Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
David835
Level 1
Portland, OR

How about extending this to baseball. If the batter hits 9 home runs in a row and then only gets a double on his next trip to the plate the manager takes him aside.

"Look, Jake, we counted on you making home runs. **bleep**, you made 9 and then what happened? You go up and only get a double. What the hell is wrong with you. Nope, we are replacing you."

Jake decides to question the move. "Hey, Sam, here's what I did. It was the ninth inning and we were 15 points ahead. I saw the outfielders move way back to the fence. Hell, if I hit inside the park on a home run try just short of the fence I would be out. So I just tapped it between first and second base and it took forever for the outfielder to run up to the ball."

The manager responds, " That doesn't make sense to me. I want all home runs. So, you are on the bench and we're cutting your salary. "  

Several weeks later the following appeared on the sports page. "Manager of the Team has just been fired for poor management. He was an idiot."

Din3
Level 4
Zagreb, Croatia

Just like a wrote in a previous reply that his is going to cause problems we here is my first. 

Here are my details: 

Been hosting since 2014 and hosted about 550 times 

Last 180 reviews are 5 star reviews. 

I accepted a "newbie"  that has never used the system before and they leave a 3* review with following explanation:

" Apartment on 3rd floor,  shower has no top" the review was written in Korean and had to use a Google translate to get the idea what they wrote.  

PROBLEM:

1. I am on second floor. There is no 3rd floor in the building and just checking Google street view can confirm this. 

2. I have a new shower booth that has no canopy overhead. its modern and cool and EXACTLY as in the pictures. I have 12 foot cathedral cealings in the bathroom and the reaminder of the apartment. 

Called AIRBNB, got basically told, yes we understand that its a newbie, we understand that the review is not factual or has merit to it but it will have to stand. 

I feel terrible, and betrayed by the AIRBNB system again! 

Tuenchai0
Level 10
Pattaya, Thailand

I truly empathise with @Din0. What is the point of us having accurate listings, when a guest can say what they like in contradiction of the listing and get away with it? 

Here's another classic example which has caused me to get another 4* review in the last few days. Amenities: Washer "In the building, free or for a fee" . 

There is a laundry area in the building (not my apartment) with a washing machine "for a fee", but that didn’t stop the guest demanding to know "where the washing machine was in my apartment" and then giving me  4* for amenities and 4* overall. The same guest asked where the "stove" was, even though I only list a microwave under my kitchen amenities. 

It is truly absurd that guests are permitted to make comments that totally contradict what is published in your Airbnb listing, and what is actual reality that can be proved with pictures or video. These sort reviews are permitted by Airbnb because they say it is the guest's own “personal experience”, which I find extremely hard to accept when their experience doesn't match reality. Such reviews also misrepresent the actual property and are misleading for future potential Airbnb guests, so such reviews have no positive benefit to the Airbnb Community.

So, what am I meant to take away from the recent guest experience and their 4 star review? Do I untick the box in Amenities, so that there is no Washer? Even though there is a washing machine in the apartment building. What about the stove that I don’t claim to have, should I now fit one just in case a guest doesn’t properly read what amenities I actually have? 

A major point of reviews should be so that hosts and guests can learn and improve based on accurate and honest feedback. Sadly when a system is in place with no proper mechanism to adjudicate reviews that are challenged, and blanket acceptance of inaccurate and sometimes downright untruthful reviews based on “personal experiences” prevails, it is guaranteed to have a very negative impact on Super Hosts, causing many of the very best hosts to look for alternatives to Airbnb. 

Here’s an ideal, how about Airbnb contact the longest standing and most experienced Super Hosts in every country, and ask them to act as adjudicators when it comes to reviews that are challenged. All hosts will know that unless you’ve been there first hand, you are never going to be able to fully appreciate what it is like to deal with the very small percentage of guests that are impossible to please, or the extortionist guests! 

In conclusion, there needs to be a distinction drawn between what it permitted in a review as “personal experience” and what is actual reality that can be proved. If the a guest’s “personal experience” and review of an Airbnb listing doesn’t match the reality of the actual Airbnb listing then the review should be removed.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

The new Airbnb categorisation for superhosts is very concerning, and may just be the turn off for some very good hosts, who may look for new rental platforms. 

1.   Where we have control, or can take action, as super hosts, sure, measure our abilities.

2.  If a guest especially new  to Airbnb, doesn’t understand the reason for reviews, or doesn’t review, this shouldn’t impact on the super host, as we do not have control over this....

