May Release: Q&A with Catherine Powell

May Release: Q&A with Catherine Powell

Hi everyone,

I am so excited to connect with all of you today.

I have recently started Hosting and I absolutely love it. Meeting with guests and sharing my home has been an incredible experience and also given me a deep appreciation of all that being a great Host involves. Coming to the Community Centre and reading all the comments and suggestions from you, I can see clearly what a powerful resource this forum is for Hosts across the world. 

Last week, Airbnb CEO, Brian Chesky, announced the 2023 Airbnb May release with many exciting updates to our platform, including features for Hosts designed to enhance your overall experience on and off the app.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the feedback across our forums and channels including here in the Community Centre. Your feedback guides how we prioritize the updates we make across our service, our policies, and our product.  

And the feedback doesn’t stop at the release. I’m inviting all of you to our very first Community Centre Q&A session. This is a moment for us to have an open conversation to answer questions you have about our May release. 

Our wonderful team of Community Managers will help coordinate the Q&A and ensure we have an environment where everyone is respected and feels comfortable to ask questions and share their thoughts. One request of you for this Q&A, is to keep your questions related to the 2023 May Release. I know you will not be short of questions and I promise we will have more opportunities to discuss other hosting matters in the future.

Please submit your questions before the end of this week – Friday the 12th of May. The Community Managers will gather the most relevant and popular questions and I’ll make sure to write back to your top questions here in the Community Center by the end of this month. 

Thank you all and have a wonderful day!

---

👉 Make sure to read and follow the Q&A Guidelines. Click "read more" below.

Read more
  • Remain respectful in your interactions with other Hosts and the Airbnb team. Let's make sure our communication remains meaningful and constructive. 
  • Kindly keep your questions focused on the 2023 product release and provide relevant feedback on the topic.
  • You may  use the comment section to ask questions related to the release and the like button to upvote a question that you would like to see addressed.
  • Be as clear as possible regarding your question, describing what you want to know and why you think it’s relevant for Airbnb’s Host Community. 
  • All questions  will be reviewed. We’ll prioritize the most relevant and popular questions – those concerning our global  Host Community and directly linked to the May release.
  • Kindly focus your questions on the features and enhancements included as part of the May updates rather than what’s not included. 
  • We reserve the right to remove replies that do not follow the above guidelines
  • We will do our best to ensure that critical concerns about Airbnb’s 2023 Summer Release are addressed.

101 Replies 101

I feel that to be a Superhost for 60-70 different groups of guests in a year (our average number of bookings/year with an average of 4 nights/booking) is much harder (and a lot more work) than being an excellent host to a handful.  A lot more engagement is needed to be sure they are happy  and comfortable and have everything they need.

Thanks @Catherine-Powell 

A host passport is a great idea. I've always had a bio on my listing that explains who I am.

A guest passport should be MANDATORY before they can book a private room. I'm mystified at why Airbnb continues to ask more from its host while controlling the flow of information and then, in return, asking hosts to assume the safety risks.

Guests who don't want to provide that information would be a red flag.

Let's go back to our roots. - Airbnb is about connecting people. Watch how much revenue that will generate when it is more an "ambassador program" than an "anonymous and cheap" motel equivalent platform. I connected with and am now friends with a number of my past guests.

Here's my interview in the KC Business Journal making the same point.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2023/04/28/airbnb-expects-big-revenue-for-kc-area-hosts....

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Christine615 , Glad to know that you are loving the Host passport update and thank you for your suggestion about the guest passport.

Did you have a chance to go through the other upgrades? Do let us know if you have any other favourites among these. We look forward to your feedback!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Rie9
Host Advisory Board Member
Yomitan, Nakagami District, Japan

Hi Catherine, KONNICHIWA
I'm Rie, a HAB member 2023 from Japan.

All Japanese hosts are very happy with this update!

Especially the READ feature was well received!
They are very excited about that, as it was previously suggested to the FB community by a Tokyo host @Ken2 
It's a great, responsive update.

Here is a suggestion from the Japan community.
Currently from the guest side,
The order in which guest reviews are posted is based on the order in which the languages set by the guest on the app are given top priority.
However, we experience long lockdowns due to the Corona disaster, and older reviews sometimes come first.
It is not nice from a host who is constantly trying to update, to have the complained about reviews come to the front of the list, even though they are being reviewed and improved.
The overwhelming majority of guests want the latest guest reviews to always come to the front because of the automatic translation feature.
(We've already surveyed the Japanese community!)

PS,

Our Japanese hosts are very proud of you for presenting Japan's efforts in your Skift interview. Especially your pronunciation of "KANKEI-JINKOU" was perfect!!

Thank you!

Thank you, Rie san!

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Rie9 

We're thrilled to hear that Japanese Hosts are very happy with the update!

Thanks so much for sharing your valuable feedback and comments with us.

Jenny

-----

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

Hi Catherine, 

Greeting from Adelaide. 

Summer release has been great but only one thing that becomes a controversial topic.  

According Brian's talk on the Verge. " The profile got smaller , the listing got bigger..."

My question is why the host passport is only for Airbnb Room not for all Airbnb host?

The digital passport idea is great and will it become a norm on Airbnb ?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Many thanks.

Sarah
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sarah5000,

I have seen many Hosts have echoed a similar sentiment of having a Host passport for all Hosts. Indeed a popular one.

Thank you for sharing your question with us😍!

-----

KatieKayMead0
Lake Arrowhead, CA

I'm also excited about Passports being available to all-- for both guests and hosts, sharing "who we are" is the seedling of connection!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I love that analogy @KatieKayMead0 - Hosts are the trees that keep the whole Community strong, thriving and nurtured. That first connection being a seedling is so apt! 🌳

-----

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

I love the passports for Airbnb Rooms hosts. It makes me feel more confident to book an Airbnb room knowing a little more about the host I will be staying with. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I hear you, @Felicity11

In the past it's always been exciting to get to a place I've booked and find that I've got things in common with my Host. 

Most recently, a home filled with books, and an unexpected book nook just off the living room, which was a wonderful surprise!

-----

Felicity11
Manly, Australia

Ooh @Jenny  we are so on the same path. I think a good book is an essential part of a good holiday.  I keep a bookcase stocked with a wide range of books so I hope there is something there for every one to read - old and young, fiction, design, science...  i have guests comment on how much they appreciate this. 

Charlotte40
Level 5
Egmont Village, New Zealand

Hi Catherine - 

thanks for the chance to ask questions here - especially because I can't make the community leader sessions.

In our community group in NZ, the resounding feedback is how much people love the "read"feature.

My question is whether the new "compare prices" feature works if you've connected to a channel manager. 

I chose to connect to a channel manager because I wanted to take pay all of the service fees for my guests, and I can understand that this would affect my ability to select multiple dates or pricing features (as they're done through the manager) but had thought I would still be able to compare listings?

I hope you can shed some light on this,

thanks

Charlotte 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Charlotte40 ,

Thank you for sharing with us that the new read feature has been topping the favourite list of Hosts along with Compare prices and host passport. 

Would you mind sharing which service you are using for managing your listings? It can help us to dig in more about its compatibility.

It has been reported to the respective teams as well. 

-----