Introducing new Airbnb Categories

Airbnb
Official Account

Introducing new Airbnb Categories

tools-categories-XL_(2) copia.png

In May, we introduced Airbnb Categories – a new way of making millions of unique homes discoverable to guests who would have never known existed otherwise. We want to ensure guests looking for a unique space, like yours, can easily find it in categories and feel enticed to book. 

So, we’re introducing new Airbnb Categories:

• New: Listings added to Airbnb within the past 10 weeks
  • Trending: Highly rated homes receiving more listing views than the previous week
  • Hanoks: Traditional Korean homes constructed of natural materials 
  • Top of the world: Places guests can stay around 10,000 feet above sea level, often with stunning views
  • Adapted: Spaces confirmed to include accessibility features, like step-free paths to the guest entrance, a bedroom, and a bathroom
  • Play: Listings with basketball courts, game rooms, trampolines, water slides, and more
  • Private rooms: This update to our Shared Homes Category offers 1.2 million beautiful and affordable spaces of all types, excluding hotels

Additionally, starting early in 2023, you’ll also be able to check which category your listing is in and provide more specifics about your space – we’ll share more info about this soon. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

68 Replies 68
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael5047 

@Michael5047 wrote:

more categories?

I thought Airbnb was removing this because their search algorithm wasn't working that great.

Who told you that? As far as I can see, Airbnb are clinging on to the idea of categories for dear life. They can't, after announcing it as 'their biggest change in a decade', or whatever the wording was, just scrap it after a few months and admit that it was a disaster.

No, Airbnb claim to have had one of the best quarters ever. Meanwhile, the share price continues to drop... So clearly, not everyone believes the hype. Time will tell, but they seem hell bent on pushing this whole category idea no matter how many hosts and guests say they hate it (none of my guests have found it useful at all).

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny, for me when travelling I am not interested in the categories and I am only interested in place where I want to stay. Next for me is the price per night which then leads me to the thumbnail picture of accommodation that might interest me.

When scanning through the accommodation pictures there is often too many with wine glasses, coffee machines and views of the local area, they are a turn off for me. It is not the desired feeling or experience that I can have but it is what are they not telling me about the rooms or space that are not shown, what is wrong with the accommodation or missing. Or it is it clean and do they offer me the items that I may require or use for the stay. I then look at the list of items that the property offers and has available.

Next, for me is looking at the reviews and this is the last decider. Now that I have been hosting and reading host views on CC forum you can get a feeling from the guest reviews. if these reviews are are positive or negative. You have to read the star score and the words written to see if they match because some guests don't understand the star system and some people never give 5 stars. Like many hosts before me have stated "there are to many categories and where does my accommodation/property fit." The new number of categories is 55, my question is; Do I have time to look at all of these categories and how can I put words into my description to fit in as many as I can for my accommodation/property. The number is overwhelming.  

I have been doing my own verbal research from guests staying. I ask them: What do they look for on the Airbnb web page when they stay. Most of our guests travel from within our NSW state or they are passing through from northern or southern states.

There answers have been; location on the map, dates available, price and how close to the shops and beach, then they check the reviews, 

@Laurelle3 interesting feedback on photos. For 2 of our listings we have a picture of the building. for 1 a picture of the bedroom. Do feel free to have a look and let us know if they would put you off looking further.

@Mike-And-Jane0 thank you for the offer to have a look at the 3 pictures of your property "The Old Rectory". The photos of the building and gardens are calling me to look at in preference to the photo of the Entire home/apt. 1 bed.

But as I have said it is the cost and number of beds that you are offering. All 3 listings have kitchens to prepare meals (cost saving while travelling) which is great. 

You should be proud of your property that you share with guests and the reviews are all complimentary to you and your helpful information about your local area and walks. Your pets even got a mention along with the sheep and birds.

For me I would stay at your place for the history, gardens, open countryside and not to far to the shops and resturants but I would be using the kitchen. A tick from me. 

