Advice

Answered!

Advice

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 11.56.06.png

Hello,

new to Airbnb, could I get feedback on my listing.  Haven’t had any bookings yet 

View on AirbnbHome in San Antonio · ★New · 3 bedrooms · 3 beds · 3 bathrooms

1 Best Answer
Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Kamal-Jayantilal0 

What a beautiful house you have!

You’ve done a great job presenting it with your professional-looking photos, so everything is perfect there. One key tip I always recommend is filling out all the fields Airbnb prompts you to, including your personal profile, which currently doesn't share much about you. But that's not where the main issue lies at the moment.

The Airbnb market in San Antonio is pretty saturated, with lots of listings similar to yours, so the competition is fierce.

When I zoom into the Beacon Hill neighborhood on Airbnb’s map (as shown in the screenshot below), I see about 380 listings in the specific area you’re located in. Your listing is currently showing up on page 9 out of the 15 pages Airbnb is displaying (which covers only about 300 listings). 

Karen4131_1-1727257962604.png

Karen4131_0-1727257890997.png

If I zoom out just a little, your listing doesn’t appear at all. This means your listing is close to being invisible, and something needs to be done to improve your ranking. - You can have the most amazing place, but if Airbnb’s search algorithm isn’t showing your listing to potential guests, it doesn’t do much good.

There are several strategies you can implement to improve your ranking. Airbnb’s algorithm tends to promote listings that it believes have the best chance of getting booked. The first and most important step is to price your place competitively—below the market average—until you gather a solid number of 5-star reviews. Right now, you don’t have any 5-star reviews to boost your visibility, so a great pricing strategy can help you break into the market. You can always raise the price later once your reviews are established.

There are many other factors that influence your search ranking. Airbnb itself provides some basic and important insights here: https://airbnb.com/help/article/39, and you can find even more tips by searching for "Airbnb search algorithm 2024." There's a lot of valuable information out there.

Mastering your ranking is almost like a little science—and even a bit of a sport. Many hosts aren't fully aware of how impactful it can be to "do everything right," so it’s definitely worth investing time in this if you want to run a successful rental business and maintain visibility on Airbnb.

Best of luck with your beautiful place!

- Karen

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Andrea6232
Level 10
Bergamo, Italy

Ciao @Kamal-Jayantilal0 ,

I looked at your listing, very beautiful house, congratulations! If I can give you some advice I would work more on the texts trying to tell a story that encourages the guest to book. Put yourself in the guest's shoes and try to understand why you would like to stay in your house 😉

Andrea

https://airbnb.com/h/la-casa-sul-canale-con-piscina-jacuzzi-in-giardino

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Kamal-Jayantilal0 

What a beautiful house you have!

You’ve done a great job presenting it with your professional-looking photos, so everything is perfect there. One key tip I always recommend is filling out all the fields Airbnb prompts you to, including your personal profile, which currently doesn't share much about you. But that's not where the main issue lies at the moment.

The Airbnb market in San Antonio is pretty saturated, with lots of listings similar to yours, so the competition is fierce.

When I zoom into the Beacon Hill neighborhood on Airbnb’s map (as shown in the screenshot below), I see about 380 listings in the specific area you’re located in. Your listing is currently showing up on page 9 out of the 15 pages Airbnb is displaying (which covers only about 300 listings). 

Karen4131_1-1727257962604.png

Karen4131_0-1727257890997.png

If I zoom out just a little, your listing doesn’t appear at all. This means your listing is close to being invisible, and something needs to be done to improve your ranking. - You can have the most amazing place, but if Airbnb’s search algorithm isn’t showing your listing to potential guests, it doesn’t do much good.

There are several strategies you can implement to improve your ranking. Airbnb’s algorithm tends to promote listings that it believes have the best chance of getting booked. The first and most important step is to price your place competitively—below the market average—until you gather a solid number of 5-star reviews. Right now, you don’t have any 5-star reviews to boost your visibility, so a great pricing strategy can help you break into the market. You can always raise the price later once your reviews are established.

There are many other factors that influence your search ranking. Airbnb itself provides some basic and important insights here: https://airbnb.com/help/article/39, and you can find even more tips by searching for "Airbnb search algorithm 2024." There's a lot of valuable information out there.

Mastering your ranking is almost like a little science—and even a bit of a sport. Many hosts aren't fully aware of how impactful it can be to "do everything right," so it’s definitely worth investing time in this if you want to run a successful rental business and maintain visibility on Airbnb.

Best of luck with your beautiful place!

- Karen

Thank you @Karen4131 !  This is helpful!  Im

new to airbnb. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hello @Kamal-Jayantilal0 👋

I hope you don't mind, I added a photo and a link to your listing to your post. I'm hoping that with easier access, more hosts will pop by and support you with constructive and helpful feedback. 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you!  I appreciate it 

👍

Such a beautiful house Tejinder!

