Airbnb deactivated my account and left me in the dark

Garrett120
Level 2
Nevada City, CA

Airbnb deactivated my account and left me in the dark

My host account has been deactivated? I’ve had zero communication from Airbnb about this and have been left completely in the dark. When I contact the super host contact number all I am told is that the issue has been sent to a another department. This was 4 days ago and still no response. I have 44 positive reviews, a 4.98 super host rating and have never cancelled anyone’s reservation. The only thing I can think is I had a guest make a reservation for two, then brought 5 people and a dog without informing me. After creating a request for additional charges they refused and I had to escalate the situation, maybe the guest some how caused all this? Could it be this one incident has caused my account to be deactivated costing me future bookings? 

9 Replies 9
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Garrett120 Was the dog a service dog for someone with a disability? Were the 3 other people under the age of 12? If no, did your house rules specifically state no pets and no children?  What was the max number of guests advertised? In your house rules, did you advertise extra fees for pets and additional guests. We really need more info. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gwen386 

Yes, maybe we need more info to tell what has happened, but actually we shouldn't. In a fair system, Airbnb would tell @Garrett120 why they have deactivated him and give him a chance to tell his side of the story/produce evidence if necessary.

There are so many threads here on the CC, especially recently, from hosts experiencing the same problem and yet no response from Airbnb as to why they think it is acceptable to treat hosts as 'guilty until proven innocent' with no explanation for the delisting and no response for days or even weeks. It's getting out of control.

@Catherine-Powell has been responding to individual cases posted here, but this is clearly a widespread, ongoing problem that needs to be examined in the broader sense. 

Hi @Huma0,

Thank you for tagging me here.

@Garrett120  - I've spoken to our teams and it looks like your account is active. They've informed me that they were in touch with you and should you need anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Warmly,
Catherine

I have been reaching out to customer service trying to get ahold of a supervisor for over two weeks now to discuss multiple different issues. Please advise 

Yes my listing advertises no pets and $30 per guest per night over two guest

Garrett120
Level 2
Nevada City, CA

My questions, since this is an on going issue and may happen or already happened to you, why would we continue to use Airbnb? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Garrett120 

I personally have not experienced this (yet... maybe it's only a matter of time) but there are several threads every week from hosts who are experiencing similar. Bearing in mind that the majority of hosts probably do not come here to the CC, who knows how common this problem is?

Why should we continue using Airbnb? Well, from my perspective, there are not many other viable platforms for STR homestays where I live, but there are certainly alternatives for other types of hosts in other locations. The problem is, when a platform gets as large as Airbnb has, i.e. in some circumstances, operating a monopoly, it seems to think it can do what the heck it likes. 

Airbnb has no shortage of hosts. It is not that interested in retaining existing hosts, as far as I can tell. The interest is in more and more guests, and therefore the company will generally act in  the guest's, rather than the host's interests. Secondary to this, it puts its efforts into attracting new hosts. New hosts are preferable for Airbnb because they are so keen and eager and are yet to be stung by the system as you have been. They are likely to bend over backwards for the guests no matter how badly those guest behave/break the house rules, and that is what Airbnb wants. It suits them, so why would they change it?

@Garrett120 

I am 100% with you on this but as for not using airbnb for us all our bookings come from them none of the other work like airbnb not here in Phuket,

You can try other OTA's see if they work for you

Open another airbnb account in your partners name, 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Garrett120  @Catherine-Powell 

This is my guess as to what has happened.

1. Guest brings in more guests (and pets) who are not on the booking.

2. Host flags this with the guests and knows this because they have a camera

3. When the host ask the guests for fees for guests/pets not on the booking, the guest then complains to Airbnb about the cameras (even though in most cases the hosts has displayed they have CCTV on their listing in line with Airbnbs requirements) Airbnb automatically suspends the hosts listings

4. Airbnb does not bother to let the host know this has happened and often their upcoming bookings are cancelled leaving guests with nowhere to stay and the host with no income

After days and sometimes weeks Airbnb lifts the suspension on the listing with no apology and no notification.

@Catherine-Powell  this cannot carry on. Why is Airbnb continuing to penalise hosts who have done nothing wrong but simply are reinforcing their house rules. Why are you suspending hosts without notification when a guest complains about cameras that are notified on the listing in compliance with your T&C??

How is this fair to hosts or their upcoming guests who have their bookings cancelled?

Surely Airbnb should check the listing and if camera notification are displayed in accordance with your T&C the host should not be suspended automatically. Surely hosts are innocent until proven guilty and Airbnb should at the very least hear the hosts side of what happened before you take action against them.

Now hosts are fearful about speaking out against guests who party, who cause damage or bring in extra guests for fear that you will suspend their listing.

Sadly I cannot recommend to anyone thinking of setting up short term rentals that they use your platform because of the inherent risks of doing so because of your unfair policies which penalise hosts who have done nothing wrong. If I had CCTV I would have left your platform long ago.

How many hosts have to leave the platform before Airbnb listens.?

I and many other hosts have raised this with you before but sadly we have still not had an answer as to why this is happening.