Critique my listing - Brandon in Lake Tahoe, CA

Answered!
Brandon887
Level 2
Oakland, CA

Critique my listing - Brandon in Lake Tahoe, CA

Hi everyone,

I'm Brandon, a new host in the Airbnb community. I'm excited to be part of this vibrant group and am looking for some advice to improve my cabin listing in Lake Tahoe.

So far, I've hosted four stays, and I'm thrilled to say each has resulted in a 5-star review. Despite this encouraging start, I've noticed that my listing is not attracting as much attention as I'd hoped, averaging only 1-5 views per day. This lack of visibility has resulted in zero recent bookings.

Here's a link to my listing: https://airbnb.com/h/wolf-and-raven-cabin. I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback or personal experiences that could help me enhance my listing's visibility and appeal.

Thank you so much for your time and insights!

e9c208ff-318a-4391-8b6d-16bc2e9334c7.jpeg

Best regards,

Brandon

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Brandon887  The travel industry is dynamic, and there may not be much demand in your area at this time. All you cand do is supply a nice property with listed amenities and wait for bookings. 

I think you need some side tables in the living room. Where would I set down my drink if i were on any piece of furniture in there? 

I also think you need some area rugs and throw rugs in many of the rooms. They look pretty bare without. 

The house is gorgeous and you should be fine in season, and once you get more reviews. 

Good luck. 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brandon887 have you searched for similar properties in your area for say 3 nights or 7 nights? I don't know your area at all but some of the fees seem expensive to me. Only you will be able to compare properties nearby to yours.

Thank you for the suggestion! We are priced in line with the competition, but we could try dropping our fees to stimulate more views.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Brandon887  The travel industry is dynamic, and there may not be much demand in your area at this time. All you cand do is supply a nice property with listed amenities and wait for bookings. 

I think you need some side tables in the living room. Where would I set down my drink if i were on any piece of furniture in there? 

I also think you need some area rugs and throw rugs in many of the rooms. They look pretty bare without. 

The house is gorgeous and you should be fine in season, and once you get more reviews. 

Good luck. 

Thanks so much for your insights and reassurance! We went ahead and ordered some side tables and rugs.

Hi @Brandon887 

Wow! Luv your place!  In addition to the other great advice, just a few suggestions:

Cover Photo

Research shows that twilight, exterior photos do very well on Airbnb. I would re-shoot the photo you have now at twilight. Turn on all the lights inside and outside. I would add some string lights or stair lights going up to the front door. I would also add string lights to the top deck railing. Wait until twilight where you can see a warm glow from all the lights, but still see the house clearly. Try to get the sky/trees in the upper 1/3 of the photo. This conveys "cozy mountain cabin." That would make a killer cover photo.

Price
@Mike-And-Jane0 already advised you might want to review your price per night. It does seem quite a bit higher than similar listings.

Cleaning Fee

Your cleaning fee seems a bit high. I would lower it a bit...maybe $255-$275. Compare your cleaning fee to similar listings in the area and adjust as needed.

Missing Sections of Listing

Looks like you have some sections not completed on your Listing. Take advantage of all the options available to you to highlight your listing:

- The Space

- Guest Access

- Other Details to Note

Camera Disclosures

I would reword your camera disclosures to comply with Airbnb's strict requirements. You have to disclose if the cameras are actively recording audio and video in your statement. 

Informing Guests About Security Cameras & Recording Devices

Informing guests about security devices

There’s a balance between keeping your place safe and secure, and your guest's privacy. 

Here’s what you need to know:

• Intentionally concealed recording devices (such as hidden security cameras) are never permitted
  • Airbnb prohibits security cameras or recording devices that are in or that observe private spaces like bedrooms, bathrooms, or sleeping areas
  • You must indicate the presence of all security cameras or other recording devices in or around a listing, even if they're not turned on or hooked up
  • Undisclosed security cameras or other recording devices are never permitted
  • You must also always disclose if an active recording is taking place

Here is an example of a security camera disclosure:

"One, outward-facing, exterior Ring video doorbell that overlooks guest parking/entrance. This video doorbell actively records audio/video when motion is detected. Camera must remain unobstructed and not tampered with or disconnected”

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Hi Brandon,

You need some artistic touches--some unusual paintings and/or little works of art, preferably locally sourced and unique. Details like that make a big difference.

Your prices seem high to me, but you're in a different market, so this may be normal for your area. 

It's a lovely home, just needs a bit of artistic flair to really pop. 

Hi Brandon,

I agree that some art and rugs would make your home feel cozier. Obviously there is a lot of timber, so I would try to break that up a little.

The living room with the fire place is gorgeous! It's hard to see the mature trees you mention. Maybe you could try taking this photo again to show the view? I'd also love to see this space at night. I bet it's magical!

There is a tiny spelling mistake on your caption for photo 7 (sorry, these things jump out at me!).

I can't talk about the pricing as I'm in Australia and the conversion to US$ is frightening!

All the best with your hosting!

Belinda (NSW, Australia)

@Belinda375 Thanks for taking the time to analyze our listing, we really appreciate it! I'll get on the photos you recommended and fix the caption. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Brandon887

You've got some great advice from fellow Hosts here. Did you make any changes off the back of the advice you were given?  If there was a particular answer that supported you, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you. 😊

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for the reminder!