Travel insurance for Airbnb guests is coming soon

Airbnb
Official Account

Travel insurance for Airbnb guests is coming soon

Travel.jpg

Emergencies and unexpected trip interruptions happen—and having to turn down a guest’s request for a refund can be tough. As a Host, you want to be sympathetic, but you also need to earn a living and avoid bad reviews.

To better support you and your guests, we’re introducing travel insurance. We want to give guests the opportunity to buy insurance for certain covered events that fall outside their Host’s cancellation policy. Starting in the next few weeks, guests in the U.S*., U.K.**, Germany, Spain, Italy, Ireland, the Netherlands, Austria, and Portugal*** will be able to buy travel insurance when booking a trip on Airbnb.

We hope that when guests purchase travel insurance and cancel for a covered reason, it will reduce the possibility of guests asking Hosts for a refund outside of the Hosts’ cancellation policies. You can get more details in the Resource Center

Have you ever had a guest cancel at the last minute? Share how you handled it below.

*For guests in the U.S., the travel insurance plan is offered by Airbnb Insurance Agency LLC and underwritten by Generali US Branch. 

**For guests in the U.K., travel insurance is underwritten by Europ Assistance S.A. Europ Assistance S.A. is authorised and regulated by the Ministere de l’Economie et des Finances Direction du Tresor Service des Affaire, France. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority, U.K. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority in the U.K. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the U.K. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the U.K. for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website. Travel insurance is arranged by Airbnb UK Services Limited. Airbnb UK Services Limited is an appointed representative of Aon UK Limited, who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Aon UK Limited’s FCA register number is 310451, you can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register or calling 0800 111 6768. Travel insurance is available to guests aged 18 and over. Full terms and conditions apply. FP.AFF.320.LC.

***For guests in the EU, travel insurance is underwritten by Europ Assistance S.A., acting through its Irish Branch. Europ Assistance S.A. is authorised by the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (ACPR) in France and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules. Travel insurance is offered by the insurance intermediary Aon Iberia Correduria de Seguros y Reaseguros S.A.U. assisted by Airbnb Marketing Services S.L.U. acting as an external collaborator. Aon’s registered office is located at C/ Rosario Pino, no. 14-16, C.P. 28020 in Madrid, Spain. Aon is registered at the Commercial Registry of Madrid on Sheet M-19857, Volume 1577, Page 122, tax identification number A-28109247, and it is registered on the Directorate-General of Insurance and Pension Funds’ Register of Insurance and Reinsurance Distributors under number J-0107. Aon has the financial capacity and civil liability insurance stipulated in the Spanish Royal Decree-law 3/2020. The insurance policy benefits and services are described on a general basis and are subject to certain conditions and exclusions.

The insurance policy benefits and services are described on a general basis and are subject to certain conditions and exclusions.

26 Replies 26
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I bought travel insurance before my UK trip in 2019. I purchased the additional CFAR (cancel for any reason) coverage.   Lucky I did that, because I was covered when everything shut down for Covid. Many policies did not pay out for that.

Although I was covered, reimbursement took months due to the high number of claims.

While insurance is a great thing to offer, one relies on the traveller to book the correct coverage - not just the cheapest coverage.  My guess is a lot of people will buy the cheapest coverage and then be upset when their situation is not covered, or they have to wait a long time for reimbursement. 

They are going to find it a whole lot faster and easier to complain to CS and  to squeeze hosts for refunds. 

Right now, I have the "Moderate" policy.  I'm finding people are cancelling a day before it kicks in. I seem to have had a lot of book-and-cancel-after-5-minutes transactions this week. 

On one hand, the cancelled dates are showing up and I'm getting requests for them. On the other hand, I don't like the quality of the last minute bookers. 

I'm considering changing to a "Strict" policy. 

@Michelle53 Michelle I do not think it is your policy. This seems to be happening at all levels. I really believe it is a different type of traveller who maybe as someone else said,  waiting to pick up a bargain  somewhere else or waiting for a freebie of some kind ., An Extra night free, or upgrade to better rooms or free stuff in the rooms  is being offered like candy in hotels.The customers moving over to Airbnb may simply be moving back to hotels because they get free tickets or free pool use or something . Either way they are not a good fit for most Airbnbs because they do not like the idea , is my guess. H

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

I think this is a really great feature!!!

Sometimes I feel bad telling my guests that I always stick to my cancelation policy (which they agreed upon booking anyways) when they call me saying her child got sick a day before their trip or so.

I always try to be flexible but sometimes is really hard to get re-booked!

Mike from West Palm
Claire1841
Level 2
The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom

I had a booking from a client who wanted to avoid paying through the air b and b  system for her partner/ and wanted to pay cash on arrival .

She booked for 1 guests and confirmed she was 2 guests coming.

I told her to book through the system as this was not allowed !

She refused ,  therefore I cancelled the booking in order to comply with the  T and C 

Now I am charged a huge cancellation fee for been professional and legitimate and following the rules .

Please advise what should I have done ?

Sebastian29
Level 3
Islington, United Kingdom

Excellent news.

