Learn how to get started hosting a Room

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Learn how to get started hosting a Room

AirbnbRooms.png

Are you new to hosting a Room or thinking about turning your extra bedroom into one? It can be a great way to earn money with your extra space.

The benefits of hosting a Room go beyond earnings, says Eric, a Superhost in Los Angeles. “Guests come to California to have their own adventure, but it’s also a nice adventure for us, because we don’t know who’s going to be on the other side of the door,” Eric says. “We get to learn a lot about places around the globe.”

Rooms are popular worldwide, ranking third in bookings among all types of places to stay on Airbnb. If you have a spare bedroom, you can set up a listing and welcome guests into your home.

Find out what you need to know to get started in the new Rooms learning series on the Resource Center:

What questions do you have about hosting a Room? Ask them in the comments.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

7 Replies 7
Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

@Bhumika Totally agree with the view shared by Eric. It is indeed a somewhat awkward or anxious type of a feeling when one prepares to host a total stranger in their home and have them use the ‘room next door’. Nevertheless, this has been a great experience ever since i opened my home to share a private room that was not in use as our Son was away abroad in College. We had a good connection and sat to exchange stories from their home countries. I was curious to learn how they had traced us yet the farm house is in a remote area up near the hills. One guest told us that he was a keen follower of our accomplished Elite Marathon Runners 🇰🇪 He told me that he was there to retrace their training. This was news to me! So the search led him to us as we had indicated that our space was good for high altitude training, jogging, hiking. So what did i learn, that it is paramount to have a descriptive profile that describes your listing and what the guests will find. So a guide book is a must have. All in all we have shared great aspects of our lives and cultures and made lifelong friendships. We have had some of these solo travelers return to us with their families, as they went ahead and found spouses in the Country. Great! Thank you for this conversation. Heartwarming. 🤗

JMM

Hello I'm new here and I need some guidance from someone who has bn here for a while

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

When I travel, i always try to stay where the host lives too. It just feels more personal and real that way. I'll never forget my first host – he was renting out his room in his apartment, and we got along so well that we've been friends for over 10 years now. He was actually one of the people who got me interested in hosting. I love the idea of opening up my home to travelers. For now, i am unable to do it yet but i hope i’ll be able to host a room  someday soon. 🙏🏽🥰

Sounds great I am not interested at this time

ki

Hi, my name is Tracy, I’m new here and I’m trying to cover one of bed room in my house to do airbnb , because there’re only me and my little girl in the house so i was wondering if I’m allowed to set up my listing to where i only host female guest or a couple? Please help! 
thank you!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tracy1129 ! I found an Airbnb Help Centre article that states 

According to Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy, you may make a listing available to only guests of your gender when you share living spaces with them (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas).                               

You can read the Community policy further here Can I choose to only host people of my own gender?

It would also be a good idea to reach Customer Support team to further understand this policy specifically for your case. All the best!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines