The reviews system is being updated

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

The reviews system is being updated

dispute-reviews-XL_(1).jpeg

Hosting connects you to strangers from around the world that you’d likely never cross paths with if you weren’t a Host on Airbnb. Reviews are an essential part and natural conclusion to each stay – whether a Host rates a guest or a guest rates the experience they had during their stay, reviews are displayed publicly for everyone to see. With that being said, sometimes reviews left by guests may feel unfair. You’ve told us that you’re frustrated with the current reviews system, so we’re updating the way reviews work as a result of your requests.

Feel more comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review or not having enough info about potential guests with the following upgrades:

• Learn how you can dispute retaliatory reviews under our updated reviews policy.
  • Flag reviews from guests who commit a serious policy violation or violate your house rules.
  • Read specific details left about guests by other Hosts—and leave these details when any guest stays with you. 

Early next year, we’re also introducing a chatbot to make it easier for you to initiate a review dispute—without having to contact Community Support.

The same process applies to the reviews guests leave for you. Guests will still choose one to five stars for their overall stay. They can now also add a star rating—and specify what went well or could have gone better—in several categories. Only your overall star rating is factored into Superhost criteria, so your star ratings and feedback in specific categories won’t impact your Superhost status. 

Read more about it on the Resource Center.

Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

101 Replies 101
John6556
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Jenny .  There doesn't seem to be a way to flag reviews.  The link takes you to the contact support page. I called in to CS a couple times and they don't know what to do with new retaliatory policy.  I'm in contact with others and they can't get anywhere either.  We're getting fed up to the point where we are ready to remove our listings. You've seen my posts prior to this new policy coming into effect.  This guest made a serious violation to Airbnb policy by allowing others access to the rental without authorization.  There were other violations to the house rules. The guest cancelled and retaliated with a defamatory review targeting us, the hosts, initially accusing us of having a cam which caused suspension of our listings and then with his review calling us extreme monitoring hosts watching every move and knowing things he never told us about himself after I changed his access code to stop his girlfriend and his mother from accessing the rental.  We did nothing wrong. His review was removed in September. I did not reply to it as there was no need. CS reinstated the review in November claiming it was in the interest of the community to keep them informed.  Of what? An all seeing eye host that will never leave you alone? This is ridiculous! Now I can't even respond to the review! The guest violated policy and house rules.  The place was for one guest. I explained that to him before he booked, that I would make exception to or no overnight visitors rule and allow occasional overnight stays Saturday nights for his girlfriend. He hands out the access code and she was here every night in the beginning. Then his mother has the access code and just walks in while he is away. I have had enough of this retaliatory review and this run around!  John

Bhumika
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @John6556 ,

As discussed in another thread where you had tagged me, I have already flagged this issue to the concerned team. Hope to have some updates for resolving it soon. Thanks for sharing your concern.

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

Can someone let us know about check out instructions please.  Are these now meant to be written in the rules/policies ?  

I notice there have been quite a few posts lately from guests complaining about these and I really want to be upfront what I request on departure.  It isn't a lot at all, but I don't want to be dinged by a guest in a review if these are meant to be written into the listing and not left in a guest book to be seen on arrival.  They are not actually rules as such, but requests.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Ruth413    all the answers this week involve links! haha. getting dizzy. 

the video says the Ground Rules thing isn't being rolled out until next year, so i'm hoping we'll see some changes now and have time to be prepared. 

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Ruth413 

There's some more information here about ground rules, which includes check-out instructions.

You might also want to head over to the dedicated discussion for ground rules with any additional thoughts or questions.  

Thanks!

Jenny

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 @Bhumika 

In theory, this sounds good. However, it would be great if you could direct us to where we can find more detail on particular points, as the articles linked are really general.

The article linked above says: "For example, along with finding a guest’s overall rating, you’ll know how other Hosts rated them on cleanliness, communication, and following house rules."

But, this is nothing new at all. We have rated guests on these categories for years, and have been able to see those ratings from their previous stays for quite a while now. It would be far more useful if the article explained the addition of the 'extra details' that hosts are now able to supply.

