[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

Airbnb
Official Account

[Updated Jan 2021] Updates about our extenuating circumstances policy in the latest Host Update

BeloRauschBG.png

Last Updated: Jan, 2021

Hello,

The policy update outlined below is now in effect. 

You can find out how cancellations will work under our updated extenuating circumstances policy, effective for reservations starting on or after January 20, 2021, here.

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

Catherine Powell is back with a new Host Update, sharing how Airbnb is working to make our extenuating circumstances policy more transparent and fair for hosts. The changes—effective for reservations of stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in or start date on or after January 20, 2021*—will give hosts discretion over whether to refund guests who can’t travel due to unexpected personal circumstances. The policy will continue to cover natural disasters and similar large-scale events.

Get all the details about the upcoming changes to our policy here in this Help Center article. Please let us know what you’d like covered in future Host Updates with Catherine. As always, thank you for sharing the topics that matter to you.

*This policy doesn’t apply to Luxe reservations, which are subject to a separate Luxe guest refund policy.

175 Replies 175

It wasn't 25% of the cancelled bookings. It was 25% of what you would have received if your cancellation policy had been upheld. So for a host with a strict policy, it would have been 25% of 50%= 12%. And if you had a moderate or flexible policy, unless the cancellation was made close enough to check-in to ordinarily qualify for a less than 100% refund, those hosts were eligible to receive nothing.

@Tim2422

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Tim2422, welcome to the Community Center. I can see that @Sarah977 has given an explanation of how the $250 million USD support fund worked, which is really helpful. I'm just adding a link to the page which explains more detail on this fund, if you need it. 

That still doesn't answer my question.  Why have I NOT  received ANYTHING on those canceled bookings?? I'm just asking

@Tim2422 Then lets take it slowly. If you answer the following questions and flag us (by adding @.....Our name)  we can then answer why you have had no money for cancelled reservations

1) What was your cancellation policy when the reservation was made

2) For each booking cancelled how far in advance of the booking was the cancellation made

3) Were all the bookings made pre March 14th

1.) I have the strictest cancelation policy,  no refunds

2.) Cancelations were made anywhere from a few days before arrival,  to a couple weeks or so before arrival,  and a couple with maybe a month or so before arrival.  I was booked solid.

3.) All bookings were made pre-March

Thank you

@Mike-And-Jane0 

@Tim2422 How strange

If you go into your hosting account, click on reservations and then cancelled and see what it says under Covid 19 payments. 

A lot of mine didn't pay out as the check in date was after May 31st

Do let us know what you find - I had totally forgotten about the May 31 cut off date

Chris1845
Level 2
Fuquay-Varina, NC

Very wise and professional decision. 
#Kudos 😎

Bradley137
Level 2
Draper, UT

Ha ha too Late, a-lot of us have found other ways outside of airbnb to make money with our properties... a bit too late to start thinking of the hosts don't ya think??

Wanna give a sister a clue?….lol

Vladimiro0
Level 2
Ko Samui, Thailand

I lost over 1000$ thanks to this policy I never agreed to, now i do not have any bookings upcoming and you remove it...... kind of a bit too late for me. I never had a cent back for that money i should have got as i had a strict cancellation policy in place.... THANK YOU!

Myongsin0
Level 1
Soldotna, AK

Unclear why sugar coat with a policy?  AirBnB cancels at will even when host is in a conversation with guest.  Airbnb just called it a fraudulent booking an canceled.  Host is just left there standing by airbnb

Belinda13
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

This new policy is unacceptable to hosts with larger properties.  24 cancellation is reasonable under the current extenuating circumstances but to set it for all future reservations leaves us vulnerable as it would be impossible to re-let under normal circumstances and we need some financial protection.  Whilst the current situations continues however, we would be unlikely to attract any reservations with anything other than a 24 hour policy. PLEASE Airbnb rethink this policy.

Roberto-James0
Level 1
Albuquerque, NM

On cancellation policy even pandemic etc, you should allow them rebook but not give them a refund.  

@Catherine-Powell, why hasn't Airbnb instituted a pet fee at the time of booking like VRBO(so it is included in the total price)? We have over 60 listings and it is such a pain to have to send a pet fee request after booking the person. It would be so much easier to just have a pet fee(flat and/or a nightly fee per pet option) so the people can put the number of pets at the time of booking. Also if the person chooses 2 payments we can't send a pet fee request until after they are fully paid. This is an inconvenience for the guests and owners(adds one more step in tracking payments). We've been asking for this for several years now and I know other owners who are frustrated as well. I look forward to your response.

Larry393
Level 1
Bradenton, FL

I just refunded a guest because they had to cancel and I was able to book someone else during the same period.  How come AirBNB still charges be a host service fee charge when I do the full refund to the guest?  Full refund is $435, but AirBNB is only paying out to me the host $421.95 and keeping their 3% service fee.  This doesn't seem right, when I am also not able to refund the guest with a partial refund = only what I get from AirBNB which is the $421.95