Get involved in the Community Center’s Festival of Sustainability 2023 [Update]

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Get involved in the Community Center’s Festival of Sustainability 2023 [Update]

Festival of Sustainability Airbnb  Community Center.jpg

Hello everyone,

As the world grapples with issues of climate change, pollution, and other environmental challenges, the need for sustainability has never been more important.

One way of promoting sustainability is by bringing people together to celebrate the earth and learn ways to protect it. In celebration of Earth Day, we thought it would be a perfect opportunity to organize the second annual Festival of Sustainability, from April 20th to April 27th.

The festival is entirely online, full of great topics and fun conversation. You can revisit our first Festival by having a look here: Festival of Sustainability 2022.

The goal is to raise awareness of sustainable practices and offer practical solutions that anyone can adopt in their daily lives.  We do need your help, though, so we would like to invite you to get involved.

Here are two ways:

1. Community Photo Collage:

Share a photo of yourself somewhere “green.” It could be at a park,  a forest, a beach cleanup,  a botanical garden or even your backyard. We will stitch all the images together to make our very own community collage that we will share as a featured post at the end of the festival. Your photo could inspire others to take action, reduce their carbon footprint, and live more sustainably. So, dust off your camera, grab your phone, and snap a photo of yourself in a green space.

How this works: 

• Take a selfie of yourself somewhere “green”
  • Landscape or portrait
  • Clear, quality photos using your smartphone (or other device if you prefer)
  • Ideal image formats: JPEG or PNG
  • Send your submissions to airbnb-cc@airbnb.com to be included in the grand reveal at the end of the festival or post it below.

2. Create a detailed topic all sustainability:

If you would like to create a topic to be included in the week, please comment below or contact me directly to discuss this further. Some topics to consider are renewable energy sources, recycling, green products – we have other topics we can suggest as well so feel free to reach out if you’d like some ideas!

We are asking for a maximum of 750 words (if you can!), which we will translate into all the languages we support here on the CC to share during the Festival. 

Together, we can make a positive impact on our planet. Let's do this! Let’s all share and inspire each other during the Festival of Sustainability!

Thanks so much,

**Deadline for article submissions is Thursday, Apr 13, 2023 Monday, 17 April, 2023

**Deadline for photo submissions is Monday Apr 24, 2023

*Disclaimer 

By submitting your image to the email address above, you authorize Airbnb to use your media, your first name, profile photo, and city and country of residence in marketing materials to promote Airbnb.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

89 Replies 89
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@ Quincy working on my piece for sustainability. It should be ready by the 13th and posted from NZ 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Great news @Laurelle3 ! Looking forward to it 🤩.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Peter3390
Level 3
México D.F., Mexico

IMG_20230123_141657180_HDR.jpg

Selfie from Comayagua Department, Honduras, on a medical mission to remote mountain villages.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

@Peter3390  , sounds like an incredible experience! Such missions are so important for healthcare access in remote villages.

It is so great to see how you were able to take a moment and feel the nature‌🏔‌.During my college days, I was a part of UNICEF internship where we visited a remote village. And I was stunned to see the lush green hills there. Absolute beauty of the color green. 

Bhumika_0-1680804297624.png

I hope your medical mission was successful. We would love to hear more stories about it! 🌟

-----

Yes, I think it was a success. Very rewarding, and we were able to reach a number of people who have trouble getting down to the city to look for medical care. We even saw people by the roadside and once on a makeshift soccer (football) field.

Peter3390_1-1680805054283.png

looking awesome 😎

It is also the best **[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

20230410_144407.jpg

  This what I found on my walk in New Zealand they are using recycled paper to make plant protectors instead of plastic ones. When they break down they are regenerated again into the earth. Found these on the way to Bennett's Bluff look out

Felicity11
Host Advisory Board Member
Manly, Australia

Oh that looks like some good Kiwi ingenuity !  🤣  Thanks for sharing it with us @Laurelle3 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

I have sent my article for the sustainable festival also to Bhumika and Jenny. I hope you receive it.

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Excited to read it!

Jennifer Schnier
Ren21128
Level 1
Manila, Philippines

CDE50597-4CCD-4A1A-890E-96CEC251D0D3.jpeg

Jennifer3225
Port Severn, Canada

Host Sustainability Committee.jpg

Hi all. 

The 2023 Host Advisory Board Sustainability Subcommittee met today.. We were missing Jue, but seen here are some great members.  @Marielle135 @Felicity11  Claudia, Mauricio, Jose, Jue, Yajara, to name a few. 

Articles are coming for the Festival of Sustainability

Jennifer Schnier
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Awesome @Jennifer3225 ! Thanks for sharing this lovely picture with us!😍

-----

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

We can't wait for the festival to start and for your involvement in the festival!

@Jennifer3225 

@Felicity11

The New Zealanders I have to say they are more progressive than the Australians. Remember they were involved when the Greenpeace "Rainbow Warrior" was bombed by the French in 1985. They were attacked because they were trying to protect the Moruroa Atoll from nuclear testing. These same waters end up flowing into the New Zealand waters for their marine life and their fish that feeds their nation.

I could go on, but we do know that the British did nuclear testing in Woomera (Central Australia) in 1945 to the late 60's and many of the Veteran's serving there died of cancer let alone the "True Australians" (Aboriginals) that lived there on their own land were really not protected.

With this history we know why New Zealand cherish and treasure their island and try to protect their earth and environment. We also know about Chernobyl and Japan.

Our earth is a beautiful place and needs protecting as our forbears thought they were doing the right thing but we need to save it for our children and grandchildren. Someone has to start somewhere and now I think is the time