I am sure it'll pick up steam soon. Even I am new and was apprehensive when I started. But all I can tell you in my little experience is that you need to hang in there! Just be quick on responses and work towards getting those good reviews which will get you the desired attention. Things will keep flowing soon ... best wishes! 🙂

Sam7649
Level 2
Pflugerville, TX

@Kamal-Jayantilal0, you have a beautiful house. I would echo what @Karen4131 said. Often, even if your listing is good, it doesn't show up on the front pages when guests search. Since your listing is new, the best strategy for you is to reduce the price below the market average and accumulate 5-star ratings. The Airbnb algorithm will start pushing your listing up in the order.

Nicole3857
Level 1
Oakworth, United Kingdom

Hi Kamal

As others have already said, great photos 👌 ….however, I was trying to find the house tour, and I couldn’t? Also, more photos would never hurt -  2 of each bathroom at each end, putting things in perspective. Hall and Landing and Stairs. There’s a section about ‘entry’ - did you put photos of the lock box / steps to front door / lighting of entry when dark - all more photos you could add to increase the depth of understanding of where guests

will be staying.

2 of the beds are Divan - I would get a longer cover, and cover them to the bottom of the box - we have them in the UK called ‘valance’- it will neaten the bed up making it ‘hotel standard’. 
Also, the back yard looks really barren - no outdoor furniture or planting at all….just my opinion - but I really value being able to sit outside when away - I’ve bought most of my furniture for my AirBnB’s from Facebook MarketPlace, and it costs very little.

i didn’t see that you had a guide book - always useful to have.

i agree with other folk on pricing - go for the auto-pricing to start off - get some reviews and then review pricing. I’m always changing mine - adding in discounts for more days,

or flicking from auto pricing to non-auto, or reducing the min number of days, or taking OUT the cleaning fee (I like seperate cleaning fees, but many don’t)

hope that helps …..oh, and add a picture of yourself - folk want to see who they’re renting from 😉

good Luck!

Hi Kamal. 

I am also new in Airbnb, I saw a lot of advice about conditioning a stay of minimum of two nights, but in my experience at the beginning you have to accept one night stays in order to start having guests and therefore reviews. 

I have had about 5 bookings and 4 of them where one night only. 

Maybe this could help at the beginning. Your place is lovely! 

Best luck ! 

Oksana127
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

I had a chance to look at your listing, and you're off to a good start. I’d be happy to offer some feedback to help you attract your first bookings.

1. Photos: First impressions matter, and your photos are key. Consider investing in high-quality, well-lit photos that showcase each room from multiple angles. Highlight unique features like natural light, comfortable seating areas, or any local touches. Try to stage the space with small details like fresh flowers, cozy blankets, or coffee table books to make it feel more inviting.

2. Listing Title: Your title is important because it’s the first thing guests see. Make sure it captures the unique selling points of your space. For example, mention proximity to popular attractions, any standout amenities, or features like a "cozy downtown studio" or "spacious apartment with a balcony view."

3. Description: In your description, emphasize the experience your space offers. Be sure to include key details such as nearby transportation, popular landmarks, or the atmosphere of the neighborhood. Make the guest feel what it would be like to stay in your place—comfort, convenience, and relaxation are great points to mention.

4. Pricing: If you’re just starting out, it might help to set a competitive price for your area. Lowering the price slightly for your first few bookings can help you gain traction and get those essential positive reviews. Once you’ve built up some reviews, you can adjust your pricing accordingly.

5. Availability & Booking Settings: Double-check your availability calendar and make sure you’ve set up options like instant booking or flexible check-in, which can attract more guests. Also, consider adding a discount for longer stays, which can appeal to those looking for extended trips.

6. Reviews: Since you don’t have any reviews yet, consider asking friends or family to stay and leave you an honest review. Guests often feel more confident booking a place with reviews.

I hope these suggestions help! Wishing you the best of luck with your hosting journey. 

Hej @Oksana127 

The first five points in your feedback to @Kamal-Jayantilal0 are quite relevant and helpful for new hosts.

However, it's important to clarify that, according to Airbnb's policies, reviews must only come from guests who have booked and paid through the platform. Asking friends or family for reviews, without a genuine booking, could violate these guidelines​:

Standards for relevant and unbiased reviews: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/3055

Airbnb's Reviews Policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673

This ensures that all reviews are authentic and trustworthy for future guests—and in this case, it also helps prevent @Kamal-Jayantilal0 from facing issues with Airbnb's policies or risking suspension from the platform.

Best regards,

Karen

Thank you for your feedback regarding the reviews on Airbnb. However, I'd like to clarify that while Airbnb's policies state that reviews should come from guests who have booked and paid through the platform, it’s essential to note that anyone can officially reserve a stay—friends, family, or acquaintances—as long as they leave an honest review. Encouraging genuine feedback from those who experience your hospitality can be a valuable way to build credibility. Thanks again for your input!

Nicole3850
Level 1
Katonah, NY

It sounds like Karen in Sweden offers some really good feedback as she seems to know about the rental market in San Antonio.

I would try to think of something that stands out about this property like a pretty garden, walking distance to town and maybe basement for storage.  If there is a lot of competition, and you are open to long term stay for let’s say a family that is moving to the area and looking for a home or having one renovated, maybe you could offer the basement or part of ground floor for large storage.