Pricing tools you can use to attract more bookings

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Pricing tools you can use to attract more bookings

Stephanie_0-1671036173713.png

Last month, CEO Brian Chesky announced that Airbnb planned to let guests switch from nightly prices to total prices in Airbnb search results. Total prices include all fees before taxes. Starting today, guests can now turn on this option in the U.S. and other countries worldwide where showing nightly prices is a travel industry standard. 

You can check out total prices the next time you visit Airbnb. Select “Switch to traveling” and tap or click on the toggle button next to “Display total price” at the top of the page. Keep in mind that this option isn’t available in places where local rules already require total prices including taxes to be displayed up front.

Airbnb’s pricing tools let you set a nightly price that meets your financial goals and offers value to guests. 

• Price preview: You can check the total price guests will pay before they book right from your hosting calendar.
  • Longer-stay discounts: Weekly and monthly discounts often lead to higher occupancy, lower turnover, and less work for you.

Get tips for how and when to use these tools on the Resource Center.

How do you keep your pricing competitive throughout the year?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

7 Replies 7
Burke10
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

And yet still not displaying Pet Fees. 😤

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stephanie,

This change is very easy to miss.  Although the invitation to try total pricing is mention at the top of the page, it's not highlighted and I didn't notice it until I looked for it after reading your post. 

Debra300_1-1671164616078.png

IMO, it would be better positioned if it was listed as an option in the expanded search fields banner right before the Search button.  

Debra300_2-1671164778299.png

The current location of the toggle is just odd to me.

Debra300_0-1671165169156.png

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is very valuable usability feedback @Debra300 - appreciate you taking the time to also provide screenshots to make it super clear.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Loretta126
Level 10
Katy, TX

@Stephanie Will AirBnB report out on the percent of guests that search with the new Total tool, such as in the 1Q 2023 financial reporting? 

I'd consider using simplified pricing if the majority of guests used the Total search option. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie I immediately found this toggle for travel/guests  and switched it for myself for travel but if I didn't search and KNOW it was there I would have missed finding it. Its not obvious, and a little too small in my opinion. 

I don't understand why the total price is not shown this way as a standard? Why is it an optional thing? People/guests - I include myself in traveling want to know the total price and when seeing that and looking, comparing different options I make my adjustments. 

We want all guests to feel they are getting what they pay for....so this seems like the best way to sell our listings....with total price. No one likes to get all excited about a place for $109 nightly and end up looking at a total AFTER for way over $300 + nightly pricing. So the most transparency possible from the get go seems just logical, smart & good business.  Showing all pricing, and fees so guests aren't disappointed or feeling tricked, or bait and switched as many like to call it. 

When I'm a guest nightly rate matters - but the bottom line is the total price! And we know some hosts charge big cleaning fees, others no cleaning fees and such so total pricing seems very smart and logical.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Clara116,

Vrbo also has options for nightly price or total price within its Price filter, and they aren't visible unless searchers select that filter, but the popular filters are on the front page and not hidden behind a a.  Once total price is selected it becomes the default for all future searches.  

Debra300_1-1673287807120.png

I think Airbnb's placement for the Filters button total price selector is not prominently displayed, and would be better if they were located on the same line level as the primary search fields.  Their current placements don't seem like they are directly part of the search refinement.

Debra300_2-1673288992289.png

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I meant to say that the search refinement filters aren't hidden behind a button that is poorly located.  Where it is presently placed seems like it's a filter just for categories.