Improving price transparency for guests

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Improving price transparency for guests

image1.png

Today, CEO Brian Chesky announced that we’re updating how prices are displayed to guests in Airbnb search results. Our goal is to maximize price transparency in places like the U.S., where showing nightly prices (before fees) is currently the travel industry standard.

Guests who currently find nightly prices in search results will be able to switch to showing the total prices. The total price includes the price per night, Airbnb service fee, and any Host fees for cleaning, pets, or extra guests. 

We’re making this change, along with a few others, to help you stay competitive and meet guest expectations. Get the details on the Resource Center. 

Displaying total price and simplifying checkout

What’s your strategy: Build your cleaning costs into your nightly price, or charge a separate cleaning fee?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

109 Replies 109

I think Airbnb should stay away from the word “chores”. That word has a negative connotation. Maybe “Checkout info” or “Checkout reminders”.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Pat271, I'll make sure to share that suggestion with those working on this!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

@Stephanie

Regarding your question on cleaning fees:

I've been hosting since spring 2019, with a break from summer 2021 to summer 2022.

During this time, I've played with different strategies for cleaning fees, sometimes charging one, sometimes not.

When I took a break, you could only chose between charging a cleaning fee, and not charging.

I've noticed now that you can have different cleaning fees, depending on length of stay.

But from what I can see, the only option you have, is to charge a lower cleaning fee for shorter stays. Which I'm sure makes sense for some hosts.

For me, though, I would like to go the other way...

Currently I don't charge a cleaning fee, but I have a 2-night minimum stay and a 7 day maximum.

I prefer shorter stays, having the same rate per night, and not charging a cleaning fee.

But then it does not feel like it is "worth it" to allow 1-night stays, so I have a 2-night minimum.

On the other hand, if I add a cleaning fee, then the cost per night would be higher also for the guests who stay 2-3 nights. I would like to be able to apply a cleaning fee, only for 1-night stays

Would it be possible to change the cleaning fee settings, to add more flexibility?

With the extra person fee, you can choose to add a fee from x persons, x to be decided by the host. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Trude0 Welcome back to hosting, I hope the transition back into it after that break was a smooth as can be. 🙂

Your strategy around cleaning fees definitely appears to make sense for your listing, and thank you for sharing that suggestion on even more flexibility around how to set them up. I'll certainly relay that idea to the team for you! 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Stephanie  It is a bug bear for guests in other countries who simply cannot figure out why the end price is often much higher than they expected. They are unsure who the fees are paid to, and somehow think its all 'for cleaning' as hosts are competing from the vantage point of 'pay per night ' being the main visual ,  Hosts are reluctant to increase that price as this would put them out of the 'price zone' .The most viable Airbnb is a four person booking and everything else rotates around this. Those with three bedroom houses are at a disadvantage , wheras those with larger houses can justify larger prices in the market place, another  person hosting a three bedroom house, virtually must have a 'cleaning fee' because market saturation does not allow the extra cleaning to be covered in the up front fee, as this puts them out of the 'market price arena. Showing the fees up front would help to justify the cleaning fee by allowing guests to weigh the 'larger house' factor and the actual fee into their booking decisions . Some" four guest" houses have exorbitant hidden 'cleaning fees' . An "open book" allows guests to compare apples with apples... H