Post-lockdown hosting impressions

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Post-lockdown hosting impressions

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 16.57.39.png

Hey everyone,

After spending some time away from hosting, some of you have started welcoming guests back into your listings again. 

As members of the CC share their recent experiences, we’ve all been engaging in some pretty enlightening and interesting conversations regarding the adaptations both hosts and guests have made in this new scenario.

I’ve gathered below some of the discussions we’ve had that are filled with great insights and impressions in our collaborative attempt to understand the best ways to face this challenge.

Can you think of other topics to add to our list? It would be great to hear your thoughts 😊

Thanks,

Liv

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

Thanks for putting together this list. I hadn't seen all of these threads, so will take a look at the ones I'm not familiar with. I am sure there are also many other relevant ones out there too, but can't think of them now off the top of my head.

I did want to say thought that I had a new question in relation to COVID era hosting come up today. I have a long-term guest who checked in yesterday and seems like a very lovely and considerate girl. She asked if it was okay for her to have a friend over to visit at some point soon.

Normally, if a guest asks nicely like this, and it's a one-off visit, then I am okay with their friend coming over for tea or dinner etc. However, I did have to think twice about it and, after some contemplation, told her it was not a good idea. I need to minimise the number of people coming in and out of the house. My own family and friends are not coming to visit now, so is it wise to allow guests to have visitors?

Luckily, she totally understood and was appreciative when I gave her some suggestions of places nearby with outdoor seating where she could meet her friend without feeling uncomfortable about proximity to others. 

It made me think though, is this something I now need to add to my listing or house rules? I have found that most guests don't seem overly concerned about COVID-19 safety in the house, so it's up to us as hosts to lay down some ground rules in that respect.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0,

Thanks for sharing! That's a very interesting point. I'm guessing that, in the end, hosts will have to make sure guests practice social distancing just like they would make sure all other listing rules are being followed.

Have you thought more about it? I'd love to know whether you ended up adding this recommendation to your listing description.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Liv 

I haven't yet, but I think I might. It's not something that has come up too often yet, but I can imagine this won't be the last time. I already have something in the rules that says guests need to ask permission first if they want to have visitors, but might change this to no visitors allowed for the time being due to COVID, especially as restrictions are starting to tighten again here in the UK.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 That makes sense! I guess the key really is to be constantly adapting and tweaking rules according to new circumstances. 

One observation I have after 100 percent occupancy in september:

No guest has used any of the sanitizer provided in the guest room, entrance hallway or guests  bathroom.

They are all still full. 🤷‍

Read into that what you will.

😬