Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 29 - Adopting a cat

Quincy_3-1640818958175.png

Hello everyone, 

I’m sure some of you know the cat in the photo above 🙂

My significant other and I have been thinking of adopting a pet for quite some time. We have been looking around for a while, but we weren’t sure whether to look for a dog or a cat (I’ve got love for both of them). 

Personally, I prefer an indoor cat since we live in the city. All the dogs I’ve had in the past were dogs that were used to living near big open areas such as the woods, so if I’d ever take a dog, I would prefer being near the woods instead of in a big city (so that they roam freely).

Milky (the cat in the pic)

In 2020, when everything started shutting down due to COVID, we felt we were missing something in the house. Around that time, it seemed that everyone started buying pets as the pandemic started to cause everyone to work from home, but we preferred adopting one instead. 

We suddenly found an ad on the internet about a cat that unfortunately needed to go due to personal reasons. We decided to contact the number on the listing, and the owner invited us to a video call to see whether we were a good fit and to generally show us Milky at the time. 

We fell in love with him immediately and decided to pick him up asap after the owner told us we were a good fit, and so there we went. Upon arriving at the location, the owner told us that she was having issues getting Milky into the cage (as if he knew what was about to happen).  Finally, after she was able to get Milky into his cage, the kids of the owner were very upset to see him go, and some tears were shed. 

We loaded all his belongings into the car and waved a final goodbye to what were now his previous owners. 

The drive went smooth, and we set up all his stuff at home and all was well at first, however...

Day 1: Hiding.

Day 2: We were starting to get concerned as we didn’t notice him eating any food nor using the litter box, and so I set up an old security camera. 

Day 3: Noticed he started eating and using the litter box. 

Day 4: Carefully exploring the house at night.

Day 5: Hiding during the day, but exploring at night.

Day 6: Hiding during the day, but exploring at night.

Day 7: Started coming closer to us (see image)

…. Fast-forward to present-day….

Quincy_0-1640818867859.jpeg

(security cam footage - yes, he is actually wondering what it is!) 

Quincy_1-1640818867783.jpeg

(Carefully observing us from a distance) 

Present:

Quincy_2-1640818867786.jpeg

I've had a cat in the past, but I forgot how great it feels having a companion again 😃. I hope he’ll be around for many years to come! 

Take good care of yourselves and your pets this festive season, and give them a few extra snacks!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

57 Replies 57
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Lovely story, Milky is such a beauty 🙂 I am 100% for adoption and 0% for buying a pet. I've heard ugly stories about breeders and about conditions these poor animals are kept. I would never buy a pet.

I am a cat and dogs lover. And animal lover in general 🙂 What I noticed is - male cats and female dogs are more affectionate and cuddly than female cats and male dogs.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Absolutely @Branka-and-Silvia0! I 100% prefer adopting instead 🙂 

I was told a similar thing by someone a while ago about male cats being more affectionate than female cats!

-----

Annabelle1
Level 5
QC, Philippines

Hi, @Quincy You have a great story. I myself loved to adopts cats as much as I can and I have already 7 cats and my favorite one is Tix he died last year fell off from the 12th floor building in my condo in Manila the rest is now with my brothers and I have 3 here with me now. I just love them though I love to have a dog in the future.

FB_IMG_1640867728053.jpg

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about Tix @Annabelle1 😞.  Is that Tix in the photo? 

-----

Hi @Quincy happy New Year. Yes that is Tix.

Cheers 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

I have to admit I gave this a thumbs up before I read it! Milky is a beauty. I just want to rub that belly 🙂

Yes to adoption. There are so many animals waiting for a home. Some will have been waiting for a very long time. Give them a chance and they will reward you a thousand times over.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I 100% agree with that @Huma0! 😊

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I wanted a cat for a very long time, but waited until I moved to my house where there was plenty of space and then decided to get two. I was planning on going to the shelter, when I found out about a litter of kittens.

A lady I knew from college had found two abandoned kittens at the back of her garden. She asked around her neighbourhood, but no one claimed knowledge of them and so she re-homed one and kept the other. She didn't realise how young an un-neutered female could get pregnant and, before you knew it, a litter came along. I told her I would take two of the kittens and that is how I became mum to Pinot and Grigio.

293444_10150262499431883_7215523_nc.jpg

They are now 10.5 years old and not so tiny anymore.

5C839E2A-8E68-4080-ADAB-6D39E609B505.jpeg

About four years later, a stray started visiting my garden. He looked like he was in a bad way. I assumed he was lost, as I had never seen him before that, and tried every possible way I could think of to find his owners and fed him in the meantime. He was very scared and you couldn't get close to him so I had to trap him to get him to the vet. Lucky I did, because it turns out he had been hit by a car and probably would have died that day or the next.

I was going to take him to the shelter, but the vet told me that no one would adopt this cat and he would spend his whole life in a cage and that it was better to just let him back outside (she had neutered him). The cat was completely feral, she said, so when I tried to find a home for him, no one wanted him. Once fully recovered, I let him back outside thinking I would never see him again, but he came back every day and eventually just moved in.

My 'feral' cat has turned out to be the most affectionate floof ball you can imagine. He can never get enough cuddles and his purr is as loud as a motorbike. I named him Merlot.

59A1A52D-CB0F-4F93-8241-1EE0375123DF.jpeg

My cats are now middle aged but can still be very silly. They make me laugh every single day.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

BEAUTIFUL! ❤️❤️❤️ @Huma0 

-----

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy I can't tell you how much I love this story. From Milky's photo at the very top with that here's-my-belly-I-trust-you-completely pose to every step of this journey until he felt that trust.

What's icing on the cake is all the wonderful comments and photos in the comments section. Thank you for sharing 😻😻

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Where's your cat @Nick? 👀

-----

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

He's right here! Screenshot 2021-12-31 at 17.05.38.png

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick

Love! 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Quincy @Huma0  Beautiful cat Quincy!  I love a good long haired chonker. 

And Huma #blackcats! Here is another one of ours, The Squirt.  He was abandoned and wandering in the back yard area, so we started feeding him.  We thought he was wild until I at one point moved to pick him up assuming he would run away and he let me pick him up, carry him out of the way of what I was doing, and then ran back and put both his front paws on my legs.  We didn't really want any more cats, so we continued feeding him for a few more weeks, 20170614_151943.jpghe spent most of his time sitting on the patio furniture.  Then one day we were both in the basement when it was raining and there he was, standing at the bottom basement step, so we brought  him in.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, those poor #blackcats have had such a hard time. The Squirt is certainly a very beautiful little panther.

I honestly did not want another cat when Merlot arrived. However, I really had no choice. He decided this would be his home and that was the end of that. There is a reason he came here rather than to any of my neighbours. They had seen him around, but he only approached me.

The Squirt sounds like he was pretty domesticated from the start. Do you have any idea where he might have come from? I'm guessing he was lost.

Merlot once got lost during a heatwave. As he'd already been hit by a car before he came here, he's not the most agile of cats and can't run fast. He also never learnt to meow so he would probably never be heard if he accidentally got shut in someone's shed etc. I was really worried about him and tried everything I could to find him.

After a couple of weeks, he reappeared in the back garden, ecstatic to have found his way home, but looking rather well groomed and fat. He'd clearly managed to melt someone else's heart and had rather a nice summer vacation! 

7CF654B3-D0B9-4AEE-954C-4DD5B7F24B66.jpeg