Cleaning fee

Robert721
Level 2
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom

Cleaning fee

Hi,

Why does ABB apply the Host Servicing Rate to the cleaning fee?

This seems very wrong to me because the cleaning fee I charge my hosts is what I genuinely pay to get the apartment cleaned (actually its less) but for ABB to then take 15% off this I don't think thats fair. Yes I could put up the cleaning fee but that won't be right to the guests.

Thanks

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert721 if Airbnb didn't charge commission on the cleaning fee you would see lots of listings for £10 per night and a £200 cleaning fee.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Robert721  What @Mike-And-Jane0 said.

Also, I think Airbnb views everything other than taxes as “host fees”, whether it is cleaning fees, linen fees, resort fees, just-because fees, or whatever other fees hosts collect as part of their revenue. Fees that get passed-through can be viewed as expenses, which they are, actually. For instance, hosts sometimes charge larger cleaning fees to the guests than they pay to the cleaner, and vice-versa. The fees are revenue, and what is paid out of total revenue are expenses. Indeed, this is the way we are supposed to declare fees on our income taxes.

Anyway, Airbnb just looks at “The total we are paying out to hosts, minus taxes” as what they charge commissions on. That way, they don’t have to worry about what type of fees are being collected from the guests, pass-thru or otherwise.