In Brian Chesky's video (the one aimed at existing hosts, other than at attracting new ones), about 2 minutes, 15 seconds in, he starts speaking about this briefly and you can see here an example of the additional details he's referring to:

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 00.34.28.png

Where can we find out more about this or see the full listing of options? I assume there are more, e.g. regards smoking for example. And, if they are already in effect, why is @Gillian166 not seeing those when she goes to leave a review?

As for the details a guest can now leave in addition to their ratings, above you've mentioned that the guest can "now add a star rating...in several categories." Again, they have always been able to do that, at leat as long as I've been hosting.

Then the article says: "For example, if your place is super clean, a guest might choose five stars and “squeaky-clean bathroom.”" Again, is this new? We had something like this a few years back, only it was called highlights or something, and a guest could choose "sparkling clean" I think it was. Some of those highlights would then appear on the listing, but a lot of hosts didn't like this for a number of reasons, so I assume that's why Airbnb scrapped it. Are we now to assume that these comments will be visible only to the host they are being left for, or will they be publicly visible? 

RE ground rules for guests, the article on that says that the house rules will now be displayed more prominently, including on our listings. Well, I just went to check one of my listings and I can't see how it's more prominent. The basic house rules are still displayed at the bottom page, rules/policies, which was once one of the menu tabs that used to display at the top of the listing or whilst scrolling, is still not there. Again, is this something that is supposed to be in effect already or still to be rolled out?

Sorry for all the questions, but these articles are really vague and often presenting existing features as something new.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  in the video he says the "new" Ground Rules upgrade will be rolled out early next year. Suitably vague....  and we have been given no further details about what it will look like, or are they just moving the house rules to a more prominent position? 

And sorry to say, but like the forum "upgrade" are they going to remove things at the same time? 

We have lost: the ability to see host/guest profiles, the ability to see who liked a post, and the ability to see who are the top posters.  And what did we gain here? a bunch of boards with different names and nobody knows where to post anything so it's a mess. Granted, they got rid of a bunch of old boards that were years out of date, that was a success. 

I'm struggling to understand what the upgrade here even was. It was just a cosmetic change. So forgive me for being a bit cynical about the term "upgrade".... 

princess-bride-meme.jpeg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Gillian166 

100% agree re change to CC

It's a very frustrating layout, difficult to navigate and not user friendly, in fact trying to get to anything has done my poor head in.

Bring back the old version @Stephanie @Quincy @Jenny and others.

Please think of how others who may live with injuries, hand and other, feel having to keep clicking all those links and other extra clicks and scrolling we never had before.

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Helen427 and @Gillian166 

Thanks for the insight - we do really appreciate it.

I'll add this to our redesign feedback so that we can make sure your voice is heard, while any further updates are being considered.

Jenny

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Helen427  they won't roll it back, that is not going to happen. 

but i currently have my left wrist in a brace due to soft tissue damage caused by - wait for it - making beds!!!!!! haha. i did it back at the start of the year, when i was down on the farm helping my daughter with turnovers, left hand picking up mattresses, making 4 beds every day, ouchie. then i went back in april, may, sept, nov and each time it flared up again. finally went to Dr and she said 2 weeks in a brace, strong meds, keep it still. ha. i still run a house here (and we are selling so have to keep it pristine clean 24/7)

as a photographer i already get sore hands, and of course pain from using a mouse all day. so yes, i notice the extra clicks too, and it's annoying. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

@Gillian166 wrote:

@Huma0  in the video he says the "new" Ground Rules upgrade will be rolled out early next year.

But @Mariann4 posted on another thread that she has already seen an updated format/version of the house rules on some other listings... So, if they aren't being rolled out until next year, what is that about?

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Huma0  true, and in my dashboard there's been some upgrade to House Rules. I'm still getting the impression we have to report the guest to CS, which surely is just too much extra work to put on them? and if I report bad behaviour will the guest be notified, and then leave me a retaliatory review?

it's not looking like it's going to be effective, because I don't want to risk a bad review over it. For now I appreciate that with our reviews we can leave notes for hosts on what the issues were, and you can leave a custom note.  What might seem like a mild breach in behaviour (eg, parking in the wrong spot) could turn out to be a habit they have, and now we'll be able to warn other hosts. 

