What would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings?

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 16.12.03.png

BOOKINGS! We all know how important it is to get bookings, but sometimes, not having enough bookings can make one wonder: “what’s causing this? Could it perhaps be the low season, or maybe some other factors?” 

This is where the Community Center, a place where so many Hosts support each other together, is a wonderful source of information. It's a great place to ask for advice on certain topics or to learn new tips and tricks, and share the benefit of your experiences.

So, what would you advise someone who wants to get more bookings? 

Could it be keeping your calendar up-to-date, minimum stays, cancellation policy, or perhaps the pricing? Am I just scratching the surface? 🧐 

Please share your answers below, as I am sure that your fellow Hosts will benefit from hearing from you! 🙂

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

38 Replies 38
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann72 which is the sad part?? It's tricky to work out which response is to which response when responding... Haha!

@Helen427 ok to your point and the bigger question about why we are in the position of having to defend against a deadly virus. I get you. Here are some nutrition tips to help fend off viruses generally xx

https://click.convertkit-mail4.com/mvukwrzz53i5hler2rim/x0hph6hn9ml7rvh5/aHR0cHM6Ly9jaHJpc21hc3Rlcmp...

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

Checking out the competition's pricing has been much harder since the pandemic. On first impressions, it seems that a lot of places have slashed their prices and there seem to be more bargains around. Also, pre-Covid guests asking for extra discounts was not rare, but not that common either. Since the pandemic started, it's the most common question I'm asked. 

However, I'm still not willing to slash my prices. Much as I love a bargain myself, in terms of Airbnb guests, those who want everything for very little tend never to be satisfied and leave the worse ratings. I want the guests who appreciate the value I'm offering. Only last night, a current guest reminded me that my listings are 'really, really nice' so I should not compare myself to the cheaper ones. She is staying in my smallest room, but seems to think it's worth the price. The previous guest badgered me for an extra discount before she booked and then gave me 3 stars for value. I would rather have less bookings and better guests.

The other thing I realised is that there are a lot of listings that show up in search results but where the hosts are not actually accepting guests at the moment and have their calendars fully blocked. A nearby host with a lovely listing that I used to refer guests to when I could not accommodate them is one example of this. So, there might not be as much competition out there as it would seem from the search results.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Great points @Huma0 and I m one who's been blocking off. Just not feeling like it and have had some elements of nuisance to deal with... plus having to think about bills with someone working from home... Will there be any profit? Its cold in UK at the mo! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary996 

I think that is fair enough.

Yes, the heating in winter has always been a constant issue for me as it's a big, old house but it definitely seems to be even more of an issue these days as some people are spending a lot more time at home during the day, plus we are in the middle of an energy crisis and prices are spiralling out of control.

Unfortunately, many guests do not understand that central heating means heating the whole house (unless you are able to keep adjusting the valves for every radiator and that's not possible unless you have a very fancy hi-tech system). So, if one guest wants to stay at home all the time and have the heating on full blast, I have to heat a four storey house for them.

I won't lie. It is a pain in the backside. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Haha.

@Huma0

You said it girl. And they want to wander around in shorts and a Tee shirt...!!

Saying "I come from a warm country".

Well put some warm clothes on and catch onto a new culture...!! 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I didn't say @Huma0. Just thought it. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary996 

Oh, but how I've wanted to say it.

There was the guy from Miami who came to stay in June, when the temperature was in the 20s.

One day it poured with rain but it wasn't cold out. He decided to go for a run in the rain but, rather than have a hot shower and put on some dry clothes, he demanded I put the heating on, and I mean he demanded. When I told him we did not usually have the heating on in the summer and that it wasn't cold outside, he replied, "Well, this is not warm where I come from. If I were you, I would just do it," and marched upstairs.

I was not about to turn on the central heating for the whole house when the other guests all had their windows open, so I gave him an electric heater for his room. He seemed satisfied with that but spent the rest of his stay wearing shorts and a vest.

If you want things to be just like Miami, then stay in Miami. The most annoying guests are the ones that keep commenting, "This is not normal where I come from... We don't do that where I come from... Where I come from, every house has this or that..."

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Exactly @Huma0....!!

Its amazing. Why have they come on holiday, or to another culture???!!!! And what a horrible thing to say both giving you orders and semi threatening. He needs to pay the full bill! 

I see you're in London... my old stamping ground. Have you by any chance calculated the additional heating costs of  such forays? Soneone on here does apparently charge extra outside defined heating times. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary996 

It's something that has crossed my mind from time to time, but always seemed like it would be complicated and problematic.

I've just had my smart meters installed, so perhaps it would not be that complicated to work out the approximate costs, but getting guests to pay this would be more tricky, especially as it's a big house with different guests staying at the same time. I've often had times where one guest says they are freezing and wants the heating on and another has their windows wide open. 

So, if I just have to be logical about it and try to keep a balance. Although winter is obviously the most costly time heating wise, I find that late spring and late summer/early autumn are the trickiest times when it comes to keeping everyone happy as you often get guests demanding the heating on when everyone else is perfectly comfortable without it and we have doors and windows open.