Bookings have declined

Michael7112
Level 2
Twentynine Palms, CA

Bookings have declined

My bookings have declined by over 70% in the past nine months. Is it just the economy, or has AirBNB done something to reduce views of our lovely home with pool in the Southern California desert. Wondering whether others have also experienced a decline in interest in their homes. I am about ready to take ours off the market and return to more stable long term rentals.

4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Michael7112  Yes, many have noticed a decline in bookings since last summer.

Do a search on “bookings” on these community pages and you will find enough reading about the recent lack of bookings and their causes to last a lifetime.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael7112 Airbnb's financials are strong BUT it looks like there are too many listings leading to poor returns for some hosts. In the UK a lot of people piled into STR post Covid thinking it was easy money. Many of these will no doubt return to LTR or sell up and the market will readjust.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Many have gone LTR. This is the most erratic year we have experienced in 8 years. Spooky year, like everyone waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I guess we're just lucky, but bookings here are as strong as ever.  Some of these places that are experiencing large booking declines are really attractive both in style and location. It doesn't seem to make sense. 

For us, summer bookings are always guaranteed, but winter bookings have become just as strong. We used to struggle to get winter bookings. But now, we have to block time for maintenance and improvements, or else it gets booked. Any month. And we're priced higher than average in the market. 

I can only reckon that Mallorca in particular has become wildly popular with both European and North American travellers, and that's only increasing. Other Villas in the area that we know are also enjoying strong bookings this year.

But it's a good problem to have. Counting my blessings.