3.  Why should a host suffer a poor star review if  we have been honest and true with the location of the Airbnb space, but the guest doesn’t read the very detailed homespace information and even a personal recommendation to “not book our space if you want the buzz and noise of the city, as we are in the suburbs”....  once again, accuracy and truthful disclosure  should matter. Once again, out of the hosts control....

4.  Some individuals, including guests, refuse to give a 100% for any result or review. 5/5 stars just doesn’t measure in their “yardstick”, and therefore definitely doesn’t marry with the Airbnb requirements for a super host. Once again, out of our control........

5.  Any host who reaches a superhost status, has genuinely worked very hard to make guests feel wonderful by usually individualising their guest’s stay, to meet their personal needs. I would like to see Airbnb supporting the superhosts, rather then finding them guilty by computer default, from one off reviews. Their history and pattern of service should be considered when a superhost challenges a loss of “status”.

Food for thought, or actioning... 

Alfred9
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Dear airbnb:

please listen to guest because they work to make you make more money

none is happy with the new superhost conditions

it seems it only make things more difficult and they are already difficult

we love airbnb

please make us feel airbnb love us

right now superhost don't have enough advantages and instead they suffer for bad guest who even ask money not to give a bad review

airbnb you can help us

please do so

Socrates--Steve-0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Thank you for doing these changes Airbnb. I'm sick and tiered of guest looking for the cheapest place to stay but they want a water frond or beach frond for the little money they want to pay. My Airbnb is about 5 minutes walk to the beach, the shops and transport, very private and quiet location and for location, some arrogan and stupid people give me 3 or 4 stars.  I dont have to warry anymore, because it will be very deficult for all the hosts to be super host just for the logation, some guest are arrogan and never happy. 

Thank God for the change. I've been a super host for a long time and I was worrying that I may lose it because of some stupid guest for location but I don't worry anymore.

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I've tried several times to post a comment, but each time I spend time and effort to do so I get a popup saying comments can't be posted at this time or some such nonsense.  No idea if this will go through.

I just want to say I don't think Airbnb is the least bit interested in our opinions on this ridiculous new policy.  They just waste our time pretending they care what we think about this or anything else.  Not much point in bothering to talk to the Airbnb wall.  We just need to decide if this is the best venue for us with all the changes -- every one seeming to favor guests at the price of hurting hosts.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Socarates- Are you sure you are a Super Host?

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

- I"m w you Mary!

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

I had an extensive conversation with an Airbnb CSR the other day about the confusion and concern this proposed change is creating among the Superhost community. I lso followed up with messages through the Airbnb messaging system. Here is the completely UNACCEPTABLE response I got, followed by my response.  Talk about avoiding the issue!

AIRBNB's RESPONSE:

Thank you for providing that information for me Peter. I see where you're coming from with your concerns with the updates to the Superhost requirements. We're always working to improve and we encourage you to submit your feedback in direct reply to this message. Even if we're unable to accommodate all requests, we truly value your feedback — your voice is both powerful and essential. I’ll be sure to pass your thoughts on to the right team.

MY RESPONSE:

OK, the fact that it took you 2 days to respond to my message and you didn't even address my concern is more than a little disappointing. I expect to receive clarity on this issue promptly. Thank you, Peter Leviten, Superhost

Anna758
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I am surprised more superhosts are not commenting on this acceptance rate issue. I get a lot of requests. There is no way I can accept them all or accept the first one who asks just because they asked first.  I message people at least several times before accpeting anyone. It is my retirement investment and I take a lot of pride in it. Do I want it rented all the time, yes, but not to "just anyone" because I will lose my superhost status if I don't. In addtion, there often they don't even have a profile or write more than one sentence. Yet, I am punished for not accepting a high enough percentage, even when my home is rented the entire season with same day turnarounds most days. Yet, my percentage of accpetance is not high enough? I have no more vacancy to fill???

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I've been trying to comment here, and as often happens I get "An unexpected error has occurred."  This happens fairly regularly, and not just to me.

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Exactly.  They couldn't care less what we think about all these changes they are making to accommodate guests.  I've received the same bland responses from them.  Basically they are saying:  "Thank you for sharing."

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

When all else fails I post a comment on their Facebook page.  That always gets a response, even if not a very satisfying one.  At least they have someone monitoring their page so I know they read our opinions, unlike here.

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

There's something incredibly apt about that error message we sometimes get.