We’ve updated our policy on pet fees for emotional support animals

Airbnb
Official Account

We’ve updated our policy on pet fees for emotional support animals

Dog.png

A pet-friendly space is one of the top amenities guests search for, which means welcoming four-legged friends can help you attract more bookings. Recently, we’ve rolled out pet fees and AirCover to make it easier to say “yes” to guests with pets. 

We’ve also changed our policy so you can charge a pet fee for emotional support animals, except in places where the law may prohibit it, like in California and New York. Service animals stay for free. You can read the new policy or get more info about adding a pet fee.

34 Replies 34
Lynne204
Level 3
Wrightsville Beach, NC

My mother who is extremely allergic to pet dander to a devastating degree will no longer be able to visit our beach home as long as it is on Airbnb. Brilliant.

Guess you shouldn’t have put your beach house on Airbnb then lol.

So glad that Airbnb stopped requiring us to accept ESAs.  I've hosted 2 and neither was a good experience.

When did Airbnb stop requiring ESA's? I missed the change. We manage 3 houses on national and state historical registers, and it's been problematic, especially at one that is also in a bird sanctuary...

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I'm really glad to see this update, after being the victim like many of you of a person last year who was bringing a pet to my no-pets listing, and threatening me if I refused, by claiming it was an emotional support dog.  She knew her rights, told me I could not ask what the dog is trained for, threatened me of discrimination if I refused, etc..  I think the "emotional support" thing was exploding and glad Airbnb took this action!

For all of you worrying about how to determine if the support dog is real: first now you are allowed to *ask* what the dog is trained to do, before you could not even ask!

And the new rules are clear, the dog must be under control (as such, obey basic commands).  Service dogs will have absolutely no problem displaying that they are trained and under complete control!  Most people with "fake" support dogs will however have a hard time showing that their dog obeys: come, sit, lie, heel, stay, and whatever service the dog has been trained to do.  My rules now say that the guest must demonstrate on arrival these basic commands to ensure the dog will not endanger the neighbors or the community, and I am sure that anyone trying to bring a pet by claiming it's a support dog, will have trouble demonstrating these things.