It’s easier to make plans for your hosting business when ... Latest reply
It’s easier to make plans for your hosting business when you can view your earnings in one place. Our redesigned earnings ... Latest reply
Carbon monoxide exposure can cause deadly poisoning, but it’s preventable, according to experts at the International Association of Fire Chiefs. Test your knowledge about these common carbon monoxide myths, and take steps to reduce risks in your space.
Myth: Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are the same thing.
Fact: Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, poisonous gas that can kill people and animals when it builds up inside a home. Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a natural gas that’s relatively harmless in small quantities, such as the bubbles in carbonated beverages.
Myth: All gas has a smell, so it’s easy to tell when there’s a carbon monoxide leak.
Fact: Carbon monoxide is odorless and impossible to detect without an alarm.
Myth: I have all electric appliances, so I don’t have to worry about carbon monoxide.
Fact: Although electric appliances do not emit carbon monoxide, CO fumes could seep into your home if you use a backup generator or have an attached garage.
Myth: My place has a lot of windows and open air, so I don’t need to worry about carbon monoxide.
Fact: Drafty homes can still build up unsafe levels of carbon monoxide from outside sources.
Understanding the risks of carbon monoxide exposure and installing alarms on each floor of your home can help detect the presence of CO. Airbnb will cover the cost of your first carbon monoxide alarm if you have an active listing. Find out more on the Resource Center.
If you’ve already installed a CO alarm, did you update the safety information in your listing? What other safety features do you have at your place?
Please follow the Community Guidelines
As someone who enforces the fire code, CO alarms are only really needed (and required) when garages are attached to the home. If you do not have a garage or gas appliances, a CO alarm is not needed (other than piece of mind).
I do believe in them for homes with garages and gas appliances. Do not install them in the garage, this will cause them to alert unnecessary and cause people to disconnect them.
The code requirement depends on jurisdiction. Some cities require CO alarms in all rental properties (long term and STR), regardless of appliance type or dwelling type.
I strongly disagree with this post. I had a carbon monoxide alarm go off in my place while I had an Airbnb tenant staying in my property. The tenant called me in a panic. I told the tenant to exit the property immediately and call 911. The fire department traced the source of carbon monoxide to a sheet of aluminum foil someone had left lining the bottom of the gas oven in my place, even though there is a message embossed into the metal on the bottom of the oven warning not to line it with foil. The fire department found the level carbon monoxide in my place was 311 ppm, while normal is 10-11 ppm. After that, I updated every carbon monoxide and smoke alarm in every property that I own. Whatever it cost, I thought, it far outweighs the cost of having a tenant die of CO poisoning in one of my properties. Carbon monoxide poisoning is definitely a real danger, and all property owners should take steps to prevent it.
As someone who lost two friends to a leaky heater in a building without a garage, please amend this statement. I know you mentioned it briefly, but CO Detectors should be used in any building that has any gas appliances. That includes ovens and heating units.
A must if you heat with a gas/forced air furnace.
Symptoms are lethargy/failure to be roused so it's better if they are located close to anyone sleeping.
The alarm should be closer/louder than a fire alarm.
They're cheap, I have one in each bedroom above the headboard.
I have gas fireplaces so I already have CO detectors. Generally I think they’re a good idea. Minus a false alarm I don’t see any downside. They’re not expensive and provide safety for everyone in the home.
We have both smoke and CO alarms in our listing. Some other safety features we include: fire extinguisher; 2 means of egress; grab bar for bathtub; motion sensor light for hallway, dusk to dawn outdoor lighting, solid core doors with self closures for both suite and entranceway.
CO alarms are pretty inexpensive. So-why not have at least one? It’s one less thing to worry about and especially when you are hosting families and what not- for peace of mind?!
In the USA and other countries generally have standards for CO alarms etc. When I travel abroad with Airbnb or any at other location I ALWAYS bring my own carbon monoxide / smoke alarm with me. Not all counties require smoke alarms in homes as a basic. **
@Bhumika we do not require a Carbon monoxide alarm by NSW rules for registration but because we have a garage attached to cottage we have had to have a heat alarm hard-wired in the cottage for NSW regulations. Reason being if a power tool or battery is faulty it gives off heat before smoke or smell.
I think that CO alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers are a must in every guest house. My country doesn't reinforce the use of carbon monoxide alarms in guest houses, but they are vigilant on the presence of the latter two. I think that it's a must that one uses all three. But I don't know how much of the false alarms will come from smoke detectors since most homes often burn rubbish in yards.
I'd be happy to test my knowledge about carbon monoxide safety. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, and I'll do my best to provide accurate and helpful information on the topic...................
We have both smoke and CO alarms in our listing. Some other safety features we include: fire extinguisher; 2 means of egress; grab ** bar for bathtub; motion sensor light for hallway, dusk to dawn outdoor lighting, solid core doors with self closures for both suite and entranceway......................
**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines ]
We leverage monitored Smoke and CO detectors in all of our properties. It was an inexpensive investment to ensure the safety of our guest and property!