Allow different cancellation policies for different times of the year (FEATURE REQUEST)

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Allow different cancellation policies for different times of the year (FEATURE REQUEST)

Based on several host comments in this thread, it seems many hosts including me want the ability to set cancellation policies based on the month instead of having 1 constant cancellation policy.

This is an important feature for seasonal, vacation rental businesses especially, in vacation areas.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Flexible-vs-Moderate-Cancellation-Policy/td-p/328498/pag...

SCENARIO:

Have stricter cancellation policies during busy seasons, with higher rates, when people book in advance at higher rates.

When the season is slower, and it is to be expected that fewer people are traveling, a flexible cancellation policy would be more logical.

PLEASE THUMBS UP THIS POST IF YOU WANT AIRBNB TO ADD THIS FEATURE.

20 Replies 20

Hello Cedric, 

Do you mean for the cancellation policy?

How is this not yet a feature? Seems like a no brainer. 

Hi Susie,

I have recently joined AirBnB as a host and I have just asked if they have this feature (they don't) as I would love to be more flexible at certain times but stricter during school holidays and on bank holidays. I have submitted feedback and will wait to see what happens.

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Yeh I know what you mean.   

Like, if a guest has booked for a WHOLE WEEK, in PEAK SEASON, and at the full price (for me that is £350 a night), and it is on a FREE CANCELLATION until 5 DAYS beforehand - then, they cancel 5 days beforehand.    

So I have to drop the price to £150 a night and hope someone will bite for at least a few of the days. 

It's super expensive to give the Free Cancellation until 5 days beforehand - but I know as guest, I like to look for the Free Cancellation option.  

Yes, you would think this being the bread-and-butter of the platform it would be more important the latest summer 2024 release they just did of bigger profile photos, or stamps of locations a guest has traveled.

The cancellation policy option from 5 days to 1 month and nothing in between is ridiculous. I need something more like 2 weeks, and it needs to be customizable per day like a rule you can apply. I can't set a cancellation policy of 1 month because it's too aggressive for the whole year and deters some people from booking. However, I had someone cancel a Christmas reservation 1 week before check-in and of course was not able to get it rebooked, losing a lot of revenue.

How is this not added yet?! You can go in and add rules on specific dates, EXCEPT cancellation policy and customized smart pricing. I do not even use smart pricing because I have to tailor price by day of the week, season of the year, and holiday. I can't have my minimum too low and yet if I raise it, it can often go too high on days it shouldn't (that's another thing, the smart pricing feature often seems way off to me. Sometimes it prices me way too high and other times wants it too low).

Hi @Susie0 

I noticed Vrbo has added this feature. Definitely overdue on Airbnb and would lead to more bookings.