Redecorating during lockdown

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Redecorating during lockdown

Liv_0-1588852294427.png

Hi everyone,

Since we’re all spending a lot of time at home, this seems to me like the perfect opportunity to be thinking of a decor update.

I thought it would be interesting if we could explore easy tips and tricks on how to make the most of this time by redecorating. 

Here are some ideas that I think could be fun and helpful to get the creative juices flowing:

Rearrange furniture - simply changing a room layout could be a great way of giving the space a fresh feel.

Change door handles - whether it’s the front door or the kitchen cabinets, adding new handles could make things look more interesting.

Paint - there are so many things that could be changed by a simple repainting project: doors, chairs, fences, cabinets and even staircases.

Apply wallpaper - much like painting, picking a fun wallpaper could make a room look a lot brighter and more inviting.

Repurpose objects (Upcycling) - An old stool that’s no longer in use could make a great bedside table. A wine rack could also be used as bathroom storage for towels and other small items.

Do you have any tips or ideas to share with the Community? Have you completed any cool DIY projects lately that you would like to tell us about? 

Feel free to contribute, I would love to know what you’ve been up to 🙂

Thanks,

Liv

91 Replies 91
Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, @Debra300, sounds like a big job! I'm sure it will be worth it though 🙂 

I had never heard of that acoustic product, sounds interesting (no pun intended haha).

I also loved seeing the before and after photos of the furniture pieces, those were some nice colours you chose! Please do keep the update pictures coming, it would be super cool seeing the rooms coming together.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Upgrading to eero home Wi-Fi, replacing some mini blinds, rugs and ottomans 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann783, have you got any before and after photos by any chance? I would love to see how those changes reflected on the room 🙂

HI @Liv  The rugs haven't arrived yet. I'll upload a picture once they arrive.

That's a nice thing!

Thank you, Liv!

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Liv Hello! Hope you are enjoying your new role.

I can't see when we are likely to be hosting again and so I think some painting is in order.

I can't stand doing ceilings though...

Also the woman in the pic must have magic colour changing paint

haha @Mike-And-Helen0 lie down on the floor with a long roller 🤗 to do the main part of your ceiling!!

Lying down on the floor I can do.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

The paints actually dry and she's been holding that pose for 4 hours @Mike-And-Helen0 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi, @Mike-And-Helen0! Thanks, I have been enjoying my new role 🙂

Have fun with the painting project, and please share some before and after photos if possible. We sure love to see those!

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

I ambushed my wife's Kitchen yesterday after lots of thinking about it over a couple years.  It had 3 clutter zones building up that were driving both of us a bit crazy in different ways. 

-Our medications/ elixirs and vitamins which once would have fit in a small shoe-box now were 5 times that and scattered in a bunch of areas

-My laptop computer area was here before, which was handy for me but Mel was always complaining I was in the way of her cooking and such

-the plant stand I built years ago didn't really get the proper light for plants and just collected crap and dust

Melodie is often indecisive on things like this so while she was away doing a 10 hour shift (elder care), I shifted into overdrive in her Kitchen.  I wish I had taken before pics, I wasn't thinking about it and just went to town on it but below are the pics of how it came out. Our new Med cabinet!  its chocked full !Our new Med cabinet! its chocked full !

This is the location I decided to put our jumbo Med Cabinet that We had hanging upstairs in out bathroom, it collected crap and dust mostly.  Because we spend a large part of our awake in home time in the Kitchen / living room, keeping the meds and other crap closer means we are more likely to be on top of them.  the 100 year old coat hanger bracket was a cute added touch that is functional as well. and I added the key hook for my keys 

My new Computing area (not really an office)My new Computing area (not really an office)

This once was a red elm plant table that plants really didn't like all that much.  Its now my new blogo-sphere,  a great view of the south lawns and my TV in the living room and Mel can use the computer as she often does for recipes.  The Items  left and right of my computer are all over the top gifts from a wonderful and very generous guest we love now like a sister from Chongqing China, Jin Mei and her family.  She stayed with us a month the first time and a week the second, hands down the greatest guest ever.  She cooked really delicious authentic regional cuisine for us almost every night (no organs, Mel and I are  Gringo's).  They are actually solid gold 1 gram amulets, a 1 gram solid gold bank of China note with certificates and a beautiful limited addition lacquered hand painted mini room screen partition.  We chat often and she has kept us up on everything she could tell us about how to deal with C19.   What a great person, she actually just sent us 200 disposable face masks because she was concerned we didn't have enough even after we told her we had our cloth ones we were using!  

What was my old computer area now holds the toasterWhat was my old computer area now holds the toaster

This was my computer area/ meds zone and way too much mess, the pull out butcher block now hold a toaster and Melodie can chop on it to her hearts content and I wont't ever be in the way of her cooking now, 3 problems solved in 7 hours, thats almost a record for me.  I teased her about my changing things while she was at work but wouldnt tell her what or send her pics as she requested/ demanded, ha ha. 

Melodie is a tough cookie and isnt always quick to embrace change so I wasn't even sure if I would have a verdict anytime soon that was positive but I always know immediately if its not.  I am please to say the Queen of our Kitchen (and all other parts of our Kingdom) approves of the changes.  After almost 30 years of being together I know that she gave the project her equivalent of a 5***** review from a Zagat critic.   I can't rest on my laurels cause there is always more to be done!   Stay well, JR

JR,

I also give you the universal wife approval for a job well done.  Now that you've decluttered, it will be easier for Melodie to find your next honey-do.

Thanks @Debra300 This time I need one with more power tools involved!!!!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Melodie-And-John0, it's always nice to know what you've been up to!

I must say, I'm impressed to see the big amount of changes you were able to accomplish in a few hours of work! The kitchen looks great and I really like the new medicine cabinet, especially the colour. I'm glad to hear you were able to get Melodie's coveted stamp of approval 🙂 well done!

I also loved learning about your friendship with Jin Mei and her family, it's always nice to hear those kinds of stories. Thanks for sharing 🙂