Additional Charges - Option of additional per ROOM or per guest needed for ENTIRE HOUSE RENTAL

Answered!
Francesca-and-Dave0
Level 10
Vermont, United States

Additional Charges - Option of additional per ROOM or per guest needed for ENTIRE HOUSE RENTAL

After a 3 year hiatus, I have re-activated one of our listings here on the Air BnB platform and I notice an issue that was raised in re booking options by several hosts at least 5 years ago has not yet been addressed and I’m trying to understand the rationale for this limitation. 

The situation: I have an entire house rental that I rent via non-AirBnB venues as either a whole house rental with ONE bedroom or a whole house rental with TWO bedrooms or a whole house rental with THREE bedrooms by locking and unlocking the extra bedrooms depending on the number of guests and how they want to use the bedrooms.

This allows us an option to provide more affordable accommodations to a single traveler or a couple traveling together who need only ONE bedroom, but still want a whole house rental or people traveling who need two, but not three, bedrooms and still want the whole house experience. One bedroom is less cleaning time and less cost for utilities and supplies with fewer people than 2 or 3 bedrooms so we can pass those savings on to guests who can pay for only what they need and want. I charge a base rate for the whole house and one bedroom and add an additional charge for each of the two additional bedrooms when guests want to reserve them. This has worked beautifully for us for years — except on Air BnB.

For example, a couple traveling with their child who want a bedroom for themselves and a separate bedroom for their one child, or a separate bedroom for each of their two children, can easily be accommodated by a PER ROOM RATE while a per person charge will NOT meet the guests needs. Another example is two or three friends, or two or three couples, traveling together who each want the whole house AND their own separate bedrooms. With a per person charge I have NO IDEA how many bedrooms our guests want — unless there are a six people which would require all 3 bedrooms. 

When I have addressed this issue with Air BnB their suggestion is to use the per person additional charge, which is useless to us in this situation since it’s NOT the number of people that matters, but the the number of bedrooms our guests want/need that counts. Air BnB has also suggested I list EACH bedroom as a totally separate listing that stands on its own, which is even more useless to us since it means parents traveling with kids, or friends traveling together, must somehow magically know they need to hunt down 2 or 3 separate listings and then make two or three SEPARATE bookings to get the bedrooms they need for their kids, or their friends, in addition to the whole house they want.

It also means we end up with people constantly trying to book ONE of the bedrooms at a very low rate for that one bedroom with its separate listing without understanding they can’t just book one separate room since it is part of a WHOLE HOUSE RENTAL and not a stand alone listing.

I have tried including several variations of instructions and explanations on our listing to help our guests book our property with the preferred number of bedrooms, but it really is too complicated and too much work for hosts and guests — especially when a simple solution exists. 

The last suggestion I had from AirBnB was that I just set a whole house rate and hope for the best in bookings…?! While I may not understand Air BnB’s reasoning, what I do know from having been in this business for 30 years is MY property and MY market and MY guests, which all do best with the capability to book the whole house with an option for one, two or three bedrooms. That is how we get the most and the happiest guests who feel they have gotten what they want for the best value,p.

I don’t understand why there can’t be an option under the additional fees section for ADDITIONAL ROOMS as well as additional guests since having BOTH options makes the most sense to the most hosts and guests. Is there a specific reason for not allowing this — especially after it has been requested for at least 5 years? Has anyone else had this issue or found a solution for it here on Air BnB? With the New Host Tools I wish they address REAL issues that hosts are concerned about and which hosts have raised repeatedly. 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Francesca-and-Dave0 The way to achieve what you want is to have a 3bed listing, a 2 bed listing and a 1 bed listing.

You will need to make one of these request to book and the other two can be Instant Book with their calendars linked to stop double bookings. 

You can also block the smaller listings when it is high season and you have a reasonable chance of booking the 3 bed listing.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lisa8784 I was thinking something like thi

Prime-Line Security Oil Rubbed Bronze Mortise Lockset 1-3/4 in.

I can't postthelink but look on the ACE hardware site

Thank you SO much!