But this leads to another question, surely after a while a guest is going to have - potentially - a hundred notes on their profile. How many will actually be displayed? 

I know i sound like a broken record, but was any of this beta tested with actual working hosts?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

I have no idea if any beta testing was done. I know that I was told some months ago that the review process was being re-evaluated and asked if I would like to participate in the host feedback, and I said yes, but I never heard about it again...

Plus, the last 'feedback' session I was asked to participate in was about the changes to the host cancellation policies, only we were all on 'mute' and it took place the day before the announcement was made, so clearly the decisions had already been made and our feedback was irrelevant. 

There are a few issues here, some of which you have mentioned. IF we have to report the guests, then what are CS going to do with that? They are supposed to 'educate' the guests, so obviously that means informing them. That surely is counter-productive, as it's just going to encourage a retaliatory review, unless CS explains clearly that review would then be removed. However, it's easy enough for a guest to punish the host in the reviews/ratings without it coming across as obviously retaliatory.

And, there is also the problem of how easy it is for a guest to simply create a new profile if they get a negative review, warning or whatever. I have seen this first hand.

I had a guest with a really bad review try to book with me. I turned her away (her communication was also awful). She then tried to book under a new profile (also showing as verified). This time, it was flagged by Airbnb. I called CS and was told to block and report her, which I did. But, they did nothing about it. Both her 'verified' profiles were allowed to remain on the system and she was able to book stays. Meanwhile, I was dinged on acceptance rate.

Quincy
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gillian166, viewing Airbnb profiles has been reinstated again and should work as usual 🙂 Apologies for the wait. 

Kun je niet vinden waar je naar op zoek bent? Klik hier om een gesprek te beginnen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Quincy  @Jenny  that is wonderful news, thanks for letting us know! 

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

You've maybe already seen this, but I thought I'd share a Help Center article which might give you more information about ground rules. 

You could also always pop over to the dedicated discussion if you want to to into more detail about your thoughts on ground rules for guests.

Thanks for leaving us some more feedback about the redesign, which I've added to our existing feedback. 

I can see that @Emilie has tagged you in the redesign thread to confirm that we've already been making changes based on the feedback that you and others have given us.

If you've any more thoughts or ideas about the redesign please pop over to the dedicated thread and let us know, we're listening!

Jenny 😊

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Jenny  i still don't fully understand how guests will see the Ground Rules. are these buried in TOS? and already there are similar rules that guests must leave the property in a clean state. 

these rules are also never seen by guests as they are in the fine print. 

all this is fine, but please reassure us that the CS reps are trained in the Ground Rules. 

Bhumika
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Gillian166 ,

I wanted to address this question on @Jenny 's behalf. New Hosts will be required to attest to ground rules when they sign up for Airbnb. And every guest will be required to agree to the ground rules , before they book a listing. I hope this answers your query!!

Bhumika

Click start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Bhumika  my 18yo daughter just signed up for Abb, it was a fast and easy process with no ID required and a few "tick the box if you agree" things that no one ever reads

And if new guests must agree to follow house rules, why do reviews not get taken down when they don't do so? How serious is ABB about enforcing this? Or if not my rules,  Abb rules which states they must contact us first if there's an issue? They should not be allowed to complain about nonsense in a review if they don't follow the house rules, and abb rules. 

I will add my daughter to our booking in a few weeks and see if, as part of the group, she is required to have ID. My query will be answered when i experience it, rather than believe in some vaguely worded guidelines. 

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

Would you mind reporting back about what happens when you do that - you can pop me a private message just to confirm.

In the meantime I've added your comments to our feedback!

Jenny

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi @Gillian166 

Just confirming I've taken a note of your feedback.

I'm working to get clarification on your question and I'll give you a shout as soon as I have one!

Jenny

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay