Another host is using photos of MY listing as his own!

Answered!
Deb154
Level 3
Kapaa, HI

Another host is using photos of MY listing as his own!

So, another host is using photos of MY condo in his listing. They are photos I took for my own listing. They are interior shots, and they show my bedroom, kitchen, living room, porch, etc... He even shows  a composite photo from a computer screen of MY listing, showing the actual condo number twice, as though people can rent MY condo from HIM. I reported this to AirBnB through the "Report this listing" option. No response or change. I called, talked to a human, he reported it would be sent to a "special team". That was two weeks ago. I spent a few hours this evening trying to get AirBnB "help" to actually help with this, and got nothing. This actually is fraud. Someone is actually on AirBnB, offering MY condo. At least, using my condo to lure guests into thinking they will be getting my condo, and then what? AirBnB was less than helpful. Apparently, fraud is okay with them. Has this happened to anybody else out there? Resolution? Did you have to take care of it yourself? Where do you report such fraud to, if AirBnB isn't policing itself?

Top Answer
Deb154
Level 3
Kapaa, HI

Update: After 14 days from my first notifying AirBnB over this issue, after several hours on the phone with very unhelpful and unknowledgeable "help" people, the issue appears to be resolved. The offending listing has completely disappeared. The email notifying me that AirBnB had removed the photos was actually mis-addressed. "**" started the note with the greeting "Dear **", as though writing to himself. Such attention to detail.

Anyway, some tips: Use Google's image search to spot check if there has been any similar misuse of YOUR images. Read up on AirBnB's copyright page, www.airbnb.com/terms/copyright_policy

They give the info they need to proceed against copyright violators. The blatant fraud was a higher concern for me, but this was the way to stop it. I had given all of this verbally, over the phone, and was told it would be taken care of. Don't ever trust these kinds of statements. Seems to me now that I was brushed off so many times with this sort of statement. The front line phone people, as I look back on my experience, seem more interested in getting rid of calls, rather than dealing with the actual problem. I am stuck with AirBnB. I basically have been happy with the platform. But, in my experience, they only work well when you don't need them for anything outside of contributing to their income stream.

**[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

View Top Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you @Deb154, for coming back and updating us! So sorry to hear that you felt the issue was not addressed as you expected.

Greatly appreciate you sharing some tips with fellow Hosts, to avoid such situations and keep a check on their listing photographs. 

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Glad the listing was removed. But what is really frustrating about all of this is that Airbnb is not verifying listings exist (and are owned) by the host. When I first started I posted a listing and had a booking in less than 24 hours. No one verified that my listing or photos were real. I once suggested Airbnb pay a local host with a track record to verify new listings. How hard would that be? Or send a secret "shopper" to each new listing to make sure the address and photos are true.

The platform is so ripe for fraud and the fixes are simple. Many cities have public databases that allow you to first verify the home is owned by the person claiming to be the host (taxes, property maps, etc.). Then match that information with a photo ID and as utility bill before letting a listing go live.

Years ago there were stories about people cloning someone else's listing and photos. Not sure why, years later, that hasn't been a priority to fix. 😞

Airbnb is the worst for this, they state they take it seriously but they do NOT! I am so confused and they are zero help. 

DO BETTER AIRBNB