AirBnB Map Symbols: Small Unlabeled White and Gray Shapes

Jenny1901
Level 2
Boulder, CO

AirBnB Map Symbols: Small Unlabeled White and Gray Shapes

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 11.00.12.png

In Airbnb's map search, I've noticed small, unlabeled shapes, either oval or rounded rectangles, unlike the usual larger shapes with prices. These are white or gray, and when hovered over, they reveal prices and enlarge, resembling the labeled ones. Does anyone know the significance of these smaller shapes? Any insight would be appreciated as online searches haven't been helpful.

5 Replies 5

Hi @Jenny1901 

We're all wondering too! 😊

Airbnb calls these "bubbles" and the smaller ones without prices started appearing on the map in 2022 (I think?). This was when Airbnb switched to an "interest" algorithm and when the categories feature appeared at the top of the search page. The guest search feature algorithm (and how the map appears) is dependent on many variables (your past searches, what filters you use, if you add pets or infants to your searches, etc.). How it appears also depends on how "popular" a listing is according to the Airbnb algorithm. 

If you click on the smaller bubbles (or larger ones) you will get a thumbnail of the listing to click further. You can click on the map and move it around and enlarge or reduce the size and the "bubbles" will appear/disappear depending on the area you are targeting. 

Maybe another Host can chime in here and explain why some lisitngs are displayed with a large bubble and price, while others are smaller bubbles with no price? I'm guessing it has to do with the search algorithm Airbnb uses.

The smaller, unlabeled shapes on Airbnb's map likely represent accommodations with hidden prices or special rates that require interaction (hovering over) to reveal their details. However, their specific significance might vary based on Airbnb's algorithm or promotions. In the realm of travel bookings, understanding these nuances helps users make informed decisions before booking and could relate to refund policies or flexible booking options, influencing choices based on transparent pricing details revealed upon interaction with these shapes. Exploring Airbnb's help center or contacting customer support may provide further clarity regarding these unique markers and their relevance to booking terms, including ** refund policies.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

Hi @Jenny1901,

GREAT QUESTION!

Oddly I never noticed these before but went to my travel mode & there they were. 
as @Joan2709 texted

If you click on the smaller bubbles (or larger ones) you will get a thumbnail of the listing to click further. You can click on the map and move it around and enlarge or reduce the size and the "bubbles" will appear/disappear depending on the area you are targeting. 

I also noticed that some don’t disappear & stay looking like all the others too. I also tried removing all search criteria & then tried again added pets, infants, # of guests, even high prices & some circles stayed where others popped up but to no rhyme or reason. 
Very odd. A proper answer as to the why I will be following. 
Bettye6

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Jenny1901@Bettye6@Syvie1, & @Joan2709

What a great question this is! I went away and asked Airbnb if they could enlighten us. Here is what they said: 

The App was upgraded/updated to this new layout, in order to avoid "overcrowding" the User's view. The small bubbles are other Listings.

• If the User clicks on them the Card Kicker (small picture with Listing info) will appear.
  • Also, by zooming in, the User will be shown price information, etc. 

This feature takes into consideration map zoom in/out, and inventory available at the time of the search (but it's not limited to these).

I hope this helps! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

But why are some bubbles white and others are gray?