[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

BeloRauschBG.png

Last Updated: Jan, 2021

Hello,

The policy update outlined below is now in effect. 

You can find out how cancellations will work under our updated extenuating circumstances policy, effective for reservations starting on or after January 20, 2021, here.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

Catherine Powell is back with a new Host Update, sharing how Airbnb is working to make our extenuating circumstances policy more transparent and fair for hosts. The changes—effective for reservations of stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in or start date on or after January 20, 2021*—will give hosts discretion over whether to refund guests who can’t travel due to unexpected personal circumstances. The policy will continue to cover natural disasters and similar large-scale events.

Get all the details about the upcoming changes to our policy here in this Help Center article. Please let us know what you’d like covered in future Host Updates with Catherine. As always, thank you for sharing the topics that matter to you.

*This policy doesn’t apply to Luxe reservations, which are subject to a separate Luxe guest refund policy.

175 Replies 175

@Mustang50 the phone numbers (hopefully one near you) can be found in a contact Airbnb post at the top of the help section of this community centre. If you didn't cancel your stay however I don't think you will have any success.

Julie4511
Level 1
Pitt Town, Australia

Hello

I had 4 upcoming bookings and then we experienced the major flood in Pitt Town where i have my AIRBNB cottage. I had a family approach me who had lost their home and contents in the flood. They asked if they could stay at our place. I was definitely not saying no but it was sad that I had to cancel the next 4 bookings. My future guests were so understanding and they changed their plans for this but it was disappointing that I will still be charged a $50 cancellation fee from Airbnb for each booking.

Leslie711
Level 2
Joplin, MO

As a Host if I have to cancel future reservations due to a report by a guest to Airbnb of bedbugs, then what? Am I penalized for canceling those?

Leslie
Jane3745
Level 2
Toppesfield, United Kingdom

@Catherine-Powell Hi, i have a guest who has booked in a child and we do not allow children due to a dangerous very deep pond that a 5 year old could drown in. It states quite clearly on my Airbnb page that we do not accept children but she has booked anyway and confirmed she has a 5 year old child. I do not want to cancel and risk my superhost status but she is refusing to cancel during half term week and reducing my options to get another booking. Grateful for any advice on how to handle this. Best regards, Jane 

@Jane3745  Call Airbnb and tell them this.  Tell them the pond is a safety and insurance issue and you cannot host a 5 year old child, as per your listing rules.  Explain the guest refuses to cancel even after being told the property is listed as unsuitable for young children and that it is a significant safety hazard, then ask for a penalty free cancellation.  Good luck.

Jane3745
Level 2

Thanks Mark - really appreciate the advice...but how does one call Airbnb...???? Do you know a number to reach them? Many thanks in advance, Jane

@Jane3745 phone number is 020 3318 1111

Jane3745
Level 2

Brilliant thank you

Jane3745
Level 2

Brilliant thank you so much

Peter3707
Level 1
Upland, CA

Hello,

I have been an Air BnB host on Oahu for many years and I had to cancel a guest who booked a 10 day stay a long time ago through Air BnB.  The regulations changed to now require a 30 day minimum stay for vacation homes like mine.  When I sent the cancelation, I received a message that I would be charged a $1,000 fine by Air BnB among other punitive measures.  I need to know how I can use the extenuating circumstances policy to have that fine reversed?  

refer Airbnb to its words below: 

Can a Host cancel a reservation without adverse consequences?

If a Host has to cancel for unavoidable reasons, we’ll work with them and help their guests find another place to stay, without the Host incurring cancellation fees. These situations include:

• Valid reasons beyond the Host’s control, such as emergency repairs (like a gas leak or a burst pipe) or serious personal illness that prevents hosting

@Peter3707