Airbnb profile update policy

Answered!
Amalia91
Level 2
State of São Paulo, Brazil

Airbnb profile update policy

I apologize if this issue had been discussed before, but in a search of the forums I didn't find anything related to this.

Is it just me that finds this new Host profile change a bit baffling? I understand having to fill out some basic information, uploading a picture, but being asked to fill out personal information weirdly similar to ones in dating apps seems a bit much. That paired with the information that soon host profiles will show up in searches for places makes me feel extremely icky.

I'm a single woman living alone. I find the relationship of sharing my home with guest already really delicate and I always take care to make sure that no lines are ever remotely in risk of being crossed, but when guests are booking places not for the accommodations but for the profile of the host I feel like the line is crossed even before the guest even arrives.

I feel like this change of focus just ruins Airbnb, I always relied on the reviews of previous hosts and felt safe with this being a professional platform, but if the focus changes from renting out a space to strangers to a personal relationship it just feels like an invasion of privacy. I get that guest and host interaction has always been a crucial part of airbnb, but it seems to me that the basic information and reviews from other guests should be enough.

If I meet a guest and feel comfortable maybe I'll want to tell them about my favorite song from highschool, of my most useless skill...but being required to give up any personal information so that I don't get less exposure on a professional app just seems wrong and I hate it.

1 Best Answer
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Amalia91 

Sorry to hear that the additional profile questions have caused a bit of concern for you.

It is entirely optional for Hosts to add additional information about themselves to their profile, although we do encourage Hosts to share details they are comfortable with to help guests get to know them. 

I also just wanted to reassure you that all of the feedback in this discussion has been heard and taken note of, in order to pass back to the relevant team.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Ana-Elisa9
Level 3
São Vicente, Brazil

I strongly agree with every single word you say, Amalia!

I’m a single woman too, renting a room in my owm house and for me this update seemed absolutely ilogical in a professional app!

I wouldn’t add any other word, I’m definitely very disappointed too with this  update!!!

Ana-Elisa9
Level 3
São Vicente, Brazil

The jist is: this update feels like a shift on the product being an apartment or room, to the product being the hosts as well, and that's not what I signed up for!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amalia91 presumably we can all just ignore these daft questions? I don't plan on adding anything to my profile!

Amalia91
Level 2

Hiya!

can we really? I hope so, but I just got a second message today from the support team asking me to update my profile and saying that "Hosts who update their profiles by April 30 may be more prominently displayed in search results and featured on Airbnb".

Seems like a veiled way of saying "if you don't update, we'll kindly give you less exposure"

I hope I'm wrong...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes absolutely you can ignore those asinine questions @Amalia91  just ignore the ones you don't want to complete.

I'm happy to answer questions about my hosting style and a bit about my travels but my favourite song from school...words fail me 🙂

Amalia91
Level 2

Right? Or what I spend most of my time doing, how is it anyone's business?!

I plan on ignoring them...I just find this path concerning. I don't need another social media, and moving towards this business model in a platform like this just honestly makes me feel like bait.

but as I see, that’s not Amalia’s point. the thing is: where are airbnb heading to with this update? 

if what is being advertised is the accommodations why they need show our faces, and still why guests need to know this kind of info about the host??

and even: why do hosts that don’t update these unnecessary topics on their profiles will get less exposure?

the product in Airbnb seems to be now the HOSTS and not the

accomodations.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Amalia91 

Sorry to hear that the additional profile questions have caused a bit of concern for you.

It is entirely optional for Hosts to add additional information about themselves to their profile, although we do encourage Hosts to share details they are comfortable with to help guests get to know them. 

I also just wanted to reassure you that all of the feedback in this discussion has been heard and taken note of, in order to pass back to the relevant team.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Amalia91
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Jenny,

is there a link where I can find more detailed information about this update? As in, will the full host profile show up in searcher, with this new information (such as favorite song from highschool) ? Or is this information only available to guests after booking?

@Amalia91 the info is available to anyone looking at your profile. Have a look at ours where we have answered some questions.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Jenny 

I, too, was somewhat perturbed by this request for more profile information from me as a host.

May I ask, has this request also been put to guests? I.E, are you encouraging guests to share such details to help hosts get to know them?

@Amalia91 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amalia91 A bit off topic but are you aware you can limit your guests to females only?

Amalia91
Level 2

hi, yeah, that's what I usually do, but still if my profile is showing up on searches, where people can trace the block you live in, that doesn't make me feel much safer.

I think the main point of concern is the choice of even making this update, it just points to a worrying direction, even if we are not required to fill out this information at this time.

@Amalia91 You do not have to do this if you do not wish to Amalia. How do you go about having a co.host Amalia , in your case and with your concerns I would make it someone large , a friend or neighbour ,who would be willing to arrive if and when you need help. Airbnb by its nature cannot do this for you and always be ready to ring the police if necessary . People do not generally travel in order to attack their hosts but for many reasons . Its a good idea to communicate plenty before the guest arrives about their reasons for travel as well as the house rules. Many hosts find it difficult to assert themselves  and not everyone finds they are suited to running an in home Airbnb H