Two years of being accused of profiteering from the pandemic. Another of having to explain to cancelling guests that yes, Airbnb might well have told them the host has the option to issue a full refund. As a gesture of goodwill. Then explaining that booking holidays during a pandemic doesn't always end well. And of course pointing out in the interests of balance that Airbnb  have that "gesture" option too.

And please no more of the "amending the booking" fiction.  Change a two week holiday in June to a weekend in November? Of course.... And shall I buy you a car and educate your children too? 

And relief! I'll never have to write another message like this one again. 

"Hi,

I've now had the details of the February booking through from Airbnb and I've attached details of both. As you can see I will be paid £522.30 for the September booking. All being well I should receive that on Saturday, twenty four hours after your due check in time. It's a bit less than I was expecting, I hadn't realised you'd opted for the cheaper, non-refundable rate.

For the second booking, I am due to receive £660.34 on 19 February. Once I have I shall return the £522.30 (assuming you've not been able to claim it on your insurance obviously). I will do that in cash as explaining to HMRC why I am refunding non-refundable fees might stretch the credulity of a junior civil servant who probably earns less in a week than I'm returning to you for a weekend.

I do strongly advise you to take out travel insurance for the next trip. About 80% of my costs are fixed (rent, council tax, utilities etc). They don't change simply because you cancelled. Doing so with less than 24 hours notice vastly reduces the chances of someone else booking and I wouldn't make a similar offer next time - no matter how pregnant your friends have become.

Stay safe and well and I look forward to seeing you in February."

Darlene103
Level 2
Alberta, Canada

Canada needs to be included in the Cancellation insurance Policy update.  Especially with the severe air travel cancellations and delays  by Airlines.   ASAP please.  We have had to refer guests to our Strict Cancellation policy.  If they are cancelled or have a family emergency, insurance would help the guests.

Dennis323
Level 2
Malay, Philippines

Hopefully it will be possible for bookings in Philippines as well .. 

would make it much easier or all.. Bec the  guest already know it have nothing to do with the host. and the host can hopefully feel mor safe about the bookings.. Only have few experience about it .. wher guest cancelled a week before check in

Dennis Stender Kristjansen

I have a charge on my reservation for Travel Insurance Premium of $74.46.  I do not recall adding it to my  reservation and I never received information about a policy, what it covers, and how to make a claim.  Now that I have had to cancel the reservation, the $74.46 was not refunded and I don't have any insurance policy that it looks like I paid for.  I can't find any phone number to call to straighten this out.  The one person I reached through cancellations and refunds doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.  Is there someone I can reach to either get the policy or get a refund for the premium?

Michael7095
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

I added travel insurance to my reservation for a week stay close to my family for Thanksgiving. I unfortunately came down with COVID-19 2 days before my trip. I have already supplied proof of purchase, proof of payment, proof of cancellation, proof of the refund for the less than 10% of the stay from Airbnb, a full doctor's statement supplied by my doctor, and then I get another set of questions. Asking for information that seems so trivial or hard to btain it borders on stupidity or outright malace. For example, they want to transcript of the conversation I had with the doctor on call when I found out I had Covid. I could have easily included that on their form but it wasn't asked for on their form. They are obviously asking questions to try and avoid paying a a legitimate claim! Lastly, they have added an arbitrary 20 day deadline for my responses to their questions over Christmas and New Year's  My doctor is not working over Christmas!  Nobody is more disappointed in having to cancel the Thanksgiving Trip than me. I miss being with my children, my grandchildren, My 85-year-old mother, a cousin I haven't seen in 10 years. Yet Airbnb 's preferred partner seems very happy to nit pick me into submission. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael7095,

I am truly sorry to hear about your whole ordeal, especially the part about missing time with loved ones.  I hope you weren't very ill and have fully recovered from the virus.  Thank you for sharing your experience with the Airbnb partnered travel insurer, because it will be quite helpful for others.  I will also share that it's widely advised to purchase a policy separately from a travel provider because for a similar or less price, it will insure the non-refundable costs for the entire trip and not just the portion that was purchased at the agency (e.g., the Airbnb travel insurer only covers the Airbnb reservation vs. buying a policy directly from Allianz Travel Insurance would cover travel costs, accommodations, lost/delayed luggage, car rental, medical expenses, etc.).

Michael7095
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

@Debra300 I used the AirBNB insurance link because it was coming in partnership with AirBNB a "trusted Travel partner" of mine or at least used to be. Now they, Generali Insurance, are saying that even though I had 2 positive Covid-19 tests, from  2 different test companies,  before  (not to mention the 8 tests that came up positive during my recovery) and my doctor said that I should not travel and Jet Blue said I should not travel. That since I didn't go into the actual DR Office office and have a test there, they are going to deny me.  My Dr. told me at the time that I did not have to come in. This is a complete RIP Off!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael7095,

Again, thanks for sharing the details of your experience with travel I surer that Airbnb partners with in the US.   If you have the wherewithal I'd suggest that you pursue this matter to arbitration and force the insurer to prove that they shared the doctor visit requirement for claims approval soon after you purchased the policy.