Awaiting guest ID and my calendar is blocked

Melissa280
Level 2
Portland, OR

Awaiting guest ID and my calendar is blocked

As an experiment I decided to go back to Instabook after making my rules clear in the little checkbox before they book. And I got my first booking right after that, 10 nights starting tomorrow. Great!

But it said “Awaiting Guest ID” which could take 12 hours to process. And who knows if there’s an issue with their ID?

Airbnb locked those 10 nights down with no way for me to speak with the guest or cancel because I was uncomfortable. They had no reviews, no trips.
Called Airbnb and they couldn’t cancel it, but luckily after 3 hours my locked up dates opened as apparently there was an issue with them. 

So I  immediately left Instabook and went back to Inquire to Book even though Airbnb likes to punish us for that (they take away that little box with our rules they agree to, so now I have a cut-and-paste a questionnaire I automatically send with every inquiry we get— argh!!)

At least Airbnb can’t lock up those dates on my calendar if I don’t approve them because of “awaiting guest ID”, right?? When guests send a request to book, it’s the hosts who have the freedom to instantly approve or deny the request, thus freeing up the calendar. 

So today, not only did I get ZERO notifications in my inbox of this new “awaiting guest ID” notification but they turned those calendar dates red (as if I had approved the booking and could not cancel!) I called Airbnb and they said the guest decided to retract request,

F3FD69DF-7F89-4C36-BF31-68F9538589C9.png

but this didn’t happen for 2 hours, and the request was for late in the day (same day request) so that blew any chances of us booking tonight or the next 2 days.

935EC3C5-9875-4AA6-B290-AA5165409589.png

****Airbnb needs to stop letting guests book before they have ID, period!****

Could you imagine going to a rental car company saying, “Oh I’ll take the red Mercedes for the week but I don’t have my ID. Let me just book the car now and maybe you’ll get my ID in the next 12 hours.” Why as hosts are we forced to put up with this? I thought if I went back to Inquiries I wouldn’t have to put up with this nonsense. 

1 Reply 1
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Melissa280 ,

Did you eventually get through with this booking request? How did it turn out in the end?

If you wish to leave further feedback regarding your concern, please feel free to let Airbnb know directly via the Feedback Form.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines