Attention everyone, major website search issues.

Burke10
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Attention everyone, major website search issues.

After the Winter "improvements?" to the website I decided to use a work computer that is not signed into my AirBnB account and do a search to see if my property came up.  I searched using the closest BIG city and then moved the map to my general area. My place did not show up. Zooming in to our neighborhood didn't show it. So I used a smaller town closer to our house, still no luck. I then use the town our house is located, and it showed up.  Problem is no one would know the town by name to do a search. I went around with CS for days and they finally understood the problem and fixed it for me.  But a co-worker made a comment to me that his listings had dropped significantly in Jan and Feb.  So I used my wife's computer that is never signed into AirBnB and did a search for his property.  Same problem, using the most well know city near him did not show his property, but only after putting the exact small town that the house is in, did it show up.  My summation is that this is affecting hundreds of listings.  But can you get a CS to understand? Nope.  Is there a way to get straight to a Technical Support person? Nope.  Shame on AirBnB.  No feedback from AirBnB, and no way to get to someone that can affect change.

8 Replies 8

HI Burke10, 

My listing is new, within the last 5 days. All settings show its listed and active, yet other when i use a different computer of mobile, it cannot be found. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Steve3595 ,

Along with Burke's, I shared your concerns as well! Can you let us know what filters are you using to search your listing? The technical team member used an anonymous device and they were able to find your listing within the area. So potentially this shouldn't be a bug.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Burke10 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community Center and sharing this. Your post has a pretty clear description of the situation. I have raised this to the technical team to check if there is any clarification regarding this. Will get back to you incase I receive any information or require any info from your side.

-----

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Burke10 ,

While replicating the scenario you mentioned, the technical team didn't find any potential bugs or errors. Can you please share the link to the colleague's listing you are talking about if possible to dig into more detail?

-----

Hello Bhumika, 

I have this same problem. For example, I used the following criteria, and my listing did not show up!

- Houston TX

- Jan 16 - 19

- Entire House 

- Home

Can you please help? 

here is the link to the filter - https://www.airbnb.com/s/Houston--Texas--United-States/homes?tab_id=home_tab&refinement_paths%5B%5D=...

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Lala89 @Burke10 ,

Thanks for sharing your concerns here. The technical team looked into the listings mentioned in this thread. Replicated scenarios like the members mentioned here and they found that the product is functioning as intended. The team searched for new users & using a different device. And they were able to find your listings as should be displayed in your area.

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Burke10 

I am pretty sure this is not a technical issue. Ever since the Summer Release, my listings stopped showing up in the map view (and often disappeared in the list view) and this was reflected in my views and bookings. You have to pretty much zoom in to my street, and sometimes over the actual house, to see them on map view and, even then, one listing is hidden directly under another, so no one is going to find it that way.

If you look at the discussions here on the CC that followed the Summer Release, you will see that this happened to many, many hosts, and Airbnb are well aware of it. Any pretence of not knowing why this is happening, is exactly that - pretence. Brian Chesky has openly stated, for example, that a large part of Airbnb's strategy with the Summer Release is to drive hosts away from certain areas and try to redirect them to others. Showing reduced availability of listings (even though there are more that are available) is one way of doing this.

It seems that many hosts who were not adversely affected by the Summer Release have experienced similar problems since the Winter Release. 

Also, a lot of guests are going to just give up in frustration. Last time I wanted to book an Airbnb, it was really difficult to find what I was looking for, even though my criteria was quite broad and flexible. I finally did, but only after a lot of digging around, and because I knew about the issues with the new search function.