Protecting yourself and your guests during flu season

Airbnb
Official Account

Protecting yourself and your guests during flu season

Cleaning tips 1.jpeg

As you may know, flu season is in full force in many parts of the world, so we thought we’d take a moment to talk about some of the ways you can protect yourself and your guests from the health risks posed by the flu, common cold, and other illnesses. Here are a few important cleaning tips and hygiene recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)*:

• Disinfect surfaces often, especially between stays. Pay extra attention to areas that are touched regularly, such as doorknobs, drawer pulls, the toilet flush lever, faucet handles, remote controls, and light switches.

• For best results, let your cleaning solution stand. Wait 3-5 minutes before wiping a sprayed surface to give it time to really disinfect. When using antibacterial wipes, like for cleaning remote controls and other electronic items, you may need to use more than one wipe for the surface to remain wet long enough to properly disinfect.

• Wash towels and linens regularly. And if possible, provide separate hand towels for each guest. You already know to launder towels and linens between stays. For longer-stay guests, you may want to wash linens and towels every couple of days. If you don’t have a way to easily do that, consider having enough supplies available so they can grab a fresh set.

• Help guests prevent germs from spreading. You can start by stocking your space with plenty of tissue, disposable paper towels, hand soap, and hand sanitizer.

• Protect yourself when cleaning. If you don’t use a professional cleaner, help guard against germs by wearing gloves, especially when handling trash, food scraps, and other waste. And remember to wash your hands when you’re done. If you can, consider swapping your waste bins for the hands-free variety.

• Wash your hands regularly. We’re saying this one more time because it’s just that important. Make sure you’re using soap and warm water, and scrub for at least 20 seconds before you rinse. Regular hand washing is always a good idea, and it’s especially important if you host a private room or greet your guests in person.

We’d also like to acknowledge the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is having on our global community of hosts and guests. You can find updates on our policies regarding the outbreak in the Help Center.

For more information on preventing the spread of seasonal flu and coronavirus, visit the CDC and WHO websites. We hope you find these tips useful and that you and your guests are staying healthy.

*This content is based on publicly available information from the CDC. The CDC does not endorse this content or Airbnb. Airbnb makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability with respect to this content provided for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

15 Replies 15

Oh my gosh!

I highly suggest using a duvet cover over an insert and washing it after each guest without a second thought. I also suggest washing every blanket on the bed. It seems like a lot of laundry, because it is, but with two of everything we can rotate through the laundry cycle and provide fresh, clean beds and a relatively quick turn around.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what others do or don't do, but when I am finished cleaning my Airbnb, there is no doubt that my guests will notice and get a good night sleep!