ever further form the “Hosting guests at your place” model and closer to a short term rental or even “not quite a hotel” model. We have been having more and more people booking months, and even years in advance and for longer periods (digital or grand parenting nomads!). A great blessing, that could also turn into a bit of a curse as it will limit our flexibility to use our own place. I would love to see a limit in the time frame these cancellations can take place. For example 6 month in advance Host cancellations could be made free. Same thing for reasons to cancel. If my circumstances change and I need to move back permanently into the place I was renting through Airbnb, should I really pay such a high penalty? Should t Airbnb offer relocation services for the canceled upon guests?  I remember having my own reservation cancelled ultra short term by Airbnb mid summer in packed Mykonos. Fake account is a great reason, I get it. I however got no help from Airbnb to find an alternative and no discount or incentive of any sort towards a future booking. Reliability has to go both ways.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Caroline782 I'm really sorry to hear about that experience in Mykonos ... I can only imagine how difficult it must have been.. Our guest refund and rebooking policy was updated a few months back, and although I truly hope you'll never be in such a situation again while travelling, just in case here is more info on how it'd work. 

Thanks again for comments on this policy update though, as Jenny mentioned we are reading and capturing all your feedback. 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I know you said this isn't overly relevant to you, but I thought I'd update in case it helps anyone else.

The policy will apply to any cancellation made on or after August 22nd, 2022, regardless of booking date.

Jenny

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ditto what @Kate867 RE the missing amenities part being a loophole for scammers and CS not being reliable nor responsive enough to fairly implement these policies.

There are countless threads on this CC from hosts who have had their listings suspended or even delisted due to a false claim from a guest seeking a refund/free stay or due to some unknown 'host violation' which CS refuses to reveal to them but at the same time tells them to 'fix'. Often these hosts are left hanging with no answers for weeks at a time. And I am sure this is just a tiny fraction of the hosts experiencing this as most probably don't post about it on the CC. 

In this state of affairs, can we really rely on CS to make fair judgements regarding cancellation penalties?

Also, these penalties are WAY too high. Wouldn't it make more sense if the penalties were related to the cancellation policies? For example, when a host has a flexible policy which allows a guest to cancel and get a full refund up to 24 hours before check in, is it fair to make that host pay 25% of the reservation cost for cancelling 30 days before?! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Huma0 

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

I've made sure your feedback is noted.

Jenny

-----

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

As @Huma0  says… 

“Also, these penalties are WAY too high. Wouldn't it make more sense if the penalties were related to the cancellation policies? For example, when a host has a flexible policy which allows a guest to cancel and get a full refund up to 24 hours before check in, is it fair to make that host pay 25% of the reservation cost for cancelling 30 days before?!”

I absolutely agree with this!  It was a known ‘thing’ during the pandemic for some guests to book both ‘staycations’ and ‘awaycations’ with every intention of cancelling one or the other at the last minute depending on travel restrictions at the time.  I know that we choose our own cancellation policies but Airbnb strongly encourage Hosts to set a cancellation policy as flexible as possible and now those same hosts will have to suffer the same Airbnb cancellation penalties as those with strict policies.. and all at the whim of a possibly inadequately trained member of staff.… Those guests that book places with a strict policy Have every intention of travelling… those on flexible, not so much

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Huma0 and @Kate867 

After having a look at the Resource Center article, I thought it might be useful to let you know that the fee depends on the reservation amount, and how close to check-in the reservation is cancelled.  It would only apply when a Host cancels for a preventable reason. 

If they have a valid reason beyond their control, proof that a guest intends to have a party or break their house rules, or an extenuating circumstance, no fees will incur.

Thank you so much for raising your concerns here - I hope this helps.

Jenny

-----

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Jenny   I do appreciate what you are saying, but unfortunately hosts will still remain at the mercy of Customer support and their decisions with no right of appeal.  All too often we see complaints from hosts who have submitted ‘proof’ but it has been disregarded.  

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hear you @Kate867 - I'm passing along every bit of feedback that I'm seeing here so that it reaches the right people.

Your input is really valued, thank you for letting us know your thoughts.

Jenny

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jenny 

Thanks. Yes, I do understand that part. What I was saying is that the amounts and dates should reflect the cancellation policy. It's not fair for a guest to be able to cancel for any reason up to 24 hours before check in but a host is penalised and charged 25% even if they cancel 30 days before. This is very, very skewed.

As for 'valid' reasons, as @Kate867 says, we are at the mercy of CS's decisions RE whether the reason is valid or not, and we all know that's a game of Russian Roulette. Likewise with guests complaining about missing amenities to scam a free stay.

There are so many posts here about guests reporting hidden cameras when there were none, or a gas leak in a property without gas, and Airbnb not only refunds the guest but suspends the host's listing, cancels their upcoming reservations and ignores the host's proof. So, we just don't trust CS to handle this fairly.

I really get the impression that CS is an elephant in the room. Whenever a discussion like this comes up, e.g. when the timeframe for guests reporting issues changed from 24 hours to 72, Airbnb doesn't offer up any response to the numerous questions from hosts regarding the competency of CS. Airbnb fully knows that CS is a shambles since staff were laid off at the beginning of the pandemic. Until Airbnb sorts out that problem, it should stop introducing new policies that penalise hosts.

By the way, I'm not being totally host centric either. Plenty of guests post on the CC about the appalling treatment they got from CS, even when they have proof of the issue. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up with more information @Huma0 - I'm passing that along.

Jenny

-----

Hello Jenny, 

“Passing on the information.”

Guests and hosts hear this statement all the time from customer service staff. 
My guests and I are jaded. Overused statement with never a resolution.

the latest terms of service was created for one reason-profit for Airbnb.

There is no other reason. 
Have you or your fellow upper staff ever rang Airbnb CS to report or resolve a problem?

It is hours to weeks long event that usually ends with a guest or host losing money and their self respect to Airbnb.

There comes a point when a company is no longer offering a bone fide service. 
The STR business is saturated with other companies and guests and hosts now have other options.

Personally, this is happening where our properties are located.

We now rely on local word of mouth, FB groups, another professional STR group, and Airbnb’s direct competition. )Airbnb is now the last booking platform that we receive reservations from. It was the first one for 4 years).

We actually are able to improve our property and offer our guests a relaxed refund policy.

Airbnb needs to study what is going on with hosts using the platform less and in some cases, leaving Airbnb. This will affect your bottom line. At some point the fees Airbnb charge will not be able to sustain the profit line.

After this change, many hosts will be looking for other streams of profit.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I told one of my guests (a very intelligent young man) about this change and he immediately asked, "Is Airbnb in some sort of financial trouble? Sounds like they are just looking for ways to make more money..."

Sorry if I missed something, but can anyone clarify whether these fines are paid to the guests as compensation, or does Airbnb keep the cash?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 I am sure it will be used to fund Aircover for guests. some guests will get compensated, others will not.