@Laurelle3 thanks for looking. I shall switch the picture of the outside to the 1 bed apartment as well. I suspect the age of property is our USP so we probably should focus on that.

I've had a look also, what a lovely property you have there! I'd like to add that for me it depends for what reason I'm looking. Traveling to the UK, to stay in a historic building like yours, I might adapt my route somewhat. A photo of a cozy inside living room and bedroom does draw me in, as well as the photos of the building in your case. As has been said before, number of beds, price, and full kitchen are important too. I like to see the beds and the kitchen in the photos too. 

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Laurelle3 Very interesting and thorough strategy, though it makes sense what you look out for and why. All guests are different and while some may use the categories, others like yourself may look out for very different things. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 😃

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

LOL regarding wine glasses. . As a newbie host in 2010 I probably threw a couple of wine glasses in the photos.  It’s hosts doing that you know. They think they are setting up an architectural digest photo shoot. 😅

but up you did make me think I should look over my listing just in case I missed an errant wine glass 😅

@Kristina46 I often think the wine glasses is saying come here and drink have a good time, party and what follows who knows. Maybe this is why there is some complaints from hosts.

The coffee machine was a marketing tool which Airbnb recommended to have and promote. Yes we have a distant photos on the bench and leave different strengths of pods which are rarely used.

I think we are becomming puppets, robots and forever changing and adapting to the "New " suggestions, ideas that are arriving from Airbnb.

However, we need to make our own decisions as we are all grasping for the samething - Bookings. Some want more and some want fewer bookings for our buisness or money making machine with the help of Airbnb or other platforms.

very well said!

I realized that in search results the cover photo i have chosen for the listing does not appear.  instead they show a picture of the whole building or living room which are also in my listing but not eh cover photo. I find this rather off putting for potential guests looking for a room to stay. I am trying to get an answer from Airbnb but no luck yet...

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Stephanie-G0 ,

If the cover photo you have chosen doesn’t appear the way you like, you can Add the cover photo again after deleting the existing one. This should update your cover photo to your liking.

I wanted to share this thread that discusses a similar solution : Changed cover photo . I hope it helps! Do let us know if you are able to change it back to the desired one.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Bhumika, 

I tried that and it still did not change the picture. I will read further thru the thread but I also put a request in with the costumer support. very frustrating.....

Hi Bhumika, 

I received this answer today from Airbnb. I am pretty upset about this. I don't think a picture of the living room represents a rental of a bedroom correctly and turns of potential guests as they do not see on a first glance what they are searching for. So far I lost almost 18% of my bookings each month since the change to categories and cover photos.

"As per the team, Note that for the Rooms category, Hosts can expect to see the cover photo selected by internal teams. Once the best cover photo has been selected, the listing will display the selected cover photo in any search, unless someone accesses the listing with a direct link (Host-selected photo will be displayed in this instance)."

@Stephanie-G0 if the cover photo you want isn't there as mentioned by @Bhumika you can change it. By going to

1. Menue

2. Listing 

3 Under cover photo it then says change.  It should work.

4 Or you can move your photos around or add photos

When I looked at my local area of rooms there was a mixture of kitchettes, bedrooms, varandahs and views.

Maybe Airbnb has put the most appealing photo first because from all the algorithms people may be looking at living areas or bedrooms.

Not necessary what we like to be there. So have another go of changing photo.

I suggest have a look at accommodation around you and look at their photos for research. 

This is the exciting world of Airbnb and we have to be the master or mistress.

Laurelle3, thank you for your reply 🙂  i tried all that multiple times and spoke to Airbnb. Today i got his answer. therefore no mater how many times i change it it will be chosen by Airbnb. 

"As per the team, Note that for the Rooms category, Hosts can expect to see the cover photo selected by internal teams. Once the best cover photo has been selected, the listing will display the selected cover photo in any search, unless someone accesses the listing with a direct link (Host-selected photo will be displayed in this instance)."