The reviews system is being updated

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

The reviews system is being updated

dispute-reviews-XL_(1).jpeg

Hosting connects you to strangers from around the world that you’d likely never cross paths with if you weren’t a Host on Airbnb. Reviews are an essential part and natural conclusion to each stay – whether a Host rates a guest or a guest rates the experience they had during their stay, reviews are displayed publicly for everyone to see. With that being said, sometimes reviews left by guests may feel unfair. You’ve told us that you’re frustrated with the current reviews system, so we’re updating the way reviews work as a result of your requests.

Feel more comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review or not having enough info about potential guests with the following upgrades:

• Learn how you can dispute retaliatory reviews under our updated reviews policy.
  • Flag reviews from guests who commit a serious policy violation or violate your house rules.
  • Read specific details left about guests by other Hosts—and leave these details when any guest stays with you. 

Early next year, we’re also introducing a chatbot to make it easier for you to initiate a review dispute—without having to contact Community Support.

The same process applies to the reviews guests leave for you. Guests will still choose one to five stars for their overall stay. They can now also add a star rating—and specify what went well or could have gone better—in several categories. Only your overall star rating is factored into Superhost criteria, so your star ratings and feedback in specific categories won’t impact your Superhost status. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

137 Replies 137
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  in the video he says the "new" Ground Rules upgrade will be rolled out early next year. Suitably vague....  and we have been given no further details about what it will look like, or are they just moving the house rules to a more prominent position? 

And sorry to say, but like the forum "upgrade" are they going to remove things at the same time? 

We have lost: the ability to see host/guest profiles, the ability to see who liked a post, and the ability to see who are the top posters.  And what did we gain here? a bunch of boards with different names and nobody knows where to post anything so it's a mess. Granted, they got rid of a bunch of old boards that were years out of date, that was a success. 

I'm struggling to understand what the upgrade here even was. It was just a cosmetic change. So forgive me for being a bit cynical about the term "upgrade".... 

princess-bride-meme.jpeg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

Lol. Great example. Love that film.

Yes, so far, CC redesign does seem to be just changing the names of categories, putting the conversations in threads in reverse order and taking away a lot of the functionality whilst not adding any new functionality. 

Meanwhile, it has become more glitchy with the screen jumping all over the place if you are trying to edit a post before posting and even worse in the direct messaging...

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Huma0 

If you've any more thoughts or ideas about the redesign please pop over to the dedicated thread and let us know, we're listening!

In the meantime I've added your comments here to the feedback that we're collecting.

Jenny

-----

@Huma0 
so in the 40min vid done by Chesky, there are more details, but it's still unclear if the "ground rules" is just one line in the booking that tells them to follow the rules, pretty sure that exists already. there is a checkbox where they have to agree to abide by the rules as part of the booking, but I'm not sure if they'll link to our House Rules. 

Also zero info about Checkout Chores.  not a big deal as I already say I don't have any in my listing description, but I thought there were rumours that this was coming. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

Ah, okay. I hadn't seen that there was a longer video. Will have a look at it when I get a chance. 

From what I understood, there was already a tick box about following rules that guests had to check to confirm the booking (but to actually read those rules there, the guest had to click a link).

Airbnb have been promoting that, along with other reassurances, as a reason hosts don't need to be scared to use IB. I am pretty sure that, when I turned off IB, the messages that popped up trying to convince me not to, include a point about guests having to agree to house rules when they book. So, that part is nothing new.

What I understood, from the video that I did watch, was the new bit was being able to select from a menu of 'ground rules' (house rules basically) to highlight for guests to agree to. If that will now show in the booking process, then that's some progress at least, but if it only shows on the listing then, again, it's nothing new.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  i think there's going to be something new 🤞🏼 This is a really good improvement for us. I think these upgrades are all really positive.  

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

You've maybe already seen this, but I thought I'd share a Help Center article which might give you more information about ground rules. 

You could also always pop over to the dedicated discussion if you want to to into more detail about your thoughts on ground rules for guests.

Thanks for leaving us some more feedback about the redesign, which I've added to our existing feedback. 

I can see that @Emilie has tagged you in the redesign thread to confirm that we've already been making changes based on the feedback that you and others have given us.

If you've any more thoughts or ideas about the redesign please pop over to the dedicated thread and let us know, we're listening!

Jenny 😊

-----

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  i still don't fully understand how guests will see the Ground Rules. are these buried in TOS? and already there are similar rules that guests must leave the property in a clean state. 

these rules are also never seen by guests as they are in the fine print. 

all this is fine, but please reassure us that the CS reps are trained in the Ground Rules. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

Just confirming I've taken a note of your feedback.

I'm working to get clarification on your question and I'll give you a shout as soon as I have one!

Jenny

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Gillian166 ,

I wanted to address this question on @Jenny 's behalf. New Hosts will be required to attest to ground rules when they sign up for Airbnb. And every guest will be required to agree to the ground rules , before they book a listing. I hope this answers your query!!

Bhumika

Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

-----

@Bhumika  my 18yo daughter just signed up for Abb, it was a fast and easy process with no ID required and a few "tick the box if you agree" things that no one ever reads

And if new guests must agree to follow house rules, why do reviews not get taken down when they don't do so? How serious is ABB about enforcing this? Or if not my rules,  Abb rules which states they must contact us first if there's an issue? They should not be allowed to complain about nonsense in a review if they don't follow the house rules, and abb rules. 

I will add my daughter to our booking in a few weeks and see if, as part of the group, she is required to have ID. My query will be answered when i experience it, rather than believe in some vaguely worded guidelines. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

Would you mind reporting back about what happens when you do that - you can pop me a private message just to confirm.

In the meantime I've added your comments to our feedback!

Jenny

-----

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gillian166, viewing Airbnb profiles has been reinstated again and should work as usual 🙂 Apologies for the wait. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Quincy  @Jenny  that is wonderful news, thanks for letting us know! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

@Gillian166 wrote:

@Huma0  in the video he says the "new" Ground Rules upgrade will be rolled out early next year.

But @Mariann4 posted on another thread that she has already seen an updated format/version of the house rules on some other listings... So, if they aren't being rolled out until next year